Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:20:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traveling w a Helmet  (Read 7463 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 02:23:22 PM »

3 years (~10k mi).  Street bikes all.  I've been reading and watching about dirt riding, but of course brain knowledge means only so much without physically doing it.

On the plus side, I'm relatively fit and can handle altitude (e.g. I climbed Mt. Rainier this past summer).

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 04:17:14 PM »

Looks like a fantabulous trip.  Enjoy!
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 04:30:49 PM »

Thanks, Carlos.  BTW, it's not a secret, I'm doing this:

http://www.freedombikerental.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=180&Itemid=233

4 days/3 nights on a Husq TE630.  If it's as awesome as it sounds, I may need to come back next year for the 9-day tour!
I said that cause a "good" helmet that costs $200 in the US might be around $400 there . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 08:20:09 PM »

3 years (~10k mi).  Street bikes all.  I've been reading and watching about dirt riding, but of course brain knowledge means only so much without physically doing it.

On the plus side, I'm relatively fit and can handle altitude (e.g. I climbed Mt. Rainier this past summer).

OK, fitness level shouldn't be an issue, but pace yourself.

I wouldn't pick a TE630 as a 'perfect for a newbie to learn how to ride dirt' bike, but they've not got many options.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 08:42:02 PM »

OK, fitness level shouldn't be an issue, but pace yourself.

I wouldn't pick a TE630 as a 'perfect for a newbie to learn how to ride dirt' bike, but they've not got many options.

Yeah, the only things available we the husq and the kawas---all else were booked.  I expect some bruises both to my body and my ego.

I said that cause a "good" helmet that costs $200 in the US might be around $400 there . . .

Good to know.  I was considering buying a helmet there so as to only have to carry one-way.  Obviously, at twice the price, that ain't gonna happen.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 09:52:17 PM »

Just go easy on the throttle, it can write checks that your dirt skill level can't cash.
A little bit of throttle helps the bike turn, a *lot*.
Look where you want to go; looking at that big rock or over the edge, not helpful.
Sit forward on the seat, particularly in corners.
When you put your leg out on the inside of a turn, stretch it forward toward the front wheel.
If your feet don't have impending business on the ground, keep them on the pegs.
Stubbing your toe on a rock at 40mph sucks. A lot. So does running over your foot.
That bike has more than double the suspension travel of a Monster, so it's going to feel weird.

There's folks here that have learned dirt after starting on the street, they'll likely have good advice.
I learned to ride on a dirt bike 40 years ago, so I'm a bit short of advice going that direction.

It looks like an awesome trip, enjoy!

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 04:26:39 AM »

What could go wrong? Grin

Have fun.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 09:05:36 AM »

Thanks, all.  Topic was drifting, so I started a new thread with newbie off-road questions:

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=69872.0

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 10:44:37 AM »

dont you live in NYC?

how tall are you?
whats your inseam?
how much can you squat?

Of all those on the list for your trip, id pick the DR200 as easiest to ride. The altitude thing wont matter much since you wont be needing that much power. ofcourse im bias towards the DR650, they dont call it the swiss army knife of motorcycling withou reason. but it is pretty heavy.

i have carried a helmet to travel before (the time my Ducatis motor blew, i flew with my helmet from Ohio to Colorado and Colorado to New York). it wasnt that bad if you have a elmet bag. it doenst fit under the seat though. :p
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:46:47 AM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: