Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 10:29:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S2R Headlight for the not so smart and short attention span  (Read 2508 times)
Kabulpostie

« on: March 26, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »

Hey there, read the whole headlight section and honestly am pretty confused. In order to get a functional headlight that allows me to safely ride at more than 30 MPH do I have to spend $3-400 on a moto wheels replacement. I want the stock look as much as possible for my S2R1000. Is there a definitive answer for a useful stock looking replacement headlight? I put a better bulb in and really didn't notice a difference. Didn't realize how bad it was until I rode with friends.

Thanks for any help,
Cameron
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 03:37:47 PM »

Much much better  waytogo

It's the reflector that does it.

The diameter is about 10mm smaller, not really noticeable - maybe ask for, buy or make spacers to avoid bending the mounting brackets.

http://www.desmoworld.com/shop/ducati-monster/s2r-s4r-s4rs/elektrik/scheinwerfer/scheinwerfer-klarglas-monster.html

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:03:21 PM »

I am not a fan at all of that Motowheels headlight. Love the concept of the billet mounting bracket on the lower triple, but call or email Matt and ask if you can buy that piece solo, and shop around for a bottom mounted 7" HL on your own. The "Corse Dynamics" HL is actually a crappy cheapo dime a dozen "Drag Specialties" headlight aimed at the Harley crowd. Yeah maybe it works just fine but it looks like crap. A lot of other ppl seem to like it tho I guess.

Unfortunately I really don't think there is a "definitive" answer to your query tho. The Desmoworld light Lars posted lacks the charm of the original bucket imo. I love the look of the classic Monster light. That's why I spent the "3-$400" to keep the bucket and got the parts to install the Truck-Lite LED. Ended up costing me $280 by buying only the adapter ring from MW and the TL elsewhere. Still not inexpensive by any means tho.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:20:04 PM »

This thread might be helpful:
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=69572.0
but first make sure your headlight is aimed properly.
MotoPsycho
General Nuisance and a

My Dream, my rules !

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:36:14 PM »

BryanS from HoosierHooligans had the bulb that you have to have the ballast and ignitor for in the stock bucket and that SOB was bright. Like make shadows in the daytime bright. Don't remember what kind it was though.

Edgar: '99 M750 - 2009 Indy Ducati Rat Bike Award Winner
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:46:23 AM »

The honest answer to OP’s question.
No. You don’t have to spend $3-400 to have functional head light on your S2R.

First, read the link Howie posted. (I started that thread. I should get back to that thread and continue writing ...)

Next, check your “better bulb”. What bulb is it? PIAA ? Silverster? If your bulb is any one of those with blue filter (coating) on the glass, they are NOT better bulb. They are, to be brutally honest, junk.

Your best option is “relay / harness kit  + high wattage bulb”. Can be done under $100. Totally stock looking.
I’ll take more photos and video and will post on that thread.
But, even with those crappy photos and videos I made (that are currently showed in the thread) , you should be able to see those stock Bosh unit is actually pretty good unit. It’s not that those headlights are poorly designed. It’s the stock wiring that cause voltage drop therefore, causing poor performance of the stock headlight.
Kabulpostie

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 03:46:43 PM »

Great information, thanks a lot. Just ordered a harness from Eastern beaver!
brad black

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »

wonder if this would fit?  it's still $300 - 400.

Brad The Bike Boy

http://www.bikeboy.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: