Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 03, 2024, 09:17:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what do you suppose a talented machinist would charge for this?  (Read 7545 times)
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« on: July 05, 2014, 05:45:46 AM »

drool

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/ducati-workbench/29882-m900-851-888-billet-swingarm.html

bow down

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 06:00:04 AM by Buck Naked » Logged

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 07:44:48 AM »

A quick google put the price of just the raw plate stock at ~$600 ( 3"x12"x24" 6061-T6).

SWAG.... about a $3k part there.

There's pro machinists here somewhere....

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 02:18:27 PM »

The "old" Monster people must be dying out on this board. This piece is sexy.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
thorn14

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 03:18:22 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous! But I don't have a hoop on my new old monster.  Wink Nor even anything close to 3k to spare.

M620 turned M800 but then back to M620 after the M800 died at 110k, and now to Multi 1000.
Nibor

insanity far outweighs horsepower

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »

if only!
Triple J
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 09:41:26 PM »

That swing arm is definitely cool. However, I don't think it matches the bike, due to the tubular trellis frame. IMO, this Moto Corse swingarm fits the style of the bike better (I'd remove the hugger).

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:43:35 PM by Triple J » Logged
teddy037.3
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »

derby?

+1 on the moto corse swinger
MonsterMadMarty

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »

Ooo..... A work of art.  It would be a bugger to clean!

RIDING - 1993 M900 x 2; 2007 M400; 2007 Factory 900XR

Recently purchased: Fire damaged 2001 S4!

My greatest fear in life is that when I die my better half will sell my Ducati's and tools for the price I told her I paid for them!
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 07:08:30 AM »

That swing arm is definitely cool. However, I don't think it matches the bike, due to the tubular trellis frame. IMO, this Moto Corse swingarm fits the style of the bike better (I'd remove the hugger).

Loooove the moto corse swingarm but it's only compatible with ST framed Monsters. Sad

Not that I could justify buying either.

Düb Lüv
ASE master internet mechanic

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 07:32:09 AM »

Metmachex makes a swingarm for the early monsters and 888s. They have additional option braces that can be added for strength also.

Building, building, building
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 08:53:34 AM »

The "old" Monster people must be dying out on this board. This piece is sexy.
Sexy does not make it a worthwhile mod for the price IMO. The cost of that item was prohibitive and still would be to duplicate.

The mods I do are performance related. I see no gain in that item performance wise.

Of course if you're trying to make some sort of statement it's just the ticket...

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 09:19:01 AM »

Sexy does not make it a worthwhile mod for the price IMO. The cost of that item was prohibitive and still would be to duplicate.

The mods I do are performance related. I see no gain in that item performance wise.

Of course if you're trying to make some sort of statement it's just the ticket...

I don't disagree that the cost is prohibitive and a poor investment. Technically tho there is a performance gain in terms of weight reduction, and it's a little judgmental to assume blowing large amounts of income on your bike is done only to make a vain statement. I love billet aluminum, if money was no object I'd buy this in a heart beat for my own pleasure.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 09:27:30 AM »

It wasn't that much lighter to gain a damn thing on the street...

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...if you can post that an ebay seller irritates you because you don't like his prices, I can post that someone that will spend that kind of cake on bling is just trying to make a statement.

Get over yourself.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »

Really, that offended you? Seemed like a pretty constructive comment to me.

In any case, the average Joe wouldn't even be able to spot most of the mods we make to our bikes, making em pretty self serving. I have an ex gf who once admonished me as we were leaving the house and I looked back over my shoulder at my Monster because; "I never look at her the way I look at my bike", lol.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:03:02 PM by Buck Naked » Logged

memper

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »

A bling statement can be vain but not necessarily. It could also be a creative statement. Buying simply because it's shiny and expensive (exclusive)=vain in my book. Buying because it truly grabs your attention no matter how low or high the price=creative choice. 
But whatevs. Digression.  coffee

"Calling a bikini fairing on a monster a fairing is like calliing a girl in an actual bikini proper work attire....unless shes a stripper." -He Man

-----------------------------------------
Important: always check your battery filter and regularly change your headlight fluid.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: