Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 13, 2024, 09:18:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock shock S2R 800 partially purple - good/bad/cool?  (Read 1311 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: July 10, 2008, 02:02:33 PM »

My '07 still has the stock shock and the lower inch or so is light purple - the rest is golden/silver.
I don't use it for enduro races, but I am weighing 230 and riders sag is roughly two inches. Could it be that the abnormal travel will be too much for the poor shock, getting it hot enough to change colors Embarrassed

I'm already planning a full suspension rebuild, so we don't need to discuss new parts - I'm just curious about the color change Huh?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 09:52:08 PM »

My '07 still has the stock shock and the lower inch or so is light purple - the rest is golden/silver.
I don't use it for enduro races, but I am weighing 230 and riders sag is roughly two inches. Could it be that the abnormal travel will be too much for the poor shock, getting it hot enough to change colors Embarrassed

I'm already planning a full suspension rebuild, so we don't need to discuss new parts - I'm just curious about the color change Huh?

Got a picture?

Are you sure this is a new situation, or maybe you just didn't notice it before?

If it was getting that hot, I'd expect it to have puked all the oil out.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:31:59 PM »

No oil anywhere.
Might have been like this for a "long" time, but not from birth I would think Huh?

I'm still figuring out how to work the new invention - the digital camera - and how to post pictures.

CairnsDuc
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:39:16 PM »

I'm about the same weight as you and my Shock (same bike and year) is not purple,

Maybe I ride like a little girl?
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:56:57 PM »

I'm about the same weight as you and my Shock (same bike and year) is not purple,

Maybe I ride like a little girl?

laughingdp I don't know if you do, but I know that I do.  laughingdp    Well, not really, but I go for spirited group rides of +/- 150 miles about once a month.
I can't imagine my rides to be especially challenging to the shocks other than the fact that they might suffer under the long travel from my weight/wrong spring rate. If it was purple all over, which it isn't, I guess it could have been from degreasing/washing.

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 07:39:32 AM »

Perhaps there's a slight oil film there from the tiny bit of oil that the seal lets by.
Or a residue from washing/degreasing.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
tangueroHondo

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:02:55 AM »

Hey there you Norweigian. My 05 S2R  has a bluish hue to the piston shaft to about half of full travel.  My sag is 1.25 inches. Shocked  Mine is certainly not the result of heat. 
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 11:03:07 AM »

Me Norwegian, me drink

I was able to take a good look at it today in different light conditions. The one inch I was referring to is a lot less with the light hitting it differently.
Slight film and/or residues sound like the closest to an explanation - if there really is a need for one. I'm not worried about it now.
Thanks for the feedback guys waytogo

CairnsDuc
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 04:09:55 PM »

Well, there you go, I went out this morning to give the Bike it's weekly tub, and sure enough, the bottom of the shock has turned just slightly purple, had to on the right angle to see it.
Not sure if that has been like that since day one, but for as many times as I have cleaned the bike, oiled the chain and all the other things I have done near the shock I have never noticed it.

Maybe I don't ride such a little girl after all!  cheeky

Not to worried though, an Ohlins will be on it's way to replace it soon.

PS: Maybe we should stop referring to our unused parts of the tyre as Chicken strips, maybe we should start referring to them as  bacon Strips. Might make a topic about that....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: