Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 03, 2024, 12:17:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hit a deer today...  (Read 9239 times)
red baron

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 06:03:18 AM »

and humans have killed off all the natural predators....

anyway:

www.deerwhistle.com

these have worked well for me and are quite easy to locate and small.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
joshuajcrouch

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 06:52:12 AM »

Yeah on a much more positive note, it was wonderful to get out with a friend.  We met for lunch and cruised some back county roads.  This is obviously a before pic Smiley

You, sir, got lucky.  Wink

My deer incident didn't go as well, but at least I'm still here to talk about it....

That is what I am afraid of now.  I can see how it could have easily gone so much worse.  Not much you can do when a 300 lb. ballistic strikes you on head on.

Shocked
That was close. Glad you're ok. I'm amazed you kept it upright.
Similar to our problem with kangaroos down here.
Is it also a dusk and dawn issue up there?

Yeah, it gets much worst at dusk.  Its like the walking dead or something.  This happened in broad daylight though.

Glad you got out unscathed jjc  waytogo.

Thanks man.

The deer population has got out of control in our local forests to the point of causing environmental damage. The impact of the introduced species is such, that authorities have relaxed hunting regulations.

It does seem like the population has gotten out of control as of late.

and humans have killed off all the natural predators....

anyway:

www.deerwhistle.com

these have worked well for me and are quite easy to locate and small.

Thank you Sir.  I think I am going to give this a try.
red baron

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 06:57:55 AM »

Not much you can do when a 300 lb. ballistic strikes you on head on.

That would be an abnormally LARGE deer, unless you've got mule deer where you're at.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
joshuajcrouch

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 07:31:55 AM »

That would be an abnormally LARGE deer, unless you've got mule deer where you're at.

Ha maybe you are right.  I just googled what the average weight was of a deer, and the all mighty interwebz said 300 was average for a male deer.
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 11:19:20 AM »

20 years ago on Nine Mile (Upper Tujunga) off of Angeles Crest in SoCal I got my lucky card punched by a deer.  85mph right hand sweeper, Knee on the ground at 1:30 in the afternoon on a 100 degree day.  I just saw the bouncing brown blob our of the corner of my eye but could do nothing but hold my line.  The deer landed with his back feet just clearing my tank.  I broke his back leg with my helmet.  Other than nearly taking my head off it did not upset the bike at all.  I pulled over to the side of the road, put the side stand down and tried to stand up.  It did not work, for the first time in my life I was shaking too hard to stand.....

As a balloon pilot I think every time I fly that it would be a better world without power lines.  As a Motorcyclist every time I ride I think what a better world it would be without deer.

The reality of motorcycles is there are multiple random factors that we should be aware of and accept.  After all, if it was not a little bit dangerous, would it be any fun? 

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »

Shocked
That was close. Glad you're ok. I'm amazed you kept it upright.
Similar to our problem with kangaroos down here.
Is it also a dusk and dawn issue up there?

Yet we can't buy kangaroo skin in NY or Ca  Huh?

Dusk and dawn in rural areas, anytime in built up areas. 
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »

As a Motorcyclist every time I ride I think what a better world it would be without deer.

chug

And yes, dusk and dawn are the worst times of the day. Harvest season here in MN ratchets it up a few notches. Since my accident (at dusk, mid-September), my mantra is once the combines hit the fields I don't ride again until everything is out of the fields.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Doe-Foe

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 04:19:30 PM »

Welcome to the survivor's club...

a decent sized doe in October

I don't remember this impact

I remember a fraction of a second of this....
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 04:31:49 PM »

My lid:

Still have it on a shelf as a reminder. It's convinced a couple of buddies to wear better helmets.  waytogo

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »

You killed Bambi  Embarrassed

Mmmm..., venison  drool
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:39:28 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
AK ducati

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »

Glad you're okay!  At least in AK the deer don't really jump out in the road so much (relatively speaking).  Seems like their defense most of the time is to freeze by the side of the road.  Seen about 10 so far this summer do the same thing while I was riding.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 07:05:40 PM »

The deer population has got out of control in our local forests to the point of causing environmental damage. The impact of the introduced species is such, that authorities have relaxed hunting regulations.

New Jersey banned deer and bear hunting about 10 years ago, and within 2 years the deaths on the highways from deer strikes were up 300% and people were meeting bears as they took out their trash, so they put it back in place.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Fearnot69

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 07:32:49 PM »

Congratulations you weren't hurt. As stated, you were very lucky. I hit one a few years ago. Coming around a sweeping right hander and came upon three does crossing from left to right. I backed off and moved to the left lane from 70 mph. As I came upon them, the last about faced into me. I was on my Road King and I hit her in the shoulder with my knee and crash bar. She turned my right passing and fog light. It joselled the bike, but I kept her up. Pulled over and checked out the bike. Straightened the lights and headed back on my way to work. Not many can say they hit a deer and survived unscathed.
I often wondered about the deer whistles. Someone told me to ask a used car dealer concerning their effectiveness. It didn't sound like they were very effective. I could be wrong.
joshuajcrouch

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »

Wow.  Some crazy stories in this thread.  I'm humbled.
MendoDave
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 02:03:24 AM »

I've hit and killed three deer in a car but only come close to hitting one on the bike.

BTW if you ripped its leg off that's a kill.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: