Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 28, 2024, 12:28:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: picked up a totaled 900ss/sp. what would you do?  (Read 2825 times)
xcaptainxbloodx

« on: April 04, 2015, 02:10:41 PM »

I just picked up a 1996 900ss/sp with 12000 miles and all services up to date.  it was totalled when a shipping company had a jetski slip and crack a fairing (taking out a turn signal and scratching the frame was, I guess, enough)

point is, the bike is functionally awesome. the LH long fairing is broken at the turn signal. Ive replaced the turn signal, its just ugly.

Its totally safe and reasonable to ride it as is.

resto+ would mean replacing the fairing with a used one off Ebay (~250$) and then upgrading things like the master cylinders and eventually do a 944 with flatslides, but ultimately make it look like a stock SP. when a cheap frame with a clean title came available I would swap everything over.

TTF1 replica would mean selling off all the bodywork, lights and seat, picking up fiberglass from Airtech, running a set of Marchal lamps and having a custom AL tank made (eventually doing FCRs and 944 as well).   maybe even going as far as making a new swingarm.

Anyway, I think I know what I wanna do. Im just curious what you lot would do.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 02:20:49 PM »

I voted ride it as is, but in reality I'd probably replace the fairing, and maybe perk up the motor and .

The clean title means nothing to me so I'd never replace the frame.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 02:22:26 PM »

Supersports of that era are no longer made. They are beautiful.
I reckon restore with enhancements.

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »

One day I hope to restore one to Superlight trim with a "maximum effort " short manifold hi comp motor. A modern classic.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 07:37:28 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »

I would say, ride as is, registering it first if needed and getting all "plus" parts for the "restoration" ready

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 05:53:39 PM »

I've always wanted a naked SS, so that's what I'd do. If I was feeling stupid I'd set it up like a street tracker with taller bars, Alpina wheels, chunky tires and FCR's. But if it's as nice as it sounds, TTF1 replica is a cool idea. I personally really love the CR/half fairings myself, show off that beautiful motor. If it doesn't have the carb heaters, Valtermotousa on eBay has a few NOS setups for those carbs.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
The ModFather
Duck Off

Monster Magnet

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 06:23:07 PM »

Walt Siegl Leggero style rebuild

2005 S2R 800 Analog Motorcycles Custom Build
2007 Sport Classic 1000S
2008 848 Track Bike
2015 Diavel Dark - Sold
2005 Monster 620 Dark - Sold
Raux

Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:55:03 AM »

Doublecheck welds around headtube.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 07:37:03 AM »

PIMP THAT MUBBAFUBBA

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:17:47 AM »

PIMP THAT MUBBAFUBBA

vomit

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:38:04 AM »

I've always wanted a naked SS, so that's what I'd do. If I was feeling stupid I'd set it up like a street tracker with taller bars, Alpina wheels, chunky tires and FCR's. But if it's as nice as it sounds, TTF1 replica is a cool idea. I personally really love the CR/half fairings myself, show off that beautiful motor. If it doesn't have the carb heaters, Valtermotousa on eBay has a few NOS setups for those carbs.

I don't like those oil jacket style carb heaters. Are the electric version still available? The electric heaters have much finer plumbing than all the extra oil lines. I found the oil jacket style heater didn't work that well when I had one on my old Monster back in the day. It was a warranty fitting here. Triumph still used electric float bowl warmers on their recent carbed bikes.

2015 Scrambler 800
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 09:40:14 AM »

I never found the bowl heaters to really accomplish much...oil or electric.

Anyone that had them fitted still had issues.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 09:48:24 AM »

Sounds like the electric ones needed a bigger element inside.

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 10:10:25 AM »

I never found the bowl heaters to really accomplish much...oil or electric.

Anyone that had them fitted still had issues.

Experience freezing once.  At some point in the bike's life I got used bodies without heaters.  Never experienced freezing.  They might help, but not much.  I think they are about 3 watts.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »

I dimly remember all this in another thread way back. 3 watts aint gonna do much. Can the system be boosted? I believe the freezing got worse with an open airbox on my first Monster. I might start another thread on this due to my insomnia. Grin

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: