Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 09:35:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riding to Patagonia  (Read 121658 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #465 on: October 18, 2017, 10:59:52 AM »

So after Buenos Aires I rode across central Argentina to Mendoza, a route that consists of flat marshlands.  On the plus side there were lots of birds: herons, storks, hawks, ducks, doves.  On the downside, lots of insects.  It was basically two days of uninspiring view and wiping the guts of some bicho off my shield every minute or so:

After two nights in Mendoza I headed to the border but was stopped in the last town in Argentina, Uspallata, because a recent storm dumped a meter of snow in the mountains.  After a full two days of shut down the border reopened to two days worth of waiting crowds.  Below is the border office in its beautiful mountain setting: 3000m above sea level and a few miles from Aconcagua, the highest peak (6960m) in the world outside of Asia.  The second foto is looking behind us and though you can't see it, the line of vehicles goes even farther than is visible in the picture.  Each one of those cars needs to do the paperwork and have vehicle inspections to enter Chile.  The moto allowed us to skip some, but not all of them.  Long day.

But it wasn't all bad.  While camping and waiting for the border to open I met a Chilean couple on a new Triumph Tiger.  After our shared suffering in crossing the border they invited me to stay with them in Santiago a few days.  Good people.

And here's your feral narrator upon reaching his 14th (and final) country on this trip:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:44:09 AM by 1.21GW » Logged

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #466 on: October 18, 2017, 01:35:26 PM »

Is the answer six?  I'm guessing six.

Fired it up and no audible problems so I think I'm in the clear.  waytogo
No...I think there's 6 in my bike. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Mhanis

« Reply #467 on: October 19, 2017, 10:50:42 AM »

I have to say that after keeping up with all of this it is cool to see a picture of YOU!

I am quite disappointed however that you don't look anything like your avatar.  boo

Continued fun and safety to you!!

Mark

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #468 on: October 19, 2017, 11:24:01 AM »

I crossed over to Mendoza a few times from Santiago. My wife had altitude sickness during one of those crossings. That was no fun.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #469 on: October 19, 2017, 11:30:07 AM »

I have to say that after keeping up with all of this it is cool to see a picture of YOU!

I am quite disappointed however that you don't look anything like your avatar.  boo

Mark

While Jim Carey made his mark via humour, his little known brother was in fact, a rugged adventurer.
 Have any trouble?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:35:13 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #470 on: October 19, 2017, 05:28:04 PM »

I am quite disappointed however that you don't look anything like your avatar.  boo

Mark
I don't look like my avatar either, unless I am hungry, then that is me

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #471 on: October 19, 2017, 06:08:10 PM »

I am quite disappointed however that you don't look anything like your avatar.  boo

Mark

I'm one simple shave and a Tiger's hat away.

I crossed over to Mendoza a few times from Santiago. My wife had altitude sickness during one of those crossings. That was no fun.

Mate de coca.

While Jim Carey made his mark via humour, his little known brother was in fact, a rugged adventurer.
 Have any trouble?

Nothing a Carey brother can't handle.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:11:20 PM by 1.21GW » Logged

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #472 on: October 20, 2017, 04:36:58 AM »

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Do you have any idea how many Ducati half rings are floating around in cases worldwide? Grin

100% agree. Chances are if there is a washer in there it will end up stuck to a drain plug magnet (it has that, right?). There's sure to be a screen on the oil pump pickup that would keep anything that large out of the pump. I think you'll be fine.

Great pics!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:41:02 AM by Monsterlover » Logged

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #473 on: November 06, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »

Pretty sure no washer, so I lucked out.  But having a bit of trouble starting so I'm thinking maybe I tightened the intake valve a bit too much.  Will check out in the coming week.

In the mean time, lots of great sunsets here on the coast.  Reminds me a lot of NorCal.

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #474 on: November 06, 2017, 05:21:22 PM »

you on Chile?

Carlos
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #475 on: November 07, 2017, 04:03:45 AM »

Si. Punto de Lobos. About 2-3 hrs south of Santiago.

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #476 on: November 07, 2017, 05:26:12 AM »

Si. Punto de Lobos. About 2-3 hrs south of Santiago.
Very nice loco . . . Enjoy the seafood

Carlos
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #477 on: November 18, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »

Quick update:

On the road again today for the first time in almost a month.  Just left the coast of Chile where I spent four weeks doing a Workaway (google it) with a couple of hippies.  I hope to write more on it later when I have the time to give it its due.  But the short version is that I helped him build stuff around their property help with construction at a house made of two containers that the guy is building for his mother.  During my stay I had my very own little cool dome hut to call home.

One project was to build a vegetable garden.  We used young eucalyptus trees from the property for the structure and doors.  Lots of digging to build that retaining wall.  I hate digging.

We also finished enclosing a deck he built on the side of his mom's house.  We did the left half wall, which doesn't match the right at all.  That's the thing when you freestyle construction and are a little scatterbrained: you change plans along the way and improvise a lot.  We did a lot of improvising.  That door is from Indonesia and was so old and warped that to make it fit we have a lot of trapezoidal and triangular pieces.  I'd say a good 90% of our methods would not be OSHA approved.  I've never seen someone use a circular saw in so many many ways...

GK

« Reply #478 on: November 18, 2017, 10:59:03 PM »

Great stuff!

Look forward to reading more about it! 👍🏻👍🏻

2001 Ducati  Monster 900S ie
JE high comp pistons, bit of porting, open airbox with DP filter, PC3 with custom map, CCW matched injectors, Termignoni cf slip ons, 14:39 gearing.

Gone but not forgotten!
Honda VFR800i, Honda CBR600F3, Honda CBX750, Norton Commando 750S, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki Z250, Kawasaki KX80, Honda XL250, Suzuki TC100.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #479 on: November 19, 2017, 12:40:50 AM »

Googled Workaway. Cool! waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: