Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 11, 2024, 01:46:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bike won't start, fuel delivery problem?  (Read 1077 times)
mattb

« on: July 13, 2008, 02:42:44 PM »

Hi,

My 2002 S4 won't start.  Cranks fine, even will turn over a bit once in awhile.  At first I thought I was just out of gas, the bike had sat overnight and I thought it knew it was really low on fuel, but next day, it wouldn't start.  I put some gas in it and still won't go...  Also, during this, I noticed that with the tank propped up, the bottom hose that goes from the tank to the engine is weeping a bit of gas from where it meets the tank.  I'm not sure if the line is cracked -- I think this is the return (smaller of the two hoses that go up towards the engine)...  Would this cause problems starting?

thx

Matt
Hedgehog

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 02:57:11 PM »

I put some gas in it and still won't go...  Also, during this, I noticed that with the tank propped up, the bottom hose that goes from the tank to the engine is weeping a bit of gas from where it meets the tank.  I'm not sure if the line is cracked -

Leaky fuel hoses and fuel injection don't mix so well.
mattb

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 04:54:52 PM »

Leaky fuel hoses and fuel injection don't mix so well.

Grrrr -- it's actually not the hose, there is a crack around the base of the nipple that goes into the tank...

I just had the hinge on this tank welded and now it looks like I'm gonna have to have it welded up again ...  Should I just consider getting a newer plastic tank that won't have all of these issues?

m
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 07:55:06 PM »

Grrrr -- it's actually not the hose, there is a crack around the base of the nipple that goes into the tank...

I just had the hinge on this tank welded and now it looks like I'm gonna have to have it welded up again ...  Should I just consider getting a newer plastic tank that won't have all of these issues?

m

I wouldn't-those tanks aren't cheap, and you'll end up sinking more into it than you'd like.

If you're going to replace it, I'd go with carbon fiber.

I would just have it welded again.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 03:04:00 AM »

m
Did you coat the tank after welding?

you really should.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: