Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 08:19:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ANyone Ever purchased from ReplicaMotoJackets.com  (Read 9358 times)
RonnieF

x

« on: February 07, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »

I'm looking to get some leather pants.. cant find much on ebay or the net other than new and i dont want to pay new prices.
Has anyone purchased from here http://www.replicamotojackets.com/Size_charts.php
Prices are pretty reasonable. I need some in a size 36-38Inch fit.

Ronnie
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:31:02 AM »

You can find name brands in that price range.

I've had a pair of Tourmaster Decker leather over pants for years and they were ~$239.

Size large, $203: http://www.amazon.com/Tourmaster-DECKER-MOTORCYCLE-PANTS-BLACK/dp/B000GBTRSO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:36:15 AM by DucHead » Logged

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:26:26 AM »

their product looks 100% knockoff/counterfeit.

not to mention the website is registered in Pakistan.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
oldndumb

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:10:38 PM »

Even though the site is registered in Pakistan it could be legit......but if it were me, I wouldn't pay the price to find out.

A few years ago I got a lead on someone selling leather racing suits for much less than normal. I got a phone number and spoke with him and learned that he was importing them from Pakistan. Then I went to the University of Google and learned that the critical elements of race suit functionality include the obvious quality of the thread used, the stitching method, and the leather tanning process. It seems some/all Pakistan leather processors are still using methods developed centuries ago. I then remembered seeing some leather jacket and pant sellers at a flea market and went back to take a second look at their products. To my untrained eye, the Pakistan leather looked similar to American/European products but the difference is readily apparent as soon as you touch and handle it. The texture definitely seemed weaker, almost as though it had been beaten excessively. The inner surfaces also had a weird, almost fluffy texture, which is why most were lined.

Disappointed, I then mentioned it to friend who said he had heard of more than one Pakistan manufactured suit exploding during an off. Guess I should have talked to him first and saved myself some time, but it did confirm my opinion.
Triple J
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »

Not to disappoint you guys, but a lot of brand name leathers are made in Pakistan. If not there, then Tunisia is also common. Dainese, Alpinestar, etc. My Dainese race suit (purchased from Motowheels) and street jacket (purchased at Ducati Seattle) both say "Made in Ukraine". My Teknic leather pants say "Made in Pakistan". Tourmaster stuff is usually Pakistan as well...or China.

I was unaware of this until I went to buy a custom "high-end" $1,600 race suit by Ballistik, and asked where it was made --> Pakistan. Same with Heroic (another supposed high-end race suit manufacturer for those not familiar). Personally, I doubt a company has good QC over their stuff made in these places.

My guess is this company is doing the same thing that the Chinese companies have been doing with things such as levers...agree to make them for the well-known companies, but also sell their own knock-off versions on the side for 1/2 the price.  boo boo

Very possible it is the exact same stuff though...knock-off or not. It's why I wear US-made leathers to race, and Aerostitch on the street now.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:43:24 PM by Triple J » Logged
oldndumb

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 08:41:12 AM »

Good to know info, Triple J.

I admit I have not looked at Pakistan leather goods manufactured for a name brand company. My gear is name brand with countries of origin being mainly European, with the Eastern European ones being predominant. A few of my pieces are from China and Korea.

Your posting reminds me that I should have qualified my opinion and not have lumped all Pakistan leather together. No doubt in my mind that they can produce fine goods, so long as they are doing it for, and compliant with, a reputable name brand company, preferably CE and ISO certified.

As far as a foreign company making products for a name brand and then selling the same as knock-offs for half the price, once more be careful. For example, I know for a fact that there are Chinese machine tool companies producing quality machines for sale under private labels, and also producing what is considered to be the same machines for reduced prices under their own label. The reduced priced machines may seem to be the same but they are not manufactured to the same standards and tolerances. I know because I have had the pleasure of re-building three brand new knock-off machines to bring them into tolerance. Most of the time, you do get what you paid for. It is a matter of understanding what you are getting for your money and then deciding if that is acceptable.
Triple J
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »

To clarify:

I don't think the knock-offs are good stuff (leathers or parts). They are most likely inferior to the name brands made in the same facility. Not to mention the ethical issues.

That said, I don't trust the name brands made in those places either. Eastern Europe, like Ukraine, maybe. But Pakistan? No way. I seriously doubt a company representative visits the manufacturing plants in Pakistan very often to keep tabs on quality. Plus, I'm not sending my money there.

Having slid down the pavement several times at a high rate of speed, I can testify that quality is important. My Ukraine-made Dainese leathers protected me in 2 crashes, but required repairs both times in order to pass tech. inspection. My US-made Z-Custom leathers have also protected me in 2 crashes...no repairs needed.  waytogo

That's not to imply that US-made is the only good stuff out there, as I know there are great products from all over. I just prefer to know the history of my gear (i.e., where it was made, and can talk to someone who saw it get made).

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 06:08:17 AM »

So one thing that's not been touched on is the IP - Intellectual Property element. Even if the construction of these garments is up to snuff, they are still ripping off the work that went into the design of the garments

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 10:32:06 AM »

The initial cost is soon made up, but quality lasts.
My leather is from Langlitz, here in Portland, and my textile is AeroStich from Duluth.
Many years later they are all still sound.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: