Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:07:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: texas move..  (Read 9144 times)
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« on: February 25, 2014, 01:24:14 PM »

hey guys and girls of tx..   the wife and i want to move out of ny this year..    tx is top on the list..  still havent decided what area..   most likely just put a 100 mile or so circle around waco to cover austin and  dallas but other areas may be of interest..     

first off, is anyone here selling or renting or know of some one who is?   might just rent for a year first but if the price is right to buy might as well. 

to let you know what we want,  land, 10 acres or more (more being better)..   good enough soil and water to grow on and start our homestead.. not next to a fracking site.. would rather be off the grid but know that may be hard at first so would want the opertunity to get off grid after a while. looking to grow food and have small animals..  been looking on landandfarm.com  and of course cheaper is in desert and close to mexico border.. 

want to be far enough from people but close enough to work.  don't mind an hour or so drive.  homeschooling community is best but good schools would work as well.   shes a medical biller and i'm a cable tech with a security alarms license but can basically do any job with the right trainer.

thanks

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
muskrat

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »

Welcome......almost.  First off the closer you are to dfw the more you should expect to pay, like $20-$40k an acre.  Mid loggia south offers opportunity but don't get near Georgetown (north of Austin) since that's where the population is going.  NorthEast of McKinney offers good land and some nice roads to ride as does Weatherford/Cleborne/glen Rose area.  First you need to decide how many and what type of animals you want.   A lot of areas limit what you can have, obviously.   Land's a plenty so get it while the going is good.  I will tell you that dfw offers more business opportunities than does Austin though.   We have a much more robust industry and very diverse.  Oh and Austin traffic is notoriously bad.  Cool

And don't forget where you're moving to.....we are proud of our stance on many things so don't be "shocked" by the values.  Texas is truly like a whole other country, no joke.  I was adopted by TX and surely the slots are getting fewer so hurry down.  waytogo

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
RichD

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 02:18:55 AM »

Hi Cokey,

It sounds like you've got some "prepper" ideas (grow food, animals, off grid). Hopefully that includes weapons.  Lots of them.  Grin  this is Texas afterall...
If not: the Austin area would probably be more your nitch.
Dallas is a very liberal area. The court system is overrun by them now. 
Fort Worth is more conservative, as is south and west of there.

I live in Arlington on the south end of town. A little too close to town for me, but there are horses and cows out the back fence.  The economy is doing pretty good here. I was laid off in November, am not really looking for a job and yet stay very busy with too many opportunities of stuff to do.

It all depends what you want...

I did what you are planning: Rent first.  That way you can look around and find what is right for you.

BTW, born and raised in Port Jeff L.I.

DFW-MFer!
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:58:35 AM »

yes i'm a prepper..     animals would include chickens, rabbits and goats mostly.. maybe pig, but with all the wild bore running around probably could just hunt them..   muskrat, i'm well aware of how tx is.. been there a few times.. all though we don't practice religion we're aren't bothered by others beliefs.. guns, one of the selling pionts of leaving nannyyork...  after the few things that have been happening in austin and with all the cali and ny types moving there, we def don't want to be in austin itself.   

been looking on landwatch and landandfarm for properties, but like i said, if anyone is selling or know of some one who is, would probably be easier to deal with them..      hell, if you've got 40+ acres and would sell me some land, it would be sweet.   

I WIN

About the goat...
muskrat

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »

muskrat, i'm well aware of how tx is.. been there a few times.. all though we don't practice religion we're aren't bothered by others beliefs.. guns, one of the selling pionts of leaving nannyyork...  after the few things that have been happening in austin and with all the cali and ny types moving there, we def don't want to be in austin itself.   

waytogo
let us know if you need anything.  I'd look South/SouthWest and North/NorthEast as well as Midlothian to Waco area.

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »

right outside of athens,  found 23 acres  for less then 100k..  2010 census puts it about 12k pop..   about 18% below poverty line income wise..   ok area?    like i said, don't mind driving an hour or so to work

I WIN

About the goat...
RichD

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »

I like the Midolothian idea.  Rent there.  Explore...
(Alvarado isn't bad either.  Mansfield taxes are too high (I know I pay em! ))

Then settle on a place to buy.   waytogo

Renting is cheap here compared to what you're used to and gives you a lot of flexibility.

DFW-MFer!
muskrat

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 04:48:11 PM »

That's not a bad area, out of the metroplex but within driving distance.  You will have great roads nearby to the East - Piney Hills region.  When you decide let us know and a few of us can provide a welcoming party for ya!  Good luck on your search....I'm jealous.

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
TresGatos

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 10:18:22 PM »

My 2 cents: I live in Jacksonville about 30 mins ese of Athens.  Lots of good moto roads around!

'65 Honda CM91 - '98 Suzuki DR650 - '08 695+mods - '08 Hypermotard 1100S
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 10:27:14 AM »

Anyone have or know of any rentals available that take big dogs.. location doesn't matter too mich.  Looking near Arlington,  but I'll look at all offers..

I WIN

About the goat...
RichD

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 03:43:27 PM »

Anyone have or know of any rentals available that take big dogs.. location doesn't matter too mich.  Looking near Arlington,  but I'll look at all offers..

House? Apartments?

I'm no real estate dude but I'll look around

DFW-MFer!
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 07:11:42 PM »

Looks like would have to be house.  All the places we looked don't let pit bulls live there. 

I WIN

About the goat...
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »

Ok, so we should be moving come July.  Arlington it looks like for now.   You would think since I've been working for TWC the past 10+ years they would just give me a job.    You have to reapply.  Still waiting on that but I'm going to try and get a manager this week to see what's up.     I want to take at least a month off before going to work though.   Family time and to get situated.  Will be looking at other options too.  Might do uber also.     

I WIN

About the goat...
muskrat

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »

Well finally a decision.   applause
Let us know when you get here.  I myself am looking for about 20 or so acres. 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 09:12:02 PM »

Nice..  yeah ive found few good ones for cheap...  If  anyone here work in or with IBEW?   Since I can't transfer with twc,  I'm trying get to go through the union.  I could probably keep my 10 years.   Contacted some one in local 7 today.  They said they will get back to me...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:16:48 PM by cokey » Logged

I WIN

About the goat...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: