Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 03, 2024, 11:19:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Truckers Monster Rebuild  (Read 298612 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2008, 06:39:49 PM »

How will the shock compress since it's now below the swing arm pivot?

Also consider exhaust routing, and possible ground clearance issues (which there probably will be none, but still)

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
truckinduc

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2008, 07:18:37 PM »

the shock will compress from the front ala linkage. It only hangs down about a 1/4 inch more than stock. Im building a full exhaust, again, so i wont have any clearance issues.
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2008, 09:31:11 PM »

Just a note, I bottom my header from time to time, doesn't do much to a piece of steel pipe, but I'm sure a shock would complain more.

Also, I'm pretty sure all the heat from the pan and exhaust wouldn't be too great for the shock either.

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2008, 02:11:42 AM »

the shock will compress from the front ala linkage.

Ahh.  Interesting concept.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
truckinduc

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2008, 08:05:06 AM »

ya im gonna be real cautious about bottiming out the shock. Im also going to build a carbon fiber heat sheld to keep some radiant heat out of the shock. It cant be any worse than the 999. the rear header is all over that shock.
truckinduc

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2008, 07:58:23 PM »

these are the moving parts of the suspension. The swingarm on the left, with tabs welded on. The rocker plates and mount welded to the engine case. The lower rod. And the arm in the front. The arm is actually pretty complex in 2 dimensions. The shock will be on the other side of the lower rod. And the rear of the shock will be mounted to the engine case with more weld on tabs.

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2008, 02:20:52 AM »

You think the case can handle the stress that it will get through that tab?

Add gussets Grin

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2008, 04:04:30 PM »

You think the case can handle the stress that it will get through that tab?

Add gussets Grin

Please don't forget the Heat Affected Zone on the motor due to welding of tabs  Tongue

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2008, 06:48:47 PM »

Im not sure that will make a difference if things are braced correctly.  Plus, if he has a modern day TIG machine (mine's really old) he can pretty much eliminate the HAZ using controls on the machine.

Mine just welds, I can't manipulate the wave form or anything cool like that Sad

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »

Im not sure that will make a difference if things are braced correctly.  Plus, if he has a modern day TIG machine (mine's really old) he can pretty much eliminate the HAZ using controls on the machine.

Mine just welds, I can't manipulate the wave form or anything cool like that Sad

I'm just being difficult.  Smiley

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2008, 04:31:39 AM »

Grin

DucatiBastard

"Apollonia" '06 S2R 800

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2008, 11:17:42 AM »

alright, tank is from a 999? 

Give a man a beer, and he wastes an hour.
Teach a man to brew, and he wastes a lifetime.

2006 Ducati S2R 800, 2004 Honda Dream 50R, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 1940 BSA M20
ICON
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2008, 01:51:20 PM »

It's Friday and I was doing some reading here, enjoying myself, then-------------BANG!!! WOW, that pic of your knee!!! Ouch. 
truckinduc

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2008, 04:43:28 PM »

nope, not a 999 tank, guess again
Evil_Ductator

05 M1000S

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2008, 05:11:31 PM »

nope, not a 999 tank, guess again

I think it's from a newer style Supersport.

Huh?

And I'll add to that,  bacon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: