Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:37:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 796 suspension upgrade  (Read 3827 times)
modspec

« on: March 31, 2015, 09:46:03 PM »

Hi I am looking into improving the suspension for my 2012 monster 796. My main riding is hitting the twisties and try to avoid city driving. I've done quite a bit of research on this topic. The options are (in cost order) 1.upgrade springs / oil weight 2. GSXR forks swap 3. SBK forks swap 4.Cartridge kit 5.aftermarket forks

With the Euro getting weaker, I am leaning towards the Andreani cartridge kit. this means less machine work as it is not available at where I live. My concerns is that they don't make a kit for monster 796. my research tells me that my 2012 monster 796 front forks are made by Marozocchi and should be the same fork used in the Monster 696. can anyone confirm?

Does anyone here who has done the Andreani cartridge upgrade still recommend it and know the exact part I need to order?

Lastly, how is the standard rear suspension that comes with the bike? (think they are made by sachs) the kit I saw offers the Ohlins 46 DR as a replacement. how much improvement is this over the standard sachs? in another word, is it worth paying extra 400 euros for the rear shocks?

Thanks in advance,
Eddy
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 04:13:46 PM »

You don't say what you weigh. Might help.

The fork on the 796 isn't bad in the opinion of many. An oil change might help. With a better shock you may notice the fork less.  Cool

The stock Sachs definitely needs help. Mine was replaced with Ohlins DU-737 prior to delivery after riding the demo.  Roll Eyes It's not top-of-the-line Ohlins but a big improvement. Order it with a spring for your weight and have the bike set up by an Ohlins tech. After setting the sag, mine only required backing off the damping one click.

Some real suspension gurus live here and may have knowledge of those cartridges.

2011 796 ABS "Pantah" - Rizoma Bar, 14T, Tech Spec, Ohlins DU-737, Evaps removed, Sargent Seat, Pantah skins
Moronic

07 S4Rs

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:58:14 PM »

Thread here (on this forum) should answer your cartridge question:

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=66649.0

Unfortunately the answer is that the 796 is different.

Andreani seems to offer an installation service at this link, but at $1150 euros it is not cheap.

Ohlins dealer Fast Bike Industries in Hendersonville NC says it handles Andreani stuff in the US. Maybe they can help if you want to go this way.

There is a brief but very complimentary comment about half way down this page at ducati.ms from a member who fitted an Andreani fork kit to his Sport Classic.

On the shock, I am not sure what you mean by an Ohlins 46 DR but the Andreani site offers an Ohlins S46HR1C1 which is a proper remote-reservoir shock that will either work beautifully out of the box or can be revalved until it does.

Another good option might be to contact Rick at Cogent Dynamics, as he is well experienced with Ducatis and could have some advice about getting a good result without spending the earth.

There you go ... a couple of helpful posts for a newbie with a post count of one.  Smiley  I hope you have some success - and stop in here and let us know how the search goes.

modspec

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »

Happy Easter, thanks for the reply!

I am a 5"11 180 pounds ride.  Which oil weight and springs would you recommend? And do you think its sufficient for hitting twisties and 0 track time?

Thanks Moronic, i will checkout fast bike industries as well as congent dynamics.
modspec

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:53:36 PM »

Thanks Curmudgeon, so did you go with springs + oil and replace the shock with ohlins ones? Hows your riding handling like now? Tbh i debating if i need to go all out, at the end of the day, i am pure street riding and very unlikely to change the settings once its been configured.

Problem i have here is that there arent many if any bike suspension shop here, so I need to base everything by research and trial and error. Cheers mate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: