Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 09:35:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riding to Patagonia  (Read 121599 times)
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #390 on: July 07, 2017, 04:40:57 PM »

I was just thinking that ....

What camera did you have?
it was a Ricoh no zoom camera . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #391 on: July 07, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »

Do we Paypal Carlos and he buys and sends the camera as he's closest?

2015 Scrambler 800
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #392 on: July 07, 2017, 05:06:38 PM »

Do we Paypal Carlos and he buys and sends the camera as he's closest?
Sadly, where he is, import duties would be as much as the camera itself . . . As does most of South America . . . Also, he's without a phone that was his secondary camera . . .

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #393 on: July 07, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »

There's more than one way to solve this problem.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #394 on: July 07, 2017, 05:39:28 PM »

Carlos rides down there and gives him the camera Cheesy

2015 Scrambler 800
eric

« Reply #395 on: July 07, 2017, 07:58:34 PM »

I haven't been on this forum for over a year... honestly had forgotten about it for a bit. Was in the middle of planning a trip to Patagonia with the wife (the airplane/car/bus way) and feeling wistful that it was only half of the goal I set for myself five years ago--to one day get from here to there on two wheels--when I remembered the forum. Popped back in and what do I see at the top? This thread! Haven't read through all 27 pages so forgive my ignorance but, GW did you do it?!?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:10:43 PM by eric » Logged

Los Angeles to the Arctic Ocean, 10,000 mile solo trip on an S2R800:
thesunhaswings.blogspot.com
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #396 on: July 07, 2017, 09:01:28 PM »

To continue documentation of 1.21GW's incredible journey those of us who chip in could cover duty too. 
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #397 on: July 07, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »

Yeah! Cool

2015 Scrambler 800
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #398 on: July 07, 2017, 10:53:47 PM »

Perhaps it would be better if 1.21GW purchased a camera locally?

Wouldn't money get to him quicker and more reliably than a package?

Perhaps here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iquique

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #399 on: July 08, 2017, 12:10:02 AM »

Yeah! Cool

Grin

2015 Scrambler 800
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #400 on: July 08, 2017, 02:50:37 AM »

Perhaps it would be better if 1.21GW purchased a camera locally?

Wouldn't money get to him quicker and more reliably than a package?

Perhaps here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iquique

Even better!
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #401 on: July 08, 2017, 05:52:11 AM »

Hey all, thanks for the support.  Really, you guys are great!

Yeah, it's disappointing. Really stupid move on my part, but not worth recounting.

I'm going to be passing through a pair of cities in northern Argentina in a week or so will check out electronic stores there. If nothing works or they're too expensive, I'll buy some online in the US and have family ship it to be.

So I'll eventually get something, just not sure when.  Anyway, the point is there'll be a gap is photos here. I don't want to leave a captive audience. Wink
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:41:43 PM by 1.21GW » Logged

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #402 on: July 09, 2017, 05:44:20 PM »

I haven't been on this forum for over a year... honestly had forgotten about it for a bit. Was in the middle of planning a trip to Patagonia with the wife (the airplane/car/bus way) and feeling wistful that it was only half of the goal I set for myself five years ago--to one day get from here to there on two wheels--when I remembered the forum. Popped back in and what do I see at the top? This thread! Haven't read through all 27 pages so forgive my ignorance but, GW did you do it?!?

Hey Eric, good to hear from you.  If I recall, you're SR2 trip to Alaska was one of the first inspirations I had for ADVing and, ultimately, this trip.  I couldn't imagine a monster on some of these roads, though. Grin

To answer your question, No, not yet.  In Tupiza, Bolivia right now (near where Butch and Sundance met there end!) and crossing into Patagonia tomorrow.  Have to wait out the winter so won't be getting to Patagonia until probably November.  But I'm still alive, the bike is still running (recently refurb'd starter!), and all is well.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:47:23 PM by 1.21GW » Logged

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #403 on: July 14, 2017, 06:23:37 AM »

Ok, playing catchup with remaining pics:

Where was I?  Oh, Huacachina and Nasca. So from there I rode back across the country through the canyons and into the altiplano, my fourth such time cutting through canyons.  Basically in Peru, going North/South, you can ride flat desert wastelands along the coast or curvy mountainside roads along the Andes.  But to go East/West, you ride up along some kind of canyon or riverside path that runs from the Andes to the sea.  The thing about the altiplano is that: 1) it's cold at 4000m+ above sea level; 2) it's generally flat and wide open; 3) it's largely unpopulated; and 4) llamas and alpaca are everywhere.  Vicunyas too, but they only travel in small groups and are very skittish and camera shy.  Llamas, the biggest of the three, don't give a shit about you or your goddamn bike.  I had more than one John Wayne-style standoff with a llama laying claim to the middle of the highway. 

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #404 on: July 14, 2017, 07:14:43 AM »

At least you didn't have to fight an Alpaca Cheesy

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: