Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 11:20:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying my first Ducati  (Read 5869 times)
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 07:28:14 AM »

+1 On gearing
+1 On Ohlins 737 rear shock.

Did them both and the shock was night and day.  Personally I preferred the more expensive 530 15/43 option but he 14 tooth more than works and makes the bike oh so much more ridable.

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Convert123

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 07:46:21 AM »

I'm still debating on switching to the 14t because I do do a lot of highway riding. I am looking the higher gearing except around town lol... I speed to much like this haha Police
Curmudgeon

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »

I'm still debating on switching to the 14t because I do do a lot of highway riding. I am looking the higher gearing except around town lol... I speed to much like this haha Police
It's good to see Skybarney jumping in here as he has an 1100 EVO. Both the 796 and EVO have the same chassis and 15/39 final drive and the same transmission ratios. 1100 EVOs have a LOT more BHP and torque already too. The factory gearing is just a super overdrive to get past Euro 3 and drive-by noise testing. 14/39 just makes the bike a lot more responsive. Given the winter here, I haven't been on the 796 since late November, but if memory serves, 75 MPH in 6th is still only ~ 4,000 RPM MPH indicated. For the facist state of CA, that should be plenty of gearing/speed left to redline.  Cool 75 is also more like a true 70 MPH as that's the way the ECU feeds speed from the ABS sensors to your display. From the manual:

"“Speed” indicator

This function shows vehicle speed.

The dashboard receives the actual speed value (expressed in km/h) from the ECU and displays the value increased by 8%.
Maximum speed displayed is 299 km/h (186 mph). Over 299 km/h (186 mph) the display will show a series of dashes “- - -“ (not flashing)."

BTW, the 796 Monster and Hyper require a specific 14T due to spacing. It is NOT universal. Monsterparts, a forum sponsor carries them. Otherwise, the part number from Driven Racing is 1067-525-14T. http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/52604d15/Chain-Sprocket/52604d15.html

FWIW, IMO a 696 sorely needs a 14T too, but that bike has rather different gearing and power output already than either a 796 or 1100S or EVO.

If memory serves, this was also Skybarney's first Ducati and the suspension really bugged him on his until he fitted the cheap Ohlins. Ohlins in NC will build it specifically for your weight and riding style. My dealer who is a highly regarded Ohlins racing tech still had to set the sag, but after taking the bike for a ride found that it was perfect with the stock forks after backing off the damping one click. That shock has only one adjuster, but works on both the rebound and compression. Ohlins makes a three-way fully adjustable shock for these bikes which costs X3.  Roll Eyes I'm sure it's better..., but not X3 better!!! Grin Skybarney should link the thread where he fitted his and had his forks set up properly (his are adjustable unlike ours). His selling dealer had his set up all wrong.

Keep us posted and see what you think after you've ridden it a bit in the dry. Also check your tire pressures carefully with an accurate guage. That's 2.25/2.5 BAR which is ~ 32.5/36.5.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
Convert123

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 05:29:49 PM »

I've ridden a bit in the dryish weather now and it's not to bad. The power is  great. I find myself having to slow down long before I hit the end of the on ramp and the small bikini fairing is doing it's job. Next week I'm going to take it on a two hour trip down to San Luis obisbo.  I will let you know what I think after that though. I don't know how to post pictures but I only have one thus far.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: