Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 12, 2024, 09:20:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: valve shims for 2v  (Read 5287 times)
chopper

« on: July 07, 2008, 11:00:53 AM »

I need some shims, is there a valve shim co-op or anything out there so I don't have to buy the whole kit??

I live on an island and the dealer is on another island and they don't keep shims in stock.  They want $25 per shim and the parts are not returnable.

This is what I need:

opening:  3.6, 3.45

closing:  6.6,  6.85,  6.65,  6.4

HELP!!

'73 FLH
Hedgehog

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:13:59 AM »

I need some shims, is there a valve shim co-op or anything out there so I don't have to buy the whole kit??

You can buy individual shims from emsduc.com.  I just bought a couple from them.  They're inexpensive, but like all shims, they vary from the targeted size by up to .002" and this can leave you, like me, where "the next size up" is actually the same F!#@$!@# size as the one you want to replace.  Fortunately, I bought the ones I wanted and the next size above that, so that I could sand the larger one down to fit.  From memory, the emsduc shims don't seem as hard as the Ducati shims.

For sanding, use 400 grit wet-or-dry paper wetted with engine oil and laying on a flat surface.  Make a few figure eights, turn shim 90 degrees in your fingers, repeat.  When it's nearly the size you want, switch to 1000 or 1200 grit wet-or-dry wetted with engine oil to polish the last .0005" out.  They cut quicker than you'd think on this grade paper.
chopper

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:34:23 AM »

I just looked on the emsduc site.  all the shims i need are larger than i have.  i will order one more size up than i need and i can sand em down if i need to.

thanks!

'73 FLH
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 12:21:55 PM »

From memory, the emsduc shims don't seem as hard as the Ducati shims.

Is that bad?

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Hedgehog

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »

Is that bad?

Probably not.  It seems like they should have been harder to cut, but it's likely that they're just hard enough.  The reason I say this is that we just don't see posts with people complaining that their emsduc shims are wearing out quickly.  So, lacking any negative evidence, I assume they're just fine.
chopper

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 12:41:41 PM »

I'm new to desmos, but it seems that the shims would wear slower than a conventional valve train because the system is not working against a closing spring.

'73 FLH
Hedgehog

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »

I'm new to desmos, but it seems that the shims would wear slower than a conventional valve train because the system is not working against a closing spring.

Just be sure you are able to twist the closer shim with the valve closed.  Keepers tend to break (or worse) if you have them too tight.
ducatimike

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 06:26:10 PM »

EMS shims are actually harder than Ducati OEM shims.  OEM closer shims deform where half rings sit.  EMS closer shims do not deform.  EMS shims are made of A2 tool steel and hardened to Rc 58 to 62.  Early ducati shims I tested were in the Range of Rc 48 to 50.

Mike
Hedgehog

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »

EMS shims are actually harder than Ducati OEM shims.  OEM closer shims deform where half rings sit.  EMS closer shims do not deform.  EMS shims are made of A2 tool steel and hardened to Rc 58 to 62.  Early ducati shims I tested were in the Range of Rc 48 to 50.

I can't argue with your gauge, Mike, other than to say the shim I ground cut much faster than I remember the Ducati shims cutting.  I went though .002" so quick I almost overshot.  It's hard to believe that was tool steel, but, OK.

Added:
Hmm, I suppose it's possible I could have been using 600 grit paper the last time.  That might account for it.  It's been a long time.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 06:34:37 PM by Hedgehog » Logged
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 09:33:25 PM »

EMS shims are actually harder than Ducati OEM shims.

Thanks for that point of clarification.  waytogo

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Desmo Demon

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 04:33:03 AM »

Mike

Nice to see you over here, Mike.   waytogo

I have not had any problems with any shims from EMS. I have the kit for the 2V and 4V and have bought a few replacements over the years. The closing shim measurement tool is easy to use and makes it a breeze to determine the sizes of the shims. Compared to what the dealers charge for a valve adjustment and the convenience of not having to go back and forth to the dealer, I always recommend buying a complete kit. It'll pay for itself in 1-2 valve adjustments.

I've used these kits for an adjustment on the Paso's Pantah engine, my ST2 two or three times, my 748 twice, and each of a buddy's two 998 bikes......not only are the shims and kits handy, but Mike is more than happy to assist you with any questions that you may have. I know he answered a bunch of questions I had when I did my first valve adjustment.

Places I've been on two wheels:

IBA #32735
ducatimike

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 12:41:17 PM »

I have had a very difficult time cutting my shims on a lathe.  Even using carbide tools, they would wear out really fast.  I have always ground them  or lapped them to take off material.   Hedge Hog, are u sure you cut EMS shims and it wasnt the OEM ones?  Once tool steel is hardened it normally cannot be machined again unless it is annealed first.

Mike
Hedgehog

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 12:58:59 PM »

I have had a very difficult time cutting my shims on a lathe.  Even using carbide tools, they would wear out really fast.  I have always ground them  or lapped them to take off material.   Hedge Hog, are u sure you cut EMS shims and it wasnt the OEM ones?  Once tool steel is hardened it normally cannot be machined again unless it is annealed first.

Mike

I am 100% certain that it was the EMS shim that I ground .002" using 400 grit wet-or-dry paper wetted with Castrol GTX 20W-50.
Hedgehog

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 01:29:36 PM »

Mike

Mike, I've just looked at your profile and found out which Mike you are.  I've emailed
you at your aol address from my order.
chopper

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 09:46:18 AM »

Hey, thanks for the help guys,  my first Ducati valve adjustment was a success!  I have to say it was tricky at first, but I got it dialed in perfectly with Mike's shims and a little sanding.

'73 FLH
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: