Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 13, 2024, 09:17:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple Cables Short (LED Tail Light)  (Read 2736 times)
CF_Beast

« on: July 08, 2008, 12:53:30 PM »

I ordered a smoked LED Tail Light, which alledgedly integrated indicator lights. I took my S4R to the local dealer for installation. They called me the next day to tell me I could swing by and take a look at the job. No need to say how disappointed/surprised I was to find my stock turn signals sitting right next to my new LED tail light (we'd also done a tail chop).

The smoked LED just looked amazing, beautiful. However, it only has 3 cables sticking out of the box. I know zilch about wiring, but their head mechanic tells me the tail light has no turn signals. The running light and brake light work perfectly. I ordered it off of www.ducatisaarland.de (they've got Google's translator tool) and they only have integrated tail lights which makes this really strange. I'm still hoping this guy just doesn't get how to plug it in right. I already wrote the shop about it, but they sometimes delay to reply. Can anybody shed some light here?

I had also asked them to install my new Zard full exhaust system. You can imagine this experience defined bitter-sweet...  Undecided
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:45:49 AM by CF_Beast » Logged

2005 S4R, Rizoma Lux Grips/Bar Caps, ASV Shorty Levers, DP LED Mirrors, CF Headlight Brackets, Rizoma Clutch Cover/Pressure Plate, Stebel Nautilus horn (139db!), Rizoma Sprocket Cover, EK Chain (Red), Shift-Tech CF Chain Guards/Rear hugger, CW Tail Chop, LED Brake Light, Watsen Design tail signals, Zard Full Exhaust. My wife was OK with the bike until I started spending money on Her, not her... Now I just call her Francesca and say she's my Italian mistress.
SKOM

Upside Down Canuck

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:03:24 PM »

Sounds like he only wired your bake light wires to the unit. It's likely he just didn't wire in the signals to the integrated board.
I installed and integrated board on my moto and IIRC there were only 3 (maybe four?) wires.

I'm sure someone here will be a little more helpful than I.  Undecided

"Die gefährlichste Weltanschauung ist die Weltanschauung derer, die die Welt nie angeschaut haben."
— Alexander Von Humboldt
CF_Beast

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 06:07:24 PM »

I picked up my bike late this afternoon. I noticed that it seems like some of the LEDs aren't lighting up. As if those were indicators. I peeked underneath threw the license plate light (underneath) and it looks like when the brake light comes on the lit ones shine brighter, but those stay off. However, it's tricky since the others make it hard to say which are lit and which aren't... that is, they all LOOK lit.

2005 S4R, Rizoma Lux Grips/Bar Caps, ASV Shorty Levers, DP LED Mirrors, CF Headlight Brackets, Rizoma Clutch Cover/Pressure Plate, Stebel Nautilus horn (139db!), Rizoma Sprocket Cover, EK Chain (Red), Shift-Tech CF Chain Guards/Rear hugger, CW Tail Chop, LED Brake Light, Watsen Design tail signals, Zard Full Exhaust. My wife was OK with the bike until I started spending money on Her, not her... Now I just call her Francesca and say she's my Italian mistress.
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 06:14:01 PM »

A tail light with integrated turn signals will have at least 5 wires.

Running light
Brake light
Left Signal
Right Signal
Ground
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 06:23:08 PM by A.duc.H.duc. » Logged

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
CF_Beast

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 06:52:18 PM »

Now that makes me wanna drive my Monster right off a cliff!!! Can you imagine I spent about 240 Euros on integrated LED mirrors and tail light. With the mirrors, they pictured the Ducati Performance ones (now I know) and shipped me cheap (not so cheap, rather) knockoffs. I can't believe I got screwed with the tail light too. bang head I was about to order the genuine DP mirrors, but now I might have to get turn signals for the back so the front would look odd without a pair.

I sure hope somebody knows how to get turn signals outta 3 cables...

SKOM

Upside Down Canuck

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 07:13:51 AM »

Did you talk to the tech yet? Maybe there were 5 but be cut a couple. I could have sworn mine didn't have that many. But I have been wrong in the past. I'll go out and check at lunch.

"Die gefährlichste Weltanschauung ist die Weltanschauung derer, die die Welt nie angeschaut haben."
— Alexander Von Humboldt
CF_Beast

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 08:17:39 AM »

I'd appreciate that. Nothing's been cut.

El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 08:51:06 AM »

It looks like you bought the Clear Alternatives Brake light yes?

Mine also only brought 3 wires. One that you plug into the socket where the old bulb goes into, and two small yellow ones.

You are to connect the negative terminals of the blinkers to these, and just tape up the positive ones.

I was a little put off by this situation as well, but it worked out perfectly.

Pm me if you want pics and more info.

CF_Beast

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »

With these things, is it safe for the light/rider to just plug/unplug until it works kinda like the DVD player? Is there any risk to toast the LEDs or myself?

El Matador

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:35:35 AM »

That's the way I did it... I've had mine on for 10 k miles and going strong...

SKOM

Upside Down Canuck

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 11:42:23 AM »

That's the way I did it... I've had mine on for 10 k miles and going strong...

+1 me too.

3 wires - trial and error.  waytogo

— Alexander Von Humboldt
CF_Beast

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »

Was the switch on during the plugging/unplugging?

SKOM

Upside Down Canuck

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 12:55:30 PM »

I don't think so. I would plug then try.

— Alexander Von Humboldt
CF_Beast

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 02:08:41 PM »

Is there a way to tell positive from negative end on the stock signal cables?

El Matador

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 02:10:42 PM »

Is there a way to tell positive from negative end on the stock signal cables?

Negative = dark

Positive = light

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: