Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 06:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aussie Monster 659 Throttle Restrictor  (Read 10889 times)
GeoQB

« on: February 13, 2013, 02:35:54 PM »

I know , I've read about this mod a few times but never had a definative answer on the best way to go about removing this restrictor plate without either damaging the frame at least and of course voiding the warranty.
This would also affect the LAMS classification depending on who did the mod.

Can anyone, who has actually done this, supply info for those of us wanting that little bit more 'grunt' ?
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »

Is there really a plate? That seems rather old school, since this can be done via software these days.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
duke8

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 01:51:02 AM »

It is indeed a plate... Whilst I wouldn't recommend it, it can be done...

The easiest way to do it is to bend the little lip backwards and then bend it back once it's time to sell.... The way it is installed makes it a whole lot harder to remove to plate all together without getting the grinder out.

All u need to do is take a flat head screw driver and knock it back untill you have full throttle movement. Bending it back takes some work but I have done it on my 620 with success...

Just be aware that you will be riding an illegal bike if still on your restrictions and if u have an accident, it could cause a whole lot of problems with your insurance co

If you are off your restrictions, take it to a dealer and have it done properly or failing that trade it in for an evo  Grin

'06 S4RS
'05 Monster 620
dukeofbne

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 07:33:44 AM »

I did this on mine recently and its actually not as hard as it seems to achieve what you're after. I wanted the same! Full power for now but the ability to put it back easily if required (insurance, licence restrictions, full resale value for a LAMS bike etc.).

The plate has two screws holding it in place at the top and bottom. They're designed so you can't undo them with the screw heads being smooth and cone shaped with a small flat peak.

What you need to achieve is removing the top screw which allows you to rotate the plate clockwise just enough so the throttle can turn further.

All we did (a mate helped me out) was drill out the top screw, removed it and then replaced it with a normal phillips head screw that matched the thread. Meaning at any point I can simply use a screwdriver to loosen the top screw a little, rotate the plate anti-clockwise back into place and tighten the screw. Voila, restricted again.

The hardest part is getting the stock screw out. We drilled through the centre of it at first to make a hole (we strategically placed an old rag beneath it so metal shavings didn't end up throughout the bike) and then used a special drill bit to unscrew it. I can't remember what it's called (maybe someone can help with that?) but basically the thread on the drill bit is backwards so that when you are using the drill in reverse (spin anti-clockwise to unscrew) the drill bit thread is actually driving in further causing a gripping effect which in turn then unscrews the stock screw. My theory on how that works might be a little off but it exists for sure and it works perfectly. It's just a drill bit too so you can pick one up from a hardware store for cheap.

And all of that was done between the metal tubing of the naked frame, harm free (be careful of course), without the need to remove/dismantle anything.

Hope that helps, I know i'm a little late to the party Smiley

Happy riding! I absolutely love my 659, couldn't have picked a better first bike!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:05:52 AM by dukeofbne » Logged

-- Seriously Lana, call Kenny Loggins cause you're in the Danger Zone...from TopGun
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »

Not 100% sure if the bit you used was just a left handed drill bit, or an extractor. Bit they do have bits that look normal, but the cutting faces and flutes are made to cut when spun counter clockwise. With those, one doesn't even always need to drill with a 'normal' bit - as they will drill and on occasion just spin out the problem bolt.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
dukeofbne

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 01:31:45 AM »

Thanks Slide Panda. Googled it a bit and I think what we used was as you said a left handed drill bit.

This guy explains the process/options pretty clearly.

-- Seriously Lana, call Kenny Loggins cause you're in the Danger Zone...from TopGun
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 02:19:57 AM »

This guy explains the process/options pretty clearly.

Yep he first mentions a left handed (anti clockwise) drill bit. Next he shows an extractor - the EZ out

Lefty bits a harder to find - I had one hardware shop staff get annoyed, thinking i was having him on about left handed bits. I had to show him my phone with a search pulled up. He'd never heard of them.

So harder to find. But really really handy when you have this issue

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: