Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 12:02:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Race School Report: Cornerspeed Level 1 on VIR Full Course 14 July 2008  (Read 9143 times)
Stillie
Daddy?

PIITB

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 08:55:23 AM »

Now I just need to get a new foot peg and rear brake lever and I'll be good to go.  [moto]

How do you know that hasn't been ordered already?  Grin

-Stefan
US Army 96-03
CCS# 248 Am
Macabre Motorsports
2009 Sponsors and Supporters:
Kat's Truck Parts LLC | RnR Cycles | Scorpion EXO | Woodcraft | Vortex Racing | Sidi Boots | Lockhart-Phillips
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 08:57:31 AM »

waytogo waytogo waytogo

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 03:12:07 PM »

Now there's a keeper! Wink

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 04:07:19 AM »

Hi Emily!  Donna here.  I'm sorry that you're a  bit sore, but glad to hear that you want to get back out there!  Good for you.   Yes, I think I  need another try, maybe after practicing my turns/leans.   I'm certainly not ready for the Dragon - yet!   Dave and I ride up to Northern VA to see my parents; we'll have to get together for a ride and dinner!  Bye! 

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
Ducatista

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 05:31:04 AM »

we'll have to get together for a ride and dinner!

We'll definitely have to do that.  I think it's great you're going to give it another shot.  The Cornerspeed track days are great and much better than anything else you'll find at VIR other than the MAD days, which are run by Cornerspeed, too.  If you two wanted to do those days, sign up fast, since those spots sell out months in advance.  Keep the rubber side down.  [moto]

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

Grio

Erzulie

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 08:02:37 AM »

My experiences with crashing/ not crashing:

Scenario 1:  Crash in Italy.  Let’s just say it was a rough day.  I was overly fatigued and mentally gave up.  It was as simple as that.  I told myself I was going to crash, and sure enough I did...but, even back then I realized I had some latitude to manage the situation.  I picked out a nice soft place to pitch the bike and rode it all the way into some brambles...until I hit a hidden ditch.  I don’t recall being thrown form the bike.  It happened all too suddenly.  I do remember seeing beautiful blue sky with my boots in the frame above me and thinking “oh my...this can’t last”.  I had chosen well; however, and my pile driver landing was soft enough to leave me sore but unhurt.

Lesson learned:  I gave up and made myself crash...but I’ve got to forgive myself for working with the tools I had to manage the situation and minimized damage.

Scenario 2:  Last June 26th at Sear Point raceway.  I played hooky from work and went solo to the track for my first time. The organizer was running 2 groups/half hour sessions.  I wasn’t a newbie, but I certainly did not have the skill and experience I have now.  It was at the end of the second session.  I decided to get off track.  I had my hand up to signal my exit and was headed toward the hot pit lane.  I heard and then saw that a group of about 4-5 riders was about to overtake me, but they were attempting to split me half on the outside some on the inside.  Then “Boom!”  close up of asphalt just beyond my face shield.  I was at a complete stop, slammed down hard on my side and gasping for breath.  I thought “why did that happen?”.  Then as I got up I saw the other bike on top of mine and a light bulb went on. 

Lesson learned:  Not a lot you can do when someone takes you out.  But it did get me tuned in to “profiling” and hunches.  If you don’t like the way someone rides, stay away from them!  Do not be apologetic or mousy in your actions or positioning.  If you are using a line – USE IT – no matter what your speed.  Let the other riders know through your body language and demeanor that you are committed to the actions you are performing on the track.  You have as much right to ride (a line/ a good bike/ etc.) as anyone else out there.  All those other sods can f*ck off!

Scenario 3: 
You may remember me posting something about this. It was the first time out on my new track bike.  I tippy-toed around the track with my new rig and new tires.  I get to the back straight and open the bike up.  At the end of the straight there is a high speed corner, turn 1, (A groupers take this at about 120-140 mph).  I initiate a tip in and all hell breaks loose.  I am positioned off the bike for the corner when the rear alternates between violent fish tale shaking and crazy sliding.  I think, “I but the rear tire on wrong – OMG!  What did I do?!?!?!”, after all, I was brand new to the bike and I just changed out the tires.  Nevertheless, I also thought: ”I AM NOT DROPPING THIS BIKE”  I literally looked at my throttle hand and forced myself to keep it open till the ride stabilized.  When I got the bike off line, I put my foot down to discover it was covered in oil.  “What the?!?!”  kick stand down and take a look to see that the entire bike, save for the front forks, looked like it had been in a dunk tank of oil.  Two witnesses say they saw the dump all it’s oil and then watched me enter the turn.  They said there were some ‘hail Mary’s’ and premature signaling for an ambulance, and complete and utter disbelief when I got the bike stopped trackside.

Lesson learned:  When things are FUBAR, attitude and belief goes a long way.  I hope the voice in my head keeps saying “I am not crashing this bike”

There is a scenario 4: but I’ve probably over stayed my welcome as it is.  All in all, as I get more experienced, I find that when things go wrong, the “oh shit” just isn’t there.  If you can keep the panic at bay, you will do well for yourself.  But I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know.

You’ll have some heebie-jeebies for a while.  It’s normal.  They fade a lot more quickly when you are not in pain, so heal up well and forgive yourself of any you may be beating yourself up about.

Don’t know about leaving “pink trails” on the track though  Wink

Little Biscuits!
m0t0g0th

.:GoneFeral:.

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »

Yeow, just got to read this fully.
Sorry for your down and pain, hope you're back to 100% quickly.
Human tumble-top, might be fun if only it didn't hurt.   Cry
You have my Envy, though, you do it all.  Have fun again, soon.  Smiley

A red traffic light means:
  • Incoming missiles
  • Stop
  • You win! Speed through the intersection to claim your reward!
Shortie
Do not underestimate the power of stupid.

No longer hangin_biposto! :D

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 12:49:45 PM »

Em,

I'm really glad to hear your mash-up didn't hurt you too badly. I wish you a speedy recovery!

I thoroughly enjoy reading your write ups; your drive and enthusiasm are awesome. To a newbie such as myself, your stories are very inspiring and really reinforce that you just have to get back in the saddle and work at it, no matter how frustrating or seemingly impossible it may seem/feel sometimes. The fact that you got right back into it immediately after eating shit is admirable - you're a tough cookie!

Oh, and if cloning ever becomes an option can I have my own Stillie? Pretty please? PLEASE!?  Wink Hang onto that one for dear life woman! It sounds like you have yourself one honorable, loveable, awesome guy.

Street - 1991 GSF 400 Bandit
Dirt - 1972 Chaparral ST80

Welcome to cats  Cool

So cute and small.

Such terrible things come out of them  Lips Sealed

www.pbase.com/mcharest
Ducatista

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 01:40:30 PM »

Oh, and if cloning ever becomes an option can I have my own Stillie? Pretty please? PLEASE!?  Wink Hang onto that one for dear life woman! It sounds like you have yourself one honorable, loveable, awesome guy.

laughingdp  I can't complain.  One of our longest arguments is who is the luckier one.  We've never been able to agree on that one.  I let him think he's the lucky one just so I can be the scammer.

Stillie
Daddy?

PIITB

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 01:40:55 PM »

laughingdp It appears that I'm much like a Monster. I'm carving out my own niche in the marketplace.

-Stefan
US Army 96-03
CCS# 248 Am
Macabre Motorsports
Kat's Truck Parts LLC | RnR Cycles | Scorpion EXO | Woodcraft | Vortex Racing | Sidi Boots | Lockhart-Phillips
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 03:20:21 PM »

to those of you who think they're any less sappy and sweet in person, you're wrong.

blech.

Grin

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 07:43:22 PM »

to those of you who think they're any less sappy and sweet in person, you're wrong.

blech.

Grin

laughingdp laughingdp

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
NuTTs
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 02:20:42 AM »

OMG!!! I'm so happy you're ok. Forget the bike ( believe me, I know it's hard ) and just make sure you recover ok. Don't worry about losing confidence, it does and will come back to you. It's awesome that you went back onto the race track, that shows that you aren't ready to give up biking or really scared.

I had a nasty crash 5th April 2007 in Jarama (Madrid, Spain) and hadn't been back until 3rd August this year.. worst thing is that the race school I work for on weekends had students that I was to take around and show the racing lines/basics to. I went out for 5 laps to warm up before taking new and nervous students on the track.

It was damn hard, especially when I went past where I'd crashed.. I remembered how I was tossed around like a rag doll and the distance I slid on the asphalt and gravel and how my bike flew and twisted in the air.

You know what, after lap 4 I was running not too far off my normal pace and after a few sessions I was back to normal.

It may seem that your confidence is gone but, it will come back. Have faith!

Kurt
Stillie
Daddy?

PIITB

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 07:59:59 AM »

blech.

Grin

laughingdp

-Stefan
US Army 96-03
CCS# 248 Am
Macabre Motorsports
lauramonster
pissin' on this thread with your

Ride it like you stole it.........

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 09:08:15 AM »

Em- give us a holler if you're coming to NJMP.  There's a bunch of us there at different dates. 
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11

Frickin' snow!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: