Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 04, 2024, 04:19:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a performance exhaust that is not obnoxious?  (Read 2997 times)
metallimonster

« on: July 14, 2008, 10:29:19 AM »

I would like to get some extra power out of my 620 and I know a full exaust system and ecm can give me a good bit of extra power but from what I can tell they all make the exaust extremely loud.  Is there a system out there that I can get some extra power out of without pissing of my neighbors, other drivers and the world in general. 

I'll appologize in advance for not wanting loud ass pipes.  Sorry.

Jay

Wherever I May Roam, Where I Lay My Head Is Home
02 620 Dark- High Mount CF Arrows
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 12:07:42 PM »

Well performance and quiet are not usually used in the same sentence. That aside, you can get most of the performance systems with baffles. Slip-on systems are barely louder than stock but do not give as much performance as complete systems. Ya just gotta pick your poison and like it... As always, judicial use of the right hand is warranted when you are trying to "keep it down".

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
Hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:27:09 PM »

I would like to get some extra power out of my 620

The best way to get more power from a 620 is to trade it in on a 696 or something even larger.
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:27:29 PM »

Gonna have to disagree with hypurone on the volume of slip-ons. I had a pair of Arrow slip-ons on a 620 that, while not obnoxiously loud, weren't far from it.

That said, Quat D makes an ExBox for the 620. Its not bad at all with the baffles in. herm has one on his S2R1k with the baffles in it. His open clutch is louder.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:46:03 PM »

Gonna have to disagree with hypurone on the volume of slip-ons. I had a pair of Arrow slip-ons on a 620 that, while not obnoxiously loud, weren't far from it.
That said, Quat D makes an ExBox for the 620. Its not bad at all with the baffles in. herm has one on his S2R1k with the baffles in it. His open clutch is louder.

Did they have baffles? Most Arrow products do not... and I was trying NOT to cap on Arrow for their loudness (bleh) and was trying to reinterate that he would need to obtain anything with baffles to even get near the quiet side of things.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:23:09 AM by hypurone » Logged

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
teddy037.2
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »

Did they have baffles? Most Arrow products do not... and I was trying to cap on Arrow for their loudness (bleh) and was trying to reinterate that he would need to obtain anything with baffles to even get near the quiet side of things.

but if you look at non-baffle comparo, the remus slip ons are WAY louder than arrows...

OP- just look for a system that has removable baffles, and you'll be shiny.
VeryMetal

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »

My Forza stainless pipes aren't anywhere near what I would call obnoxious (although they give the bike a deeper sound that sometimes sets car alarms off), they are definitely better than the stock ones by a long way, check them out if you can.

2002 Ducati Monster 750ie Dark
2005 Monster S2R Dark
DrDesmo

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:13:35 PM »

Arrow exhaust (Ti) with baffles and you'll be ready to rock  waytogo

OR ... Staintunes with a removable baffle.  Very deep and mellow, I loved them on my VFR.

Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
gnostic203

Lost in Cyber Space

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »

Did they have baffles? Most Arrow products do not... and I was trying to cap on Arrow for their loudness (bleh) and was trying to reinterate that he would need to obtain anything with baffles to even get near the quiet side of things.

Not sure if this had been stated yet or not but the Titanium Arrows have baffles held in place with a c-clamp, the carbon fiber ones do not come with baffles.  The Arrow titanium pipes while definitely louder than stock are not horrible with the baffles in.

My Arrow Titanium pipes without the baffles still weren't as loud as my open clutch, that thing was the most obnoxiously loud sound eva.
metallimonster

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 04:11:44 PM »

The best way to get more power from a 620 is to trade it in on a 696 or something even larger.

Sorry, I might get a bigger bike but never will I get one of the so called "Monster 696".  If you asked me the new monster kills the soul of the classic monsters. 

Thanks for all the options guys.  I'll let you know what I decide.

Wherever I May Roam, Where I Lay My Head Is Home
02 620 Dark- High Mount CF Arrows
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 04:21:43 PM »

What year is your 620?

One of the best things to do for a 620 is to swap out the cylinders/pistons for those from a 750. The 620 cams on 750 cylinders will actually make more power than a stock 750.

If your bike is carbed, it'll need to be rejetted. If its FI, a PCIII might be able to give it enough juice.

Otherwise, the 620 benefits the most from suspension mods.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 04:32:11 PM »

i have aluminum Leo Vince slipons and I'm very happy with them.  Deeper, but not obnoxious at all.  Loud enough that my neighbors know I'm home, but no one has complained yet.

Andy

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
teddy037.2
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 04:50:04 PM »

Not sure if this had been stated yet or not but the Titanium Arrows have baffles held in place with a c-clamp, the carbon fiber ones do not come with baffles.  The Arrow titanium pipes while definitely louder than stock are not horrible with the baffles in.

My Arrow Titanium pipes without the baffles still weren't as loud as my open clutch, that thing was the most obnoxiously loud sound eva.

neither of my arrow high mount Tis came w/any baffles...
venomousr1993

Snapping Like a Squirrel

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 06:45:34 PM »

I should have my ExBox midpipes and Fresco Titanium slip on tomorrow.  I'll try to post up a sound clip...even though it is on a S4R

mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 07:50:24 PM »

The vast majority of aftermarket silencers sold these days come with baffles (also called decibel killers) which, when installed, actually make for a decent yet not obnoxious sound.  The problem is, most people don't install them - or worse - they remove them if they've been installed.  I just had the full Termi kit installed by my local dealer on my '08 S4RS Tricolore, and when I picked it up, sure enough, the baffles were not installed.  The bike was very loud, to say the least.  While I could tolerate it for short rides, I knew it would be terrible (for me) on long trips, and certainly a killer for my 85 year old neighbors.  I went back and asked about the baffles, and sure enough they were back in the service department in the box the exhaust came in.  I took them home and installed them and did back-to-back test rides, and the bike definitely had better low-end power with the baffles installed.  Top-end power doesn't seem to be affected, though with the amount of power this thing puts out it would be hard to tell.  The best thing is that it sounds great.  Nice growl without being overly obnoxious.  Everybody has complimented its looks and sound, even my neighbors.  I've got Leo Vince slip-ons on my Multistrada with the same results.  Baffles in, sounds great, runs great, looks great.  Done deal.

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: