Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 05, 2024, 07:15:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking a rental Multi down(or up) the coast!  (Read 1376 times)
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« on: August 10, 2013, 10:57:50 AM »

Whoo hoo.  I just rented a Multistrada out of Sacramento for a three day ride/camping trip with the GF along the California coastline.  Trying to decide if I want to go South from San Francisco (done that route dozens of times) or head North from San Francisco.  Funny but I have never ridden the North Route up into Oregon along the coast. 

Does anyone have any thoughts about the North route?

Told the GF this is the one and only "passenger on the back" trip I am willing to do.  I plan on getting my rental moneys worth and riding 400-500mile days.  Luckily the bike comes with full bags as well.

The guy renting the bike owns a small company called Redbike tours.  His name is Ryan and was super nice and easy to deal with.  If you have weekdays available the price is lower than weekends.  He has a Multi, a Pangiale S and soon a Monster 20th anniversary.  Pretty cool when a couple of hundred bucks lets you do extended test rides  waytogo

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:05:02 PM »

I would recommend the north route, it has a lot of cool stuff. I would also be a little leery of that many miles 2 up unless she has a lot of pillion experience. She had better be the docile type!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »

North, definitely.  Take Hwy 1 from SF.  We try to do an annual coupla day ride up that northern part of the coast.  It's awesome.   BTW, you may not be able to do 400-500 miles on that route.  There are lots of slow parts.  Triple J just did that same trip from Seattle down to Laguane Seca, possibly on a Multi. 

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 12:36:01 PM »

Another vote for the north route.

You can stay on the coast until a little past Westport, then it goes inland to the 101 at Leggett and gets back to the coast at Eureka.

Perhaps there's small roads that stay near the coast beyond Westport, but I wasn't feeling *that* adventurous when I was up there.

I got all the way to Coos Bay.
Of course, it started drizzling the minute I got to the Oregon border.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
d3vi@nt

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »

Another vote for North. Oregon should be perfect this time of year (e.g. rain not likely). The coast is always breezy, though.

Have fun!

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »

I got all the way to Coos Bay.
Of course, it started drizzling the minute I got to the Oregon border.

We do that to keep the riff raff out.  Grin

Another vote for North. Oregon should be perfect this time of year (e.g. rain not likely). The coast is always breezy, though.

Have fun!

Be aware that there are some forest fires in southern Oregon right now, I don't know how close to the coast they are.

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »

North on Hwy 1 out of San Fran is really cool... but like others have said, don't count on 400-500 miles days unless you're pretty hardcore.  My Dad and I got ~100 miles in ~3 hours, flogging my old GTI around corners as fast as it would go (the limits of traction, not power).  It's a great road, but not one to make time/mileage on.  With a pillion, you're gonna be limited with how hard you can flog it.

Anyway... wish I had several days to take off and do that ride.  Maybe next year I'll convince my wife to make an "epic" 2-up ride with me.  Have fun!!! Dolph waytogo

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »

The stretch from Ft. Bragg to Leggett is one of the best Moto roads in the world. It is kinda hard to maintain a 70 mph average, tho!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: