Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 04, 2024, 08:14:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M900 won't start  (Read 2312 times)
ducfun

« on: July 15, 2008, 04:00:15 PM »

So When I walked out to my bike yesterday, it wouldn't start. I have not checked the voltage on the battery yet, but it seems fine. I have lights, signals, horn. When I press the start button...nothin'! Not a sound. I found another thread with the search tool that tells how to check a few things http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=5238.0 I'll look into this when I have time (maybe this weekend) but I figured I'd still get you thoughts.
ducfun

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »

oh, because of this post http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=6763.0 I thought i'd add that the bike sits in a car port and it rained Sunday night
Fresh Pants

Moof

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:44:51 PM »

One thing to check (been posted on the old board, not sure if it's here) is the bundle of wires that wrap around the head tube. The bundle that contains the kill switch/starter wires get over stressed and can cause similar issues on certain model 900's. I had a similar problem a few years ago, and cut open the wire wrap and found my kill switch had been severed cleanly from being stressed around the head tube.

Good luck!

waytogo

Bwooooooahhh
Braaaaaaaappp
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »

First step is to charge and load test the battery.  It takes a lot more current to crank an engine than it does to light a bulb or toot a horn.  Actually, since this is fast and easy, first make sure the white connector on the solenoid is tight.  If the bike still doesn't start pull the white connector off.  The red/blue wire should have voltage key on, maybe sidestand up, depending on year.  If you have 12V there, wiring to that point, kill switch, ignition, main relay, and safety relay, if equipped are good.  You either have a weak battery, bad connection at the battery, solenoid, starter, bad solenoid or bad starter.  If you clean the connection at the starter use caution, the lug on the starter is delicate.

We also need to know the year of the bike.
ducfun

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 03:59:01 AM »

I'll try the checks suggested by howie and fresh pants and report back. Thanks for the info  waytogo

We also need to know the year of the bike.

Sorry  bang head it is a '96
supertjeduc

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 06:18:43 AM »

There is a small white plug at solinoid fiddel a that thing a bit
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 08:02:21 AM »

What do your plugs look like?

ducfun

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 12:38:59 PM »

it tuns out it was the wire bundle to the kill switch/start button. The wires were not severed, but stressed. Initially, I could fiddle with the wire bundle and cause the bike to shut off. Then I re-routed the wires. Everything seems to be good now. I can't get the bike to shut off by shaking the wires or the connector clip.

Thanks everyone! Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: