Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 07:24:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL: Closed Loop ECU mods  (Read 327120 times)
Smokescreen

« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2008, 09:53:06 AM »

UPDATE: put my fat duc manipulator on this morning before commute.  Immediately noted smoother idle, no stalling on idle.  Much smoother power on from 3-4K and now capable of riding below 4K though obviously not "on" power.

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
flsurfdog

« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »

Well, to make an already long story shorter, in the end I disconnected the stepper motor completely. I pulled the electrical connection and sealed the connectors with rubber caps, I had lying around in my garage. Then I pulled the two rubber hoses leading from the stepper motor to the throttle bodies. I left the hoses on the TB�s and sealed each of them with a bolt and a clamp (to avoid false air from getting into the system).
I then adjusted the idle the �old way� on the two air valves on the TB�s using a vacuum gauge.
Did it help then? Yes, it did. I was a little concerned if the engine would start when cold. It does. For the first minute or so, it only just idles, but then revs freely. On the road it runs smoother and seems to be livelier, throttle response and pick up is way better, and acceleration is better and stronger. Vibrations are down and all things equal, the engine seems more harmonious.
As a result, on my favorite twisty back roads, I don�t need to shift up and down in gears as much as I used to � most of the time fourth gear will do the job (the gearing on the bike is standard).
The lowest temperatures, I�ve ridden the bike in, was 10 degrees C (50 degrees F). Under these conditions the bike started and ran fine.
I had a little concern whether the fuelling would be too lean, but it doesn�t seem to be the case, and since what the stepper does is to ad air to the TB�s, I don�t think that will be an issue. Anyway I�m planning to have the bike on the dyno early next year just to make sure.
I have only ridden the bike for a few hundred kilometers after the change, but it seems to be consistent.

Ride safe,
Martin

Uhhh... This is exactly what DucShop did on my 06 s2r1k about a year and a half ago. Although you do explain the process much more clearly than i could (don't know much about all this) but i also had the same results.  It was a little crummy when really cold out, but once warmed up it was perfect.  I'd reccomend it to anyone.  (unless of course you commute only like 2 miles to and from work a day)

Mike

06 s2r1000, Apex Clip-ons, Lowered headlight and gauges, HID high/low, Wasen Design front signals, reflectors removed, Mag Performance clutch cover, Rizoma star pressure plate, open airbox, Spark midpipe, Leo Ti slip-on, tail chop and frame plug blinkers
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2008, 09:33:37 AM »

Factory links added to the 1st post for ease of research.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2008, 09:34:19 PM »

Uhhh... This is exactly what DucShop did on my 06 s2r1k about a year and a half ago. Although you do explain the process much more clearly than i could (don't know much about all this) but i also had the same results.  It was a little crummy when really cold out, but once warmed up it was perfect.  I'd reccomend it to anyone.  (unless of course you commute only like 2 miles to and from work a day)

Mike

Can Monstermash or NAKID comment on their experience with their PCIII and S2R1k? Now it seems like i cant use a PCIII at all since i ride my bike all the way down to the 20's (yes Fahrenheit!)

Sad

This guy has a Rapid bike 3 on the for sale ad though!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
flsurfdog

« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »

Can Monstermash or NAKID comment on their experience with their PCIII and S2R1k? Now it seems like i cant use a PCIII at all since i ride my bike all the way down to the 20's (yes Fahrenheit!)

Sad

This guy has a Rapid bike 3 on the for sale ad though!

I don't have a rapid bike on sale if you're talking about me.  I was selling my PCIII off of my crashed s2r1k because i was thinking about going with a rapid bike unit on my "new" 06 s2r1k, mostly because cold idling was a problem since i was making short trips to work every day when it was 30F in the mornings.  I talked about this on TOB and a couple threads here too.

06 s2r1000, Apex Clip-ons, Lowered headlight and gauges, HID high/low, Wasen Design front signals, reflectors removed, Mag Performance clutch cover, Rizoma star pressure plate, open airbox, Spark midpipe, Leo Ti slip-on, tail chop and frame plug blinkers
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2008, 08:39:10 AM »

I don't have a rapid bike on sale if you're talking about me.  I was selling my PCIII off of my crashed s2r1k because i was thinking about going with a rapid bike unit on my "new" 06 s2r1k, mostly because cold idling was a problem since i was making short trips to work every day when it was 30F in the mornings.  I talked about this on TOB and a couple threads here too.

not you, i ment someone below in the parts for sale section. I just called up rapidbikeus and they said if i have any issues with it i can contact them.

looks like its RB3 for me!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
woodyracing

« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2008, 04:32:37 PM »

so has anyone actually used a PCIII on a 695 w/ DP ECU and O2 eliminator?  I've got free access to a dyno for the next 6 months and a PCIII would help a LOT if it works.  Which PCIII would you use, obviously they don't list anything for a 695?

CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2008, 05:31:11 AM »

so has anyone actually used a PCIII on a 695 w/ DP ECU and O2 eliminator?  I've got free access to a dyno for the next 6 months and a PCIII would help a LOT if it works.  Which PCIII would you use, obviously they don't list anything for a 695?

If you have a DP ECU, you don't need an O2 eliminator.  The DP ECU already does that.  You should be able to use any of the reasonable close PCIII since you are custom mapping it.  All it does is sit in between your DP ECU and the various wires.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2008, 09:00:03 AM »

What he said. you can use any 2v PCIII module.

CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2008, 09:37:14 AM »

Hey DMF'ers!  I've posted an interesting idea for potential free HP here.  Love to get some collective wisdom:
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=12876.0
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »

Evil got a RB3 unit!!!!!!!!!

Will post up details. very excited. Any tips from other RB3 owners? maps?  Smiley

skxf430

« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »

UPDATE: put my fat duc manipulator on this morning before commute.  Immediately noted smoother idle, no stalling on idle.  Much smoother power on from 3-4K and now capable of riding below 4K though obviously not "on" power.

I just installed the Fat Duc on a 2007 S4R with full Arrows and it does seem to work.  My bike used to hiccup between 2500 - 4000rpms but it seems to have smoothed it out and the bike can be cruised in that range without having to downshift.  For $80 it is worth a try and it really seems to be working at this point.    waytogo
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2008, 06:18:43 AM »

Evil got a RB3 unit!!!!!!!!!

Will post up details. very excited. Any tips from other RB3 owners? maps?  Smiley

Did you get the RB3 and O2 emulator?  Is it a 2008 emulator? How did you get comfortable with all the back and forth?  Keep us posted!
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2008, 01:19:09 PM »

I got the whole RB3 kit. No idea what year O2 emulator i got (how do i check?). But from the jist of it, it doenst matter on the older 06 bikes, only the 07+ bikes. I have a 2006 S2R1000  Mods: open airbox, cored exahaust.

I actually contact mr foster at Rapidbike USA, he said he would help out where he can with tech support. So i felt good. The seller said Foster is a great guy to work with and had some really good stuff about him. So it gave me some hope in the RB unit.

The unit is actually very well built, but it took over 4 hours to isntall because Goldcoast motorsports, the shop that worked on my bike decided the would put the springs that hold the injector sensors in place backwards. Then I was looking for wires that werent where they said they were. the translation from italian to english is very poor. You could do the install in less than 1 hour though.

Anyway, i hooked it up, and loaded base map for the S2R1000. The software comes with a few hundred maps for various bikes.

How does it work?
Well ive only tried one map so far. which is designed for a bone stock S2R1000. I thought there was gonna be a HUGE difference....well... i cant tel you what huge is.

Low end is MUCH MUCH smoother. No more jerkyness and crusing is much more pleasent. There is a dip around 4500rpm thats as bad as hitting the rev limiter. I havent been able to really try the bike because of this reason. I am gonna go home and try a different map. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

The seller gave me some other maps, but i acnt get them to load. Sad Cdawg, your in NYC arent you? Do you know STeve & Jay at ECS? They tune RB3s and ahve nothing but good words for them (last i heard back in June)

CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2008, 02:24:06 PM »

No idea what year O2 emulator i got (how do i check?).
The 2008 version has a dial on the O2 mudulator that allows you to vary the signal output to the ECU.  Some of the 2007 emulators got burnt out by the stock ECU.  Apparently the stock ECU will periodically ping the 2007 emulator since it only returned a static signal causing the emulator to get fried.  The 2008 version is suppose to have solved this problem, but no one seems to be willing to confirm or deny

Cdawg, your in NYC arent you? Do you know STeve & Jay at ECS? They tune RB3s and ahve nothing but good words for them (last i heard back in June)

Yup!  I'll give ECS a call.  Rockwell has also done one on a S4R and developed a very good map.  I believe it is for RobS4R.  you could PM him for a map.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: