Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 14, 2024, 05:23:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rusty Clutch Springs.  (Read 2143 times)
CF_Beast

« on: July 08, 2008, 07:18:22 PM »

I got a Rizoma clutch cover and pressure plate about 2 weeks ago. The springs are gathering rust like crazy. i used the stock ones that came inside the stock cover. Does anyone know if they can be treated to remove the rust they have now and prevent further rusting? If not possible, does anyone know where I could get rust resistant new ones?

2005 S4R, Rizoma Lux Grips/Bar Caps, ASV Shorty Levers, DP LED Mirrors, CF Headlight Brackets, Rizoma Clutch Cover/Pressure Plate, Stebel Nautilus horn (139db!), Rizoma Sprocket Cover, EK Chain (Red), Shift-Tech CF Chain Guards/Rear hugger, CW Tail Chop, LED Brake Light, Watsen Design tail signals, Zard Full Exhaust. My wife was OK with the bike until I started spending money on Her, not her... Now I just call her Francesca and say she's my Italian mistress.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »

motowheels pjsparts monsterparts, anyone that sells monster parts will have SS springs and caps.  bacon

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Ivan

Turn 3 at Streets of Willow

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »

I got a Rizoma clutch cover and pressure plate about 2 weeks ago. The springs are gathering rust like crazy. i used the stock ones that came inside the stock cover. Does anyone know if they can be treated to remove the rust they have now and prevent further rusting? If not possible, does anyone know where I could get rust resistant new ones?

I cleaned mine with a wire brush, and then painted them black with rustoleum spray paint.  That was over one year ago, and they still look fine.   

Sold: 2007 S2R1000 for canyon carving and commuting - DP ECU, PCIII, BMC air filter with open box, Zard full exhaust, Race-tech fork internals, Ohlins steering damper, and a Penske 8987 triple clicker

2000 996XU (extra ugly) for track days - BST carbon wheels, Ohlins shock, reworked fork, FBF exhaust, and a bunch of megacycle rocker arms. The rest of it is junk - Hey, I'm just happy that it runs...

Sold: 2002 Aprilia RST1000 for touring - De-restricted airbox, Taylormade Racing exhaust
m9hundo

a.k.a. gil

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:16:25 PM »

speedymoto SS springs and retainers. I just put them on yesterday.  I got them from CA-Cycle.com

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=6635.0

whats moepery? moepery is when you expose yourself to a blind person.
CF_Beast

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 12:00:55 AM »

I cleaned mine with a wire brush, and then painted them black with rustoleum spray paint.  That was over one year ago, and they still look fine.   

What did you use with the wire brush? WD-40 or the like?

2005 S4R, Rizoma Lux Grips/Bar Caps, ASV Shorty Levers, DP LED Mirrors, CF Headlight Brackets, Rizoma Clutch Cover/Pressure Plate, Stebel Nautilus horn (139db!), Rizoma Sprocket Cover, EK Chain (Red), Shift-Tech CF Chain Guards/Rear hugger, CW Tail Chop, LED Brake Light, Watsen Design tail signals, Zard Full Exhaust. My wife was OK with the bike until I started spending money on Her, not her... Now I just call her Francesca and say she's my Italian mistress.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:35:06 AM »

use with?  You don't need to use anything with a wire brush. You really don't want to use anything as a matter of fact.  If you put something like WD-40 before you start brushing you'll just end up with a dirty oily mess

Just brush until the spring is silver again.  If you just work it over with the brush the rusty junk will brush off as dust.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:43:34 AM »

Remember that the stainless steel springs are stiffer than stock so if pull is already an issue you are better off painting the stock springs.
plus with paint you can easily choose and change colors. coffee
CF_Beast

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 06:26:02 AM »

Right. I'm going for the wire brush/rustoleum method. That'll be my weekend project. Does anyone know which hex tool to use on the casing nuts and springs? From what I see there's 2 different ones.

clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 06:31:15 AM »

5mm for the clutch cover bolts
4mm for the clutch spring perches

when you have the pressure plate off be sure to pay attention to the alignment. there is a triangle/arrow on the pressure plate and a slash cut in one of the spring perches. just keep your eyes open while disassembling and you will see what i mean.

might as well paint the pressure plate while it is apart. Grin
arai_speed
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 07:07:22 AM »

I also went wire brush/rostoleum paint.  In the it turned out better than expected.  I also used a rostoleum primer to get a nice even coat.

Here is what they look like:

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=6069.0

Not the best pics but tou'll get the idea.
CF_Beast

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 08:23:05 AM »

when you have the pressure plate off be sure to pay attention to the alignment. there is a triangle/arrow on the pressure plate and a slash cut in one of the spring perches. just keep your eyes open while disassembling and you will see what i mean.

No need... It's a red Rizoma plate. Black Rizoma clutch cover, see thru. It looks real nice. I'm gonna go with Driven red chain/sprockets on the other side. I already have the black Rizoma sprocket cover with CF insert. It's gonna look great when it's done.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:49:05 AM by CF_Beast » Logged

CF_Beast

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 01:32:37 AM »

Right on the money, ducvet! I went to the hardware store, got a nice set of hexes, got home and, sure enough, 5mm and 4mm did those nuts like they're old friends. I bought some WD-40 to work on the rust while I get to scraping them off. I bought Rust-Oleum Specialty High Heat (just in case). It's used on BBQs and stuff like that so I bet it's well suited for the job. It comes in a white and green can. Matte Black cap.

I'll work on that over the weekend, but at least the mr. rust ain't having lunch anymore. Came to think of it and I might do the license plate holder from the tail chop kit. I ordered some shorty Pazzo Levers in black so I might do the piece where they link in. I've notice that they don't go directly onto the brembo piece, so you end up with the golden brembo, a stainless piece, and then the lever (which ever color). Doesn't look as cool as just black all the way to the brembo piece. I'll make sure I put up some pictures when I'm done. I should've done a before after type deal, but its too late for that. Not hard to imagine rusty springs on a clutch plate though.  Grin
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:35:20 AM by CF_Beast » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: