Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 12:23:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for new gloves - What are you wearing?  (Read 28713 times)
Two dogs
S2R1000 gives me a warm feeling in my

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 01:45:24 PM »

Icon overlord short summer gloves
Goats skin with Kanga palm CF knuckles .
Absolutely love them  waytogo felt like an old girlfriend the moment I put my fingers into them  cheeky
Was a bit worried how thin the Roo palm was but after almost a year they are still perfect.
Makes for a more intimate contact with the grips only downside is running the heated grips on high
gets a bit toasty through the thin Roo leather.
They run larger than other gloves I usually use XXL in Alpinestar these are XL and fit perfectly.
Would I buy again YES but they don't look like waring out any time soon so I hope they are still making them
in a few years.
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 04:39:21 PM »

Held Air N Dry gloves -- awesome.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
NAKID

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 01:00:40 PM »

Currently wearing AGV Sport Telluride for my winter gloves. I like them, warm enough for SoCal riding and have armor protection. Decently priced at under $100

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 12:50:42 PM »

So I was lucky enough to receive a pair of Racer R-Safe gloves as a gift, but they are going back for something else

After wearing a bit around the house and moments of 'Hmmm, the left and right don't feel the same.." I took some closer looks.

QC fail. The left and right gloves have some rather different measures and placements of parts. For examples, one seam is 6mm on one side and 20 on the other. The retention strap D ring has near a cm difference in placement and the total cuff length is different.

I want to like them and they appear like they would offer a lot of protection. But such obvious differences and the quality control level they represent give me concern about issues I cannot see.

Gonna try RS tai chi next

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2015, 05:37:02 AM »

<snip>

Gonna try RS tai chi next

Never wore their gloves, but my Taichi leathers have performed admirably for a long time. They also are extremely comfortable.

Curious to hear about them.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

S21FOLGORE

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 12:00:29 PM »

Have been wearing these for a while (since last summer).
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=39192

I won’t repeat what you can read on STG’s web site, but will tell you a couple of important thing.

I’ve been very happy with these gloves. Comfort and feel are one of the best out there. (Compare to Rev’it Jerez, Dainese Full Metal RS, for example, RS Taichi fits better, and operating levers and switches is easier.)

2)What sets these gloves apart from the others (e.g. : Jerez and Full Metal RS) in the comfort and the mobility department is that the armors on the fingers and knuckles are “floating” on the outside of the glove, rather than mounting them inside of the glove or directly outside of the gloves.
Also, the knuckle armor is “split”, that does too make a big difference.

3)Finger length
This is one of the most important things when choosing “motorcycle” gloves.
Look at RS Taichi ‘s sizing guide. (Scroll down all the way. The gloves chart is at the bottom of the page.)
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Page.bok?template=RS+Taichi+Sizing+Chart

Over the time, the gloves will stretch a bit in (A), but will shrink in (B).
So, well designed “motorcycle - specific” gloves are built accordingly. When you put on a brand new set of gloves, and feel like the width is pretty snug without the feeling of overly tight, but the fingers are tad too long (NOT an inch extra long, you know that) , then, that is the RIGHT size for you.
In other word, put on the gloves, open your fingers stretched out, and then , if...
A) the tip your finger touches inside of the glove’s finger end
or
B)you feel the pressure at the finger tips
or
C)there’s a space in between your finger crotch and the glove

that gloves is too small.
Not only it is uncomfortable to wear the gloves that are too small, you are risking the glove’s (fingers) seam burst open in the event of crush.

I wear size “M” with these RS Taichi gloves. For the reference, I’m in “M” with most Rev’it gloves, “S” in most Dainese gloves. (I could use “M” size Dainese, but the fingers would be a little bit too long. Rev’it Jerez fits just fine. It’s just RS Taichi GP-Evo feel better.)

wrist closure system
The video is about the older model, but the system is the same. I like this, too. (I’m a bit of paranoid about the idea of gloves coming off when sliding on the pavement.)

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 05:33:29 AM »

Curious to hear about them.

I'll update once I have them DP

S21FOLGORE, it seems that the glove makers consider my hands Gorillas. In alpine stars I need a XXL. I find the XXL of Dainese too short in the fingers, and Rev'it... those are a cruel joke. I can't even manage XXXL from them- for length or circunference. Held I need a 10 Long, which is difficult to get in the US recently. But if the RS Taichi gloves (same model you have) don't pan out I may just go with some Phantom IIs.

When I sent the Racer gloves back, some XXXL RS Taichis will be on the way.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2015, 10:58:30 AM »

Have you considered Helimot?
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 06:07:20 AM »

Not really.  I looked at their site and the gloves seem rather dated.  Of course that's only my impression from looking at their website... But it is what it is.

So no we have the RS Taichi GP-EVO Racing Glove NXT054 on the block now after returning a set of Racer R-safe gloves due to dubious quality control

As (well) known they run very small. The RS TaiChi 3XL is sized about the same in all measures as AlpineStars 2XL that I've worn to date. 3XL comes in black only.

Close inspection after the Racer (R-Safe model) gloves shows better QC here. The glove has more complex construction, despite that I didn't spot any mismatched sizes, alignments etc.

The split knuckle design on the TaiChi gloves is more comfortable than the more common solid 4 knuckle set up that just about every other glove uses. I don't feel the same pressure I commonly get with the solid knuckles when I make a (somewhat exaggerated) grip.

An other nice feature is that the retention strap end has Velcro on both sides, and is intended to be pulled back to the gauntlet closures to further adjust the fit. One can close it normally, perpendicular to the wrist or pull down to the gauntlet closure.

Speaking of the gauntlet closure, it's a two part deal. There's a smaller, medial flap with velcro on both sides and the larger lateral flap. I've seen other gloves use this two flap design, but have not owned any to date, so I'm not sure how it'll impact things.

One item I'd like to have, but these gloves do not have is the 3-4 finger bridge. There's no form of attachment at all.

They do have the newest version of the Knox SPS sliders. The Racers had the previous generation. While I'm not sure if it was the previous gen SPS or the Racer glove itself, it was a lot more noticeable on the Racer gloves. It wasn't in an area that would be on the bars and wasn't uncomfortable, just notable in comparison to gloves without or to the TaiChi gloves. On the TaiChi gloves i don't really notice the SPS plates at all.

TaiChis choices of materials is a little more traditional than Racer.  Moo and Roo leather, while Racer added quite a bit of super fabric. On the Racer the whole outer edge of the hand and the Palm area that supported the SPS was super fabric vs leather on the TaiChi gloves.  Don't know if/what difference this would make during a get off.

So far the TaiChi gloves are looking pretty good

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Triple J
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2015, 09:17:56 AM »

Not really.  I looked at their site and the gloves seem rather dated.  Of course that's only my impression from looking at their website... But it is what it is.

Helimot stuff is as good as it gets, regardless of their website. I can wear any gloves I want racing, and I wear Helimot. One pair has been through three crashes, and they're still perfectly functional.

That's not to say there aren't other great gloves out there, as there most definitely are...but don't underestimate Helimot's stuff. RS Taichi makes great stuff as well. A* is generally shit across the board...I've personally seen their "race" gloves split at the seam from normal use (and in crashes). Their boots are well known to fall apart without ever hitting the ground.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:23:34 AM by Triple J » Logged
StephenC

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 11:57:37 PM »

As a non-track rider, I'm rocking the new REV'IT! Strikers. I love everything about them... Slightly padded palm, minimal styling, hard knuckle that has SOME flex, breathable, and even a bit of a cuff. They are perfect for my type of riding, and don't make me look like a gixxer racer boy.

Also have a well-designed smart phone compatible index finger and thumb... that actually WORK.
Note that since this picture was taken, the smartphone fingers have been redesigned... they electro material is now on the TIP of the finger, in between the seems, rather than on the pad of the finger tip.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-striker-gloves

I have a pair of a* gp-plus gloves for very spirited riding days.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of these, I want something that works on a touchscreen..  I currently have a pair of Five Airflow for summer (great ventilation), Five HG1-WP for winter (heated!!) and Rev'it Zenith H2O for in between.

Ducati Monster 1100S (2009)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »

I've been wearing the same pair of Held Phantom's since 2006 and crashed in them 3 times.  They're still good to go.  The rain squeegee is pretty cool and they are really comfortable.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
1.21GW

bikeless

Re:
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »

Question: what are we supposed to be doing to our Helds to take care of the kangaroo?

I think mine are overdue for some care.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 11:22:04 AM »

Held recommends washing with warm water and drying to remove the salts.

http://www.revzilla.com/held-glove-wash-n-care
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:24:56 AM by ducpainter » Logged

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 11:35:21 AM »

Held recommends washing with warm water and drying to remove the salts.

http://www.revzilla.com/held-glove-wash-n-care

Clicked link.  Man, those are some comprehensive directions.  Ok, I guess I'll need to clear out a 7-8 hours this weekend to wash my gloves.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: