Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 02:34:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternatives to expensive Ducati parts  (Read 251246 times)
Phriday

« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2009, 10:05:10 AM »

Does anyone know of an aftermarket shift lever (the one for your foot) for the '09 M1100?  The OEM one is about $80, and if I can get an aftermarket one, I'd rather do that.  I've only had my bike a few months, and this is the first time I will have to take a wrench to it.  It would seem that things like shift & brake levers, hand levers, etc. would be fairly generic.  Am I wrong about that?  What's the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance,

Phil
RB

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2009, 11:58:20 AM »

Phil,
an aftermarket shifter will run you $70 about, and it will be GP shift. Rearsets are not common design on our bikes, so $80 for a shift lever is about right. I would straighten the shift lever before i bought a new one....if it's bent.
You may get more help on options to your dilemma if you post this question in Tech or Accessories and Mods.

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2009, 04:04:14 AM »

Does anyone know of an aftermarket shift lever (the one for your foot) for the '09 M1100?  The OEM one is about $80, and if I can get an aftermarket one, I'd rather do that.  I've only had my bike a few months, and this is the first time I will have to take a wrench to it.  It would seem that things like shift & brake levers, hand levers, etc. would be fairly generic.  Am I wrong about that?  What's the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

It's cast aluminum and it's very hard to bend properly. I bent mine ages ago and tried to bend it back -- broke right off.  I would lay money you will break it unless the bend is VERY VERY slight.

Generic?  Nope.  Not on any bike that I know of.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
YellowDuck
She knew I was no joke when she saw my

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2009, 11:30:40 AM »

Purolator Fuel Filter #F20005 will work on carbed Monsters waytogo
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »

Does anyone know of an aftermarket shift lever (the one for your foot) for the '09 M1100?  Phil

Is there another one I'm unaware of, for a different part of my body?   Huh?

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

froby

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2010, 09:32:42 AM »

Here is an alternative to the expensive tool from Ducati for removing the four-pronged nuts on the timing belt cam and crank pulleys.  The catch is it is just the blueprint and you have to find a metal shop who will cut it for you.  I think I paid under $40.  Or you have them cut it and weld it yourself for cheaper. 

This is the link to the PDF
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-n-YTyZhLoCOGU5YjA2NDItYmExNS00YmU3LThjOGYtMDIyNWQwNThjNDFm&hl=en

And this is the link to the DXF which is the universal CAD file that the shop will need in order to put the data into their laser cut machines. 
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-n-YTyZhLoCY2NiMGMzYzgtZDlkYy00ZjY5LTkzY2QtNjY3MGM2YmQzYjgw&hl=en

If you don’t have access to a shop that has laser cutting capabilities, PM me and I’ll have my shop fab you one up for a small mark up.  Say $60 including shipping. 

I’m giving away this design because Ducati tools are ridiculously expensive.  And the more people that can get this crucial tool for cheep, the more people will work on these bikes and the more knowledge will be out there for everyone.  PM with ideas for other tools I should possibly make. 

P.S.  To torque against, I put channel locks around an old belt.  I could make the actual tool for holding it but I didn’t think it was necessary.
grandpa nate
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2010, 05:44:58 AM »

um...which GSXR fork seals fit the S2R800
faolan01

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2010, 11:42:44 AM »

is there a less expensive alternative to the oil cooler lines for a 2006 S2R800? Seacoast told me it was something like $120 for one and $140 for the other
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2010, 11:53:24 AM »

is there a less expensive alternative to the oil cooler lines for a 2006 S2R800? Seacoast told me it was something like $120 for one and $140 for the other
You can buy them from fren tubo, but they're no cheaper.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

djrashonal

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »

Quick Disconnect fuel line fittings sold by Fast by Ferraci and Motowheels are sourced from Omega
http://www.omega.com/pptst/ftlc.html

i just bought mine directly from omega at half the price.

FT-LCD100-04 @2pcs
FT-LCD230-06 @2pcs

15 each, 8bucks shipping - 68 shipped to my door. everywhere else charges double
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:46:38 PM by djrashonal » Logged

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
S2R800 dark - searching for
Porsche Monkey
JuddDdd likes my

The DMFer formerly known as Ducaholic

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2010, 03:52:30 PM »

BTW headlight 
Glass Lens:        Bosch p/n   1305604904 is no longer available, and there is no replacement number. I contacted Bosch looking for a cross reference for a clear lens of the same dimensions, and they reported back with the following:

Lens # 1305604904 is obsolete and no longer available from Bosch. No update
 is offered on this lens/headlight. Bosch is not able to fulfill your request for a replacement unit.

Regards,
Bosch e-mail reply

I was able to cut a new lense out of a used jaguar headlight.  Worked great. 

if I had a vagina...I'd never leave the house

RB

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 05:03:52 AM »

I was able to cut a new lense out of a used jaguar headlight.  Worked great. 
And that Jaguar Headlight part number would be......?? and plastic i assume...??

Porsche Monkey
JuddDdd likes my

The DMFer formerly known as Ducaholic

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2010, 04:03:23 AM »

And that Jaguar Headlight part number would be......?? and plastic i assume...??

Yes its plastic and I have no idea on the part number.  Just borrowed an old headlight from our bodyshop and used it.  Doesn't absolutely have to be a jag headlight.
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=36575.0

if I had a vagina...I'd never leave the house

normalcyispasse

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2010, 03:48:11 PM »

On my S4R I busted a clutch lever.  When I went to replace it, the set screw was frozen into the threaded piston on the lever side.  I had to drill out the set screw to get the piston out, which was then ruined.  Searching for this part yielded the same result everywhere: "Common problem.  $150, 5-6 weeks from Italy."

I went to ACE Hardware and bought a 6mm Allen bolt with the same thread pitch.  I took this home and put it in my drill press and lathed it (with a bastard file) to the same size as the tapered piston.  34 cents and a year later and it still works perfectly.
ilya

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2010, 03:40:08 PM »

guys/gals, does anyone know a cheap replacement for the oil temperature censor fior GT1000? the one that provides temperature reading on the dash. it is $75 at the dealer... Huh?
many thanks in advance!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: