Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 04, 2024, 08:18:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updated: Opinion (was review): Motul 300V  (Read 28958 times)
bullet boy
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 01:46:01 PM »

I had used 300V since my 620 was new and had never had an issue with it (other than the cost and availability!) Recently switched to Mobil 1 Twin 20W-50 after a move to deep S. Texas where it is REALLY hot and Motul is not to be found. Can't tell a bit of difference, and the M1 is only half the cost.
EEL

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 06:00:30 AM »

I've been runnning motul 5100 10w40 for the last 12,000 miles. I have almost 15k on the bike. My last monster I used mobil 4t every time. On that bike, my clutch started slipping at 15k. We'll see how long it holds on on this bike. But I have a feeling that fully synthetic oils (especially Mobil 4T) are too slippery for wet clutches. Hence the long term test with Motul. So far everything has been exactly the same experience with Motul as Mobil. Feels the same. DOESNT feel the same in the pocket book though. Its almost half the price.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 10:01:55 AM »

If the oil you are using says JASO MA on the container it is designed for wet clutches.  AFAIK, though Motul 300 meets 4T standards it does not meet JASO MA standards.
jerryz

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 03:18:46 PM »

I have been using Motul 300 in the S4 and its a good  oil , very good film on motor surfaces like the all important rockers even after standing for long period unused.
Hedgehog

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 03:21:30 PM »

I have been using Motul 300 in the S4 and its a good  oil , very good film on motor surfaces like the all important rockers even after standing for long period unused.

How long have you actually let an engine sit before pulling the cams to check for oil film?
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 08:16:59 PM »

1+ for the Motul V 300 15w 50; I switcherd in my M800 after much chatting with several bike shops and dealerships; it costs extra but after 3,000 miles its just tinge darker; it made a difference in a smooter and more positive shifts; plus the bike runs cooler; from 190 F at 60 MPH on a hot day, usually hovers at 210 F city driving to hot idling city driving it may hit 220 F (it sounds like but is not a paid advertisemsnt nor do I have any financial intrests in Motul...)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 08:23:58 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

.... all the world is yours.
Hedgehog

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 09:17:57 AM »

after 3,000 miles its just tinge darker

One of the primary functions of a motor oil is to hold contaminants (mostly carbon) in suspension.  You can tell it's performing this function by watching it get darker.  If an oil isn't getting darker, it's dumping the gunk somewhere, and it's probably not in the filter.
dlearl476

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 11:51:26 AM »

I'm not dissing Motul.  I'm dissing the idea that there is any noticeable difference between any two brands of oil; whether its synth or dino.

Do a change with Motul and get back to us.  I've noticed a big difference in just about every application I've used Motul products in, from my BMW R75/5 to my '99 Triumph Sprint and Monster M900.

For that matter, I just changed the Porsche to 6100 and I no longer think I need a tune up.  It's THAT much smoother.  I thought there was something wrong with my  '81 MotoGuzzi v-50 transmission.  I'd put Valvoline synth gear lube in when I bought it and two weeks ago when I changed it to Motul 80W-90 it completely cleared up the difficult shifts, clunkyness, and hard to find neutral.
Hedgehog

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 12:16:40 PM »

Do a change with Motul and get back to us.

I'll pass, thanks.  Nothing would be served by fixing what isn't broke.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 12:27:12 PM »

Does anyone know if George from TOB made the switch over here or if he has a perspective on the 300v?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:44:05 PM by CDawg » Logged
Hedgehog

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 12:31:25 PM »

Do a change with Motul and get back to us.  I've noticed a big difference in just about every application I've used Motul products in, from my BMW R75/5 to my '99 Triumph Sprint and Monster M900.

An update:

I did a search on crs-america and motul.  Can you guess what I found on the advrider board, dlearl?

Posted by:
dlearl476
Beastly Adventurer

CRS-America-New Lines-Motul-Deka

I just got word that I've been approved as a dealer for Motul Oil and WestPenn (Deka) AGM batteries, along with the WURTH line I've carried for a year. I'm going to post some ADVRider specials to celebrate next week after I get complete pricing from the manufacturers.

Shame
dlearl476

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 06:36:23 AM »

Shame

Why?  Why would I not recomend the oil that I believe in to the point I became a dealer for it and recommend it for the bikes I sell.  Did I offer to sell it here.  Did I even hint at that being my motivation?

It's good.  Don't believe me.  Put YOUR money where your mouth is, like I did.

Take a sample of the oil you use, before and after your prefered service interval.  Do the same with Motul 300V.  (Disregard any "seat of the pants" science you get from the obvious differences in your motor's running.  It's "all in your head".  Grin )

Send it to these guys: http://www.oillab.com/oil.html and let THEM tell you what's what.
jesse370

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 08:00:10 AM »

my bike has only had 300v after its first fill up at the factory.

White S4Rs | Ducati Performance Chip | Termi's | Hyperpro side mount damper | Motowheels MW-7000 Slipper | Billet Clutch Cover |  Speedymoto Ti Spring Caps | Speedymoto Stainless Springs | STM Frame Plugs | Ducati Performance Seat | CRG Roll-A-Clicks
Hedgehog

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 08:34:17 AM »

Why?  Why would I not recomend the oil that I believe in to the point I became a dealer for it and recommend it for the bikes I sell.  Did I offer to sell it here.  Did I even hint at that being my motivation?

Now this is just silly.  You become a dealer to make money.  Motul is a premium oil so you make premium money for it.  Stop the hypocritical nonsense.  You're a dealer for Motul, so say that UP FRONT; not after someone catches you at it.

It's good.  Don't believe me.  Put YOUR money where your mouth is, like I did.

Take a sample of the oil you use, before and after your prefered service interval.  Do the same with Motul 300V.  (Disregard any "seat of the pants" science you get from the obvious differences in your motor's running.  It's "all in your head".  Grin )

Send it to these guys: http://www.oillab.com/oil.html and let THEM tell you what's what.

I've already told you once that there's no need to fix something that isn't broken.  Iti may actually do something a bit better than the cheaper oils.  Does it matter?  No, as a matter of fact, it makes no difference at all.  Once something is good enough, it doesn't buy you anything to pay four times the price to get marginal improvements over what is already just fine.
dlearl476

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »

Now this is just silly.  You become a dealer to make money.  Motul is a premium oil so you make premium money for it.  Stop the hypocritical nonsense.  You're a dealer for Motul, so say that UP FRONT; not after someone catches you at it.

No, silly is going off half-cocked before you know what you're talking about.  I'm a dealer for several lines of product so I can get them at cost.  I chose those particular lines because I believe they offer a benefit over what's available at Checker/Zone/Boys.  I don't advertise the fact in DMF because, without being a sponsor, it's against the rules.  fwiw, I personally use about 90% of the products I buy from my Motul rep, which includes Motul products and UNI filters.  The other 10% is sell pretty much at cost + shipping to folks I know from several MC websites.  I financially support the websites, like ADVrider, for spreading the word.  I would love to do it here, but the vig for becoming a sponsor is about 25 times what I make selling that 10% in a year.

I've already told you once that there's no need to fix something that isn't broken.  Iti may actually do something a bit better than the cheaper oils.  Does it matter?  No, as a matter of fact, it makes no difference at all.  Once something is good enough, it doesn't buy you anything to pay four times the price to get marginal improvements over what is already just fine.

Helloooo, this is an OIL THREAD.  These are OPINIONS.  You have yours, I have mine.  Have you ever had oil TESTED to see what the difference between cheap oil and expensive oil is, before and after their service interval? 

Does it matter?  No, as a matter of fact, it makes no difference at all.

And the same could be said of the cost, to people who believe that better is better than "good enough".   A long time ago on another forum I coined a phrase: "Clean oil is better than dirty oil and dirty oil is better than no oil"  Same holds true for price.  Will your motor self destruct in 10,000 miles from using automobile engine oil from Checker?  Probably not.  Is there value in running 300V synthetic which has operating temperature 80 degrees higher and three times the anti-wear, anti-corrosion, and crud additive package in an air-cooled motorcycle in the desert (where I live)?  I happen to think so.  You're entitled to your own opinion.

Have a nice day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: