Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 12, 2024, 09:20:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing rotors and pads question.  (Read 1218 times)
Christophe

« on: July 11, 2008, 08:04:10 AM »

Hi all,

I just bought my some new rotors for my 94 Monster. Before going out to ride, I was wondering if I also have to replace the pads. Do you have to replace these items simultaneously or will the pads conform to the new flat surface of the rotors shortly?

thanks,

Christophe
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:46:18 AM »

If the rotors are brand new, just make sure they're clean, carb cleaner on a clean rag works fine.

If they're used, scrub 'em a bit with a scotchbrite pad, and then clean 'em.

You can sand the pads a bit to remove the glaze, sandpaper on a piece of glass or other *flat* surface works good.
Don't go overboard, and be careful to keep the pad surface flat.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Christophe

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:30:38 AM »

The rotors are brand new, bought em off Yoyodyne. So it seems that I can keep the old pads, but i have to make sure they do not have any obvious ridges or bumps. I guess they will wear gradually and conform to the new rotors. I just didn't want to damage my rotors!
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:54:15 PM »

The rotors are brand new, bought em off Yoyodyne. So it seems that I can keep the old pads, but i have to make sure they do not have any obvious ridges or bumps. I guess they will wear gradually and conform to the new rotors. I just didn't want to damage my rotors!

If I had just invested in new rotors, for not much more I'd put on new pads.  Just sayin'.   waytogo

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:02:24 PM »

Just take them out and bed them in like you just put on new pads. you will feel the rotors/pads getting better after they start mating together better. waytogo
EEL

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 06:37:08 AM »

+1 The only time I recommend used pads is on Braketech axis rotors for the first 100 miles to get the black coating off the cast iron rotors.

Other than that old pads may break in your rotors slightly incorrectly, if your really tight on money, i wouldnt worry about it. Try to go for softer pads instead of hard one to allow for better break-in
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: