Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 13, 2024, 07:15:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you rebuild a rear shock?  (Read 2122 times)
Jordan

"Don't dress for the ride...dress for the crash"

« on: July 10, 2008, 10:02:13 AM »

Is this possible with out any special equipment? Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere?  I finally got a replacement Sachs for my leaking Showa but I want to try and fix the Showa myself for fun.

On a side not:  The Sachs is from a 2003 800ss is this inferior to my stock 99 Showa?

Thanks,
Jordan

99 900ss
Hedgehog

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:36:53 PM »

It takes special tools to deal with rear shocks.  You have to be setup to deal with the 70PSI in the bladder, as well as re-pressurizing with 70PSI dry nitrogen.  This is one of those things that you just don't want to try.
Jordan

"Don't dress for the ride...dress for the crash"

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:53:32 PM »

It takes special tools to deal with rear shocks.  You have to be setup to deal with the 70PSI in the bladder, as well as re-pressurizing with 70PSI dry nitrogen.  This is one of those things that you just don't want to try.

Ah damn.  Thanks for the info.  BTW what should it cost to rebuild a shock that leaked all the oil?  No pits on the rod.

I'm still curious if the Showa is better than the Sachs?

99 900ss
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »

Ah damn.  Thanks for the info.  BTW what should it cost to rebuild a shock that leaked all the oil?  No pits on the rod.

I'm still curious if the Showa is better than the Sachs?

Showas are stock components on 999 and also 1098 i believe. the 999s/1098s models come with Ohlins. Showas are also fully adjustable, and sachs are only 2 way adjustable. After monstermash confirmed that a 999shock fits on a S2R1k, i am now looking to replace my Sachs with a stock 999 Showa.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 05:04:12 PM »

the pressures in the shock reservoirs are usually 150-200psi.
There are a few special tools needed and I recommend watching someone do it the first time.

I have rebuilt hundreds of shocks and from looking at the internal components I would say that (for the SS shocks) the sachs boge shock is much better in design and function. Where they let us down is in parts availability, I much prefer the valving on the sachs to the showa.

That said all that really matters is what you as the rider think so go spring that thing and you let US know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: