Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 13, 2024, 07:13:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Socket Set  (Read 3098 times)
arai_speed
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:01:46 PM »

So I went to Sears to see if they had the right socket size for my Monster and surely they did not.  I then stopped by Harbor Freight and pickup the following:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5494

It was on sale for $39.95

It includes all the sockets I need to remove the wheels + a few others I needed for my R1.

I thought I pass this along.
SKOM

Upside Down Canuck

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:05:02 PM »

Shocked

I hate you. j/k.

I think I paid close to that for my 48mm socket alone.  bang head

"Die gefährlichste Weltanschauung ist die Weltanschauung derer, die die Welt nie angeschaut haben."
— Alexander Von Humboldt
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »

So I went to Sears to see if they had the right socket size for my Monster and surely they did not.  I then stopped by Harbor Freight and pickup the following:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5494

It was on sale for $39.95

It includes all the sockets I need to remove the wheels + a few others I needed for my R1.

I thought I pass this along.

Home Depot Husky Metric Set $29.99 MUCH higher quality. Ive used ratchet to break things multiple times and it works flawlessly. if your looking for specific sizes though, id just buy them invidually, those cheeap sockets tend to round bolts.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
rockaduc

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 02:06:06 PM »

BEWARE those 12 point sockets...as previously stated, they round things!!!!!!!

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
arai_speed
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »

Humm....well that sucks.

So from the following:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00997207000P

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915940000P?mv=rr

Which one should I use?
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »

No experience with SK, but Craftsmen makes good stuff for a good price. Never had a problem with their tools. Since Craftsman has a life time warranty, id just pick up a used on on CL or ebay it ( I picked up a 8 piece Craftsmen wrench set for 20 bucks)

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
rockaduc

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 01:35:23 PM »

All of the sockets I use regularly are 6 point Craftsman.  When possible I use the impact socket (even when I am not using the compressor) b/c they tend to slip less imo.  The cost of membership can seem steep, but better than rounding a fastener.  And as previously stated, they have a lifetime warranty.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
arai_speed
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 02:44:52 PM »

When I got home last night I took a look at my other sockets that I have, they are craftman and the big ones (36mm and 32mm) are both 12pt.

I used those on my R1 for almost 8 years, doing tire changes for the track and changing out the sprockets here and there and I never had any rounding problems.

So is the consensus that ALL 12 pt sockets round bolts? Or that only cheap 12pt sockets round bolts? Or (this is the last or I promise) is it that Ducs have shitty bolts that round easily?
SP3

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 04:00:12 PM »

So is the consensus that ALL 12 pt sockets round bolts? Or that only cheap 12pt sockets round bolts? Or (this is the last or I promise) is it that Ducs have shitty bolts that round easily?

Cheap tools do bad things often.

1991 851 SP3
1966 250 Monza
1999 Monster 900 City
brimo

酒後吐真言

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 04:46:39 PM »

Cheap tools do bad things often.

Yes, quality tools are made to tighter tolerances.
The dies used for casting things do wear, so as the castings get used the tolerances go out the window and the cheaper brands will replace their dies less often.
Generally cheaper tools will use softer metals as well, causing more dramas with you and your fasteners.

"The make the beast with two backsin monkey started it..."

From a story by RAT900
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=54722.msg1015917#msg1015917
aaronb

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 05:28:31 PM »

bah... i have the harbor freight set and it works fine for the few times a year i use it.  if i had fancy smancy aluminum or Ti wheel nuts or something i wouldn't use it but i don't and have had no problems. 

inventory the set though, when i got mine i was missing one size and had two of another.  HF gladly exchanged it for me. 

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
arai_speed
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 08:18:37 PM »

bah... i have the harbor freight set and it works fine for the few times a year i use it.  if i had fancy smancy aluminum or Ti wheel nuts or something i wouldn't use it but i don't and have had no problems. 

inventory the set though, when i got mine i was missing one size and had two of another.  HF gladly exchanged it for me. 

chug  I was thinking the same thing.  I'm not running a motorcycle shop, I'm just changing tires twice a year or so.
tangueroHondo

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 09:41:47 AM »

Someone should post a tire changing vid for those of us stuck in the remedial class of Shop 101.  I've heard stories about needing to put a 794 ft. bar on a 1/2" drive with 30 guys reefing on it to get the rear wheel off the SSS.  I'm scared if it.  But if you do,  beware Roll Eyes - if you're using cheap sockets....we'll all know.
arai_speed
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 09:47:21 AM »

... But if you do,  beware Roll Eyes - if you're using cheap sockets....we'll all know.

laughingdp
VeryMetal

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 08:44:22 AM »

I go to a place called Pat's Tools and buy nearly everything (except my newly purchased torque wrench) second hand. I recently needed to adjust my chain and went and got a high end 30mm Proto socket for $4.50 (which is about 15 bucks cheaper than they are new). Everything I've bought has been high end, and I'm sure by no coincidence, six point, so that's got to say something vs. 12 point sockets. 6 points fit more accurately and have more surface area in contact with the bolt so they're less likely to cause problems.

Some people will only touch Snap-On tools or similar and will recommend you do the same, I think that's bullshit, that leaves most of us in the realm of not being able to afford to work on our bikes ourselves. I think you can find great deals on good tools if you are prepared to look.

If you're on a budget try to find a mom and pop type tool place or an industrial type place where they have used stuff, chances are everything you get from there will be twice as good as something like Craftsman (which is pretty good anyway) at half the price if not less  Wink
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:46:34 AM by VeryMetal » Logged

2002 Ducati Monster 750ie Dark
2005 Monster S2R Dark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: