Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 12:29:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extreme practice  (Read 15089 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 05:20:54 PM »

I doubt it matters. If your comfortable doing it, do it.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »

With as much stop and go traffic I see on my daily commute, and the traffic that goes from 70-0 instantly, I've gotten used to not only braking hard but downshifting as well. I don't just pull in the clutch and drop several gears, I clutch in, downshift, engage, clutch in, downshift, engage, etc.

Is that bad?

I've driven that way my whole life. On occasion I might 'coast' brake, but rarely.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
NAKID

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 08:12:02 AM »

I've driven that way my whole life. On occasion I might 'coast' brake, but rarely.

OK, glad to see I'm not the only one. Seems to slow down much faster this way rather than just braking. Also means I'll be in the proper gear if I have to get right back on the throttle to avoid something else...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
SwiftTone

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 04:36:39 PM »

When braking hard, get on all fours...front and rear brakes, clutch and shift. I think your in a emergency braking situation, the next gear you need is 1st
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 04:31:34 PM »

I never use rear brake on the street, never.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 06:40:32 PM »

I never use rear brake on the street, never.

I pretty much don't either.

Maybe if I'm at a stop on a really steep hill I'll cheat and use it to hold the bike in place when I go to get moving again.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 06:46:15 PM »

I pretty much don't either.

Maybe if I'm at a stop on a really steep hill I'll cheat and use it to hold the bike in place when I go to get moving again.

Agreed

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 02:30:14 AM »

Agreed

another agreed.

I was just reading an article on Cycle World on this very subject (extreme braking).

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
manwithgun

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »

One thing to keep in mind about extreme braking, whether it's a panic situation or just going deep, is to never "snatch" at the brake.  It needs to be applied while being mindful of how much load has been distributed into the tire.  A front tire can be rather easy to lock up if you are just riding along and quickly pull at the lever.   The weight and inertia of the motorcycle has not had a chance to transfer through the suspension and downward into the contact patch where it compounds your grip level.   In a straight line, on any halfway descent surface, a properly loaded tire would more than likely throw you over the bars before it skids (cruisers and harleys excluded).  We're only talking about a fraction of second here, but it is a crucial moment in time...

I ride both kinds,   Country, and Western.....
MONTY59

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 05:53:20 PM »

the advice you guys are giving is priceless.the brakes on my 1993 monster are far superior to any other bike i've owned and to be honest i'm sh-t scared to jam the front brake on in case i go over the bars. and i've been riding for 30 years Dolph. I will endevour to practice chug
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 06:16:11 PM »

You won't just for over the front.

Likely you would lock the front or brake so hard the rear came up a little. Or a lot Wink

Start easy and work your way up as you become more comfortable.

Honestly, 20 minutes in a parking lot may double your knowledge of you front brakes capability.

MONTY59

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »

[beer]monsterlover will practice  Dolph
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2015, 03:32:23 AM »

waytogo

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: