Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 25, 2024, 11:19:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Might buy an 06 620 Monster. HELP.  (Read 7604 times)
amantaban

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 08:34:24 AM »

So apparently the free tank service for those models expired 8/14/13. Missed it by 12 days. Terrible luck. The cost for the service would be $990.

I'm sad now.

Sad
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 08:59:17 AM »

amantaban,

to put it into some perspective, I am working on a 2002 Monster 620 Dark that the new owner purchased for $3000.00, the bike has 6000kms or about 4000miles, between parts and labor, he will spend almost $6000.00 on it, for him, he feels that is worth it . . .

so, haggle the price a little to at least have the service cost "covered" . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
amantaban

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »

Thanks for that but of perspective. Might as well buy a new one.

The last service on this one was done March 2012 and this is what was done...

Basic oil change
Change brake/clutch hydraulic fluids
Inspection
Test battery
Rear brake light buffer

Realistically, what am I going to need to get done/how much will it cost to get this good and ready? It's just under 6K and I'm not sure if the belts were even changed yet. I'm still trying to find out.
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »

Thanks for that but of perspective. Might as well buy a new one.

The last service on this one was done March 2012 and this is what was done...

Basic oil change
Change brake/clutch hydraulic fluids
Inspection
Test battery
Rear brake light buffer

Realistically, what am I going to need to get done/how much will it cost to get this good and ready? It's just under 6K and I'm not sure if the belts were even changed yet. I'm still trying to find out.

Well, no dealer where I am, he got it from someone who didn't use it as often, 2002 and it has only 6000kms . .  about 600kms/year; I do at least 2000km/yr . . . He wanted one and the S4R he tested, gave him the 'no no', too much power.

Well, the 6K service is a very important service, valves are checked and adjusted, again, no matter how much the bike has run since March 2012, oil should be changed. Also other things are done, here is the link to the bike's users manual, just select the year, model of bike

I have a M620, and it's 7 yrs old and I have replaced my belts 3 times already, checked my valves at least 2 times, somehow, they have managed to stay within spec, I replace my hydraulic fluids, once a year due to my location, I change oil at least twice a year . . . I enjoy my bike a lot

The tank issue, as someone mentioned, if it expands, either get a new one and coat it or search for a metal one and convert to use with your bike. I am doing this

You are thinking this way too much, IMHO, if you like the bike, take the plunge; if you don't feel "OK" with it, walk away.

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
justinrhenry
Super

weeeeee!!!

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »

Price seems a bit high.  For comparison I paid $3900 for a '03 4 years ago.  it had about 6k miles on it at the time.  not to mention he's sticking you with the 6k service, which as others have said isn't cheap.

_____
2013 Honda CB1100D
2006 Honda ST1300
2003 Ducati Monster 620ie
amantaban

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 07:14:53 PM »

Well, no dealer where I am, he got it from someone who didn't use it as often, 2002 and it has only 6000kms . .  about 600kms/year; I do at least 2000km/yr . . . He wanted one and the S4R he tested, gave him the 'no no', too much power.

Well, the 6K service is a very important service, valves are checked and adjusted, again, no matter how much the bike has run since March 2012, oil should be changed. Also other things are done, here is the link to the bike's users manual, just select the year, model of bike

I have a M620, and it's 7 yrs old and I have replaced my belts 3 times already, checked my valves at least 2 times, somehow, they have managed to stay within spec, I replace my hydraulic fluids, once a year due to my location, I change oil at least twice a year . . . I enjoy my bike a lot

The tank issue, as someone mentioned, if it expands, either get a new one and coat it or search for a metal one and convert to use with your bike. I am doing this

You are thinking this way too much, IMHO, if you like the bike, take the plunge; if you don't feel "OK" with it, walk away.

Your last paragraph...

It makes sense. Also, that link is sweet.

Is the tank swelling ever going to harm anything?

I read that if you drain all the fuel, and let it sit inside in a temp controlled environment, it will return to its normal size. Can anyone confirm this?
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 07:52:19 PM »

The tank can swell enough to interfere with the latch and even reduce steering lock.
Integrity can be compromised.
Leakage, though rare, can happen.

Ducati is not alone with this problem.

There are fixes. 

There are several threads about this on the board.  Read up, starting here  http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=43639.0
amantaban

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 08:26:10 AM »

Thanks everybody!
gtmiller1001

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »

So I just picked up something similar, 05 S2R with only 2,400 miles on it.

It's 8 yrs old but low mileage.  Dealer I bought it from did all fluids and "said" they went through it well (they're reputable).

Should I be concerned about the belts due to the age?  Even if it's such low mileage and been kept indoors?
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »

Ask the dealer for any service record. In theory, the belts should be replaced every few years or 6K miles (if I'm not mistaken). On an 05, they should have replaced the belts at least once, if not twice.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
amantaban

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »

I found something else out that I need an opinion on. From what the seller is telling me, the service that was done last summer (oil change, fluids) was the only service the bike ever had other than the 500 mile check up. So belts have never been changed, valves have never been adjusted and it had the same oil for more than 5 years.

Should I avoid this entirely?
The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 04:56:02 AM »

Make sure he's got both keys.. black and red. I paid $4500 for a 2005 620 Dark in great condition with 4000 miles on it in 2010 so yes additional years should lower the price. If you're buying a Ducati especially this vintage the service costs are something you're either going to pay every 6K miles or do at least some of them yourself if you're handy enough (pick up a Haynes Manual). I'd try to negotiate him down at least the cost of the 6K service. Besides that it's a hell of a fun and easy bike to ride. (Not sure if that year came with the APTC "slipper" clutch). Also a great bike to mod to your hearts content. If its all in good order I'd say $3500

2005 S2R 800 Analog Motorcycles Custom Build
2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
2005 Monster 620 Dark - Sold
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 01:04:35 PM »

Valves are adjusted during the 6k service. I would talk him down the cost of the service and simply take the bike in early. Has anyone asked if you've seen it running?

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 03:38:22 PM »

<snip>

I agree with this...but...

Be aware the bike needs a major service...belts and valve adjust.

It also needs new tires.

You need to add ~$1200 to the cost.

How do you feel about that bike now?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

amantaban

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »

Valves are adjusted during the 6k service. I would talk him down the cost of the service and simply take the bike in early. Has anyone asked if you've seen it running?

Oh yes. It started up from cold easily and idled beautifully. I test rode it and it shifted beautifully. The seller did say that when its cold, you have to give it a minute to idle after it starts before you take off or it acts a little funny.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: