Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:24:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dainese leather jackets  (Read 5143 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« on: January 04, 2015, 05:54:23 PM »

Seeking opinions on specific Dainese leather jackets:  What are you wearing and what do you like/dislike?  What do you recommend?

The backstory is that I'm replacing my Roland Sands Ronin with a Dainese leather jacket (TBD) because, while I love my RS, I bought Dainese pants this year and they (obviously) don't zip into the RS.

- My RS was perforated and had the perfect level of cooling for summer riding, so I'd like to stick with a perforated leather for my new jacket.  (This rules out the Tourage, which is stylish and on closeout currently, but doesn't have venting or perforation.)

- I do only one track day a year and if I were to ever get into it and do more, I'd get full leathers.  So no need for advanced racing technology (no hump, for example), just basic street protection.

- Some of their jackets have stretch panels, aluminum outer shoulder protection, and other features.  I'm curious if anyone really likes/dislikes these features.

That's all.  Thanks in advance for the input.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 06:31:04 PM »

I've got a standard (no-perf) Dainese leather jacket that I got ~ 10 years ago.
Still in reasonable shape.

Only beef is that all of the zipper pull tabs broke off.
The ones out in the free air stream get blown around constantly and eventually wear away.
Cuff zipp ones were covered by my glove gauntlet, but eventually failed.

I recently got one of their full textile jackets that has the zippered vents, that's fine for summer.
It's quite a bit more snug fitting, even though it's the same size as the leather jacket.
I got it as a dedicated summer jacket, so I use it without the liner, and with that the fit is good.

I'd like it if the 'pants attach' zipper panel was attached to the jacket shell rather than the lining.

And I'd like a more friendly material on the inside of the collar, the leather is OK, but the textile is annoying.

A good tailor should be able to put a matching zip on your RS.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 06:36:29 PM »

A good tailor should be able to put a matching zip on your RS.

Didn't consider this, but for some reason I am skeptical.  Not that a good tailor couldn't do it, but rather that either: 1) it'd fail when it counts, or 2) the jacket may not fit right afterwards because it would be pulled back over my shoulders due to the zipper connection.  But I will consider it as it would save me a few hundred $.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 02:36:57 AM »

I have a Tourage, a Ducati Meccanica and a Racing. The main fit difference, to me, is the stretch panels - those are GREAT. I often hear that the stretch panels flow air, but that's very little, so go for perforation if you want air flow.

Only beef is that all of the zipper pull tabs broke off.

I got a new 'puller' from my dealer and managed to slide the old tab-less one off, then slide the new one back in. Just had to cut a couple of teeth off of the top of the zipper.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Triple J
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:46:28 AM »

You can get a decent one-piece suit for around $500. Maybe worth considering to keep your street gear nice.

Otherwise...I had a zipper installed on a jacket so they would zip to a different brand of pants and it worked fine. I think it was a Vanson jacket to Technic pants, using the Vanson connections panels. I don't think you'd have to worry about it failing, but the fit thing is a valid concern if the zipper connections aren't in the right place. The Vanson connection panels helped alleviate this because they gave a little bit of tolerance in the zipper positioning.

Still...$500 for a one-piece suit will keep your street gear from getting all sweaty, and possibly scuffed, from a trackday.  Smiley
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 10:40:16 AM »

Still...$500 for a one-piece suit will keep your street gear from getting all sweaty, and possibly scuffed, from a trackday.  Smiley

Thanks, JJJ.  I borrow/rent a one-piece on track days, which ain't the best but it serves its purpose until I get my own track bike/move out of the C group/buy my own one-piece.

Sounds like the added zipper may be a viable solution.  I'm planning to head to Revzilla this weekend to try on pretty much everything from Dainese leather jackets to KLIM gortex shells to ADV helmets to off-road boots.  And given that payday is Friday I'm going to feel slightly flush which means this could be a VERY expensive trip.

Anyway, if no Dainese jacket jumps out at me this weekend, I'll probably go the added zipper route.  If it does, I'll likely have my RS for sale on here, along with a Dainese summer mesh, too.

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:20:53 AM »

1 pc is a good bit more comfy at the track too - FWIW

I've got a couple of their upper end sporting jackets and not a single issue to date. They fit (me) well - the stretch is quite nice. I'd like a little more low back ventilation, but otherwise very happy with the brand

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »

1 pc is a good bit more comfy at the track too - FWIW

I've got a couple of their upper end sporting jackets and not a single issue to date. They fit (me) well - the stretch is quite nice. I'd like a little more low back ventilation, but otherwise very happy with the brand

Which models?  Even if they don't make them, I can look up old pics/specs and get a sense.

The C2 looks intriguing (and is $150 off at some dealers), but I'm not sure if it's too race-y and technical.

Also, what is the opinion on colors?  I have an all-black jacket that looks great, but I wonder if having some variety of color or at least color accents might make me more visible to drivers.  Any opinions on this?

SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 08:49:19 PM »

A giant strobe light on your head will not make you more visible to drivers.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
1.21GW

bikeless

Re:
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 10:22:27 AM »

That's actually not a bad idea. I did like the look of Rossi's LED helmet he wore at Dubai last year.

Triple J
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 11:46:25 AM »

Depending on riding conditions, I have to disagree with the thought that gear doesn't make you more visible.

If talking about normal conditions, like during the day with no rain (or very light rain) and mostly dry roads with no spray, then sure. Wear whatever you want...nothing will really make a difference.

However, if you ride at night a lot, and/or in rainy conditions with heavy water spray from the roadway and overcast skies and/or misty conditions (i.e., a normal Seattle day), then I think brighter colors are very useful. No way I would wear black or gray. It just blends in too much, and the lights (particularly tail lights) on motos are too small. I have a high-viz yellow Aerostitch jacket that I think makes a big difference in bad conditions...due to the color as well as the reflective panel on the back. I've been told by quite a few people that they can see me a long ways away due to the jacket. I've also followed some bikers in dark gear in these conditions while in my truck, and I think if they knew how hard they are to see they would choose something brighter. This is another reason I prefer textile on the street.

That said...always ride assuming no one can see you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:48:08 AM by Triple J » Logged
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 07:56:20 AM »

Yeah, I'm kinda adopting your view, JJJ.  Sure, there are distracted drivers that will not see you regardless of gear, lights, or sounds.  But every little bit helps, and if adding some color makes me 0.1% more visible, that increases my chances of avoiding an accident that much.

I'll be looking at Dainese leathers that have some color variety when I shop this spring.

Spyvito

Kick the tires, light the fires

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »

Be wary of the aluminum external shoulders.  They scratch just by breathing on them.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 12:36:59 PM »

Thanks, and good to know.  I was considering the C2 jacket which is on closeout, and it has external should protection which I think are the aluminum ones.

That said, scratching isn't a big issue for me since looks aren't my main concern---if they were, I would just get an all black jacket.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: