Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 22, 2024, 11:21:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McCall Idaho  (Read 6004 times)
MendoDave
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:12:19 PM »

I've been pretty busy the last two years trying to grow Wuta Joy Candy, especially during the summers. This year however I carved out some time to go on a motorcycle trip for a week and a half. So I started making some preparation to the neglected 750. It got new coils and fresh vacuum plugs, new belts, new plugs, new grips, I installed the spacers in the suspension to raise the ride height, but the foot peg lowering kit didn't come in time for the trip. It also got a wash for the first time in years. I had wanted to address some other issues before the trip, but ready or not the time came and what was done would have to be good enough.

My dad showed up at my house Wednesday night towing two motorcycles behind a pickup. We got his and his friends bike unloaded, his two dogs unloaded, and the 7 or 8 pictures unloaded that my wife bought the last time we were visiting my dad, but couldn't fit in the car.

The next morning we headed off from Klamath Falls Oregon in the cooler than usual 45 degree weather heading east into the "out there" with the sun in our eyes. Eastern Oregon has a whole lot of not very much "out there". It's definitely what I would call the open road. The decent sized towns are about 100 miles apart, so we got gas at each town we came to. Our route took us to Lakeview, then north and then east past lots of BLM land and a alkali lake, and some big horned sheep until we got to Burns about 260 miles later.

Lunch was had, and then we fed the bikes. One thing about Oregon is that the roads are pretty good for the most part. The downside is they are all posted at 55. We rode most of the way at 65-75 but the higher speeds are hard on Ted's KLR 650. The Monster of course is loafing along at 65 and my Dad's old K100 has no trouble going as fast as needed.

Eventually we made it over to Idaho and got on the interstate for a short while before getting off to make our way over to highway 56 and McCall. This was about the time it started raining.
It was a good thing I had just cleaned my visor again with the foaming glass cleaner and the cloth I brought along for that purpose because it made the rain bead off. And that was fine because the rain kept coming down harder and harder and soon I was soaked. My feet were sloshing in the boots.

As we started heading up highway 56 the rain let up and finally stopped, but it had caused numerous rock and mud slides some worse than others. We had put in nearly 500 miles with about 40 miles to go when we came upon a gaggle of cars and trucks at a turnout. It seems that just a few miles up the road there was a large mudslide that had covered the road completely for about 300 feet. It was then that I noticed how the river that had previously been crystal clear just a few miles back, was now a raging torrent of mud that seemed to be getting higher. It didn't look like it was going to top the road and flood the canyon we were in but I kept my eye on it for a while.

It was 7:30 at night and the prospect of back tracking 50 miles and then going another 95 miles up the road another way just wasn't very appealing. So we decided to head back to Boise and spring for a hotel, and after some more adventure that I don't feel like writing about now, by 11:30 I was in a warm dry bed and turning out the lights.

The next morning was bright and sunny after the hotel breakfast, Ted and I donned our mostly dry riding gear and headed up the interstate for US 95. My Dad had gotten separated from us last night in Boise and I hoped we could meet up with him at the resort. After another 150 miles some of it very scenic I finally arrived at the condo. Ted and I agreed to split up halfway there, because he just wanted to ride slower on the KLR.

Much to my relief my Dad had arrived already, so we talked about our misadventures of the night before. Tomorrow we plan to do some exploring here and there, maybe visit some hot springs and see the lake.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 05:36:08 AM by Mendo Dave » Logged
Husker4life

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 01:15:23 AM »

My dad is there right now....... Sounds like an awesome ride outside of the rain. I grew up in vancouver, and can't wait to move back to the northwest where the beer is good!
MendoDave
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 04:42:33 PM »

Today we rode down to a hot spring not very far from here. It was 4 miles from the end of pavement but it was real nice once we got there. The water only smelled very mildly of sulphur.
There were descending pools each one a little cooler than the last. There was also a giant Chess set. I played two games, wine one and lost the other.

We stayed for several hours and then went to eat pizza.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 04:46:34 PM by Mendo Dave » Logged
MidnightRambler

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:34:39 AM »

Those pools look like the perfect thing after a long bike ride
joshuajcrouch

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:51:43 AM »

Where in Oregon are you from?  I live in Eugene.

Keep posting pics and ride safe.
MendoDave
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »

Well I moved to Klamath Falls about 3 years ago.

I went puttering around town today and took some pictures at the airport.
This one is an Air Tractor Tanker. I think it lands on a lake and scoops up water.

It has the PT6A-67AG which makes about 1,700 shaft HP
I just kind of like airplanes and airports so it was nice checking it out. Then I went by a bunch of golf courses and a marina, but didnt take any photos of that stuff.

Plane coming in for landing on "one six"

I did take a picture of this river though. I bet there are good fish in there.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:32:12 PM by Mendo Dave » Logged
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »

This ride took me back to my SS1000, I rode my K1200RS on a lap of Oregon in 15 hours. The section across the bottom of the state was quite a trip, so to speak. I hit an indicated 140 at one point!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »

Thanks for posting!

I grew up in Portland.  Spent some time elsewhere, *really* missed home, moved back.  Now I'm out in south/central WA, on the east end of the Columbia River Gorge.

I keep mapping out different routes through central/eastern Oregon and Washington.  One of these days, I hope to take some vacation time and go for a ride.

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
MendoDave
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 02:53:05 PM »

I plan on heading over to the gorge on Wednesday.
MendoDave
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »

Yesterday we visited another hot spring. This one was down in a creek and the hot water just came out of the rock. People have packed concrete down there to secure the rocks together in order to make deeper pools. They also made cool water channels by various means including using 4 nice Dia PVC pipe with caps that can be removed. So with just a little bit of work yo can adjust the temperature to your liking.

I didn't take any pictures of this because I was too lazy to go back up to the bike and get the camera. But I did take two pictures of a gorge cut into the rock below a small dam.

One is good enough...

Now today I gave Jeff a visit at Monster Parts I had PM'd him to let him know I was coming down, but as it turned out I had actually PM'd Tammie aka:DucDucGoose.

I got a free Monster Parts Coozie and kickstand pad just for showing my face around there, and I was able to buy some Frame plugs for the tail chop without paying shipping too.

Jeff has all kinds of cool stuff in there. It's kind of like a candy store but you can't eat any of it.

Some cool stuff in the case. The 999R and the Yellow bike belong to the guy that owns the building.

Most of the really cool bling parts are hanging from these racks. I want to get some of those racks to hang our candy from.

Jeff with his bike.

Tammie with her really nice S2R1000. Rumor has it she also owns an RD350  drool

These pictures just don't do her bike justice.

I guess she's planning on getting her brakes anodized pink to match the rear spring.

So now I'm going to head back up to McCall and see if I can find something else cool, like maybe at the brewery drink
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:29:57 PM by Mendo Dave » Logged
JEFF_H

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 01:21:56 PM »

Important note- that was my sexy pose just for ducpainter.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:59:24 PM »

Important note- that was my sexy pose just for ducpainter.

...and Tammi is still waaaaaay better looking than you.  Kiss

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DucDucGoos

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 03:08:46 PM »

...and Tammi is still waaaaaay better looking than you.  Kiss
And fit in my ducati Seattle shirts better... Lol

Btw glad you had a nice trip. Always nice meeting customers!! Those hot springs look very nice too!! Maybe one of these weekends Smiley
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:10:24 PM by DucDucGoos » Logged
MendoDave
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »

It was nice to Stop in and meet other DMF folks too. Hope I spelled your name right.

On the way back I got this picture of the rapids.

Then I got this picture of Nachos & Beer in front of me at the McCall Brewery.

memper

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »

Nice looking trip Dave.

"Calling a bikini fairing on a monster a fairing is like calliing a girl in an actual bikini proper work attire....unless shes a stripper." -He Man

-----------------------------------------
Important: always check your battery filter and regularly change your headlight fluid.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: