Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 03, 2024, 02:17:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SSS - Wheel Flex A Q for the tech minded!!!  (Read 1690 times)
tricolore

« on: July 15, 2008, 10:15:45 PM »

I have just noticed considerable rub marks on my Beautiful Gold rims, It appears as though my Carbon hugger and rear caliper have been rubbing on the rear wheel  bang head. The paint has been totally removed in some sections.
I only have about 1800km's on the clock. It has only happened on my most recent ride which was a fast ride and I pushed the bike pretty hard in some sections  Evil.
My hugger is from carbonworld and there is about 1/2" clearence to the outside of the rim. The rear brake is about 1/4" clearence but obviously closer to the centre of the wheel and it has rubbed paint off the back of the spokes.

1. Is this common
2. Is it normal
3. Does Flexing cause this?

I will trim the carbon from the hugger to stop that rubbing but others take note because it has ruined my wheel.

Thanks in advance.
Steve.

'08 S4RS Tri, '02 VOR En450, MV Agusta F4 Tracky, Ducati 900 Darmah.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:29:21 PM »

Are you absolutely sure the wheel is on there *tight*?

Perhaps the bearings in the eccentric have sacked?

If you grab the tire, and try to turn it side to side like you're steering with it, is there any freeplay?

The wheel and swingarm will flex, but not that much.
Something's not right.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
tricolore

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:39:13 PM »

Yes its tight, Yellow marker still on the nuts to indicate factory quality control and I cant move it sideways or back and forward.  Huh?

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:54:28 PM »

IMO, truck or trailer it to the dealer.

That hugger may flex and wiggle enough to drag, but if the caliper is hitting the spokes, something is very wrong.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Norm

hurricanemotorcycles.com

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:15:40 AM »

+1 what speeddog said.
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:28:42 AM »

Something is wrong.

I remember reading that the SSS it is "easy" to install the wheel wrong, and that the nut can still be tight but the wheel loose.  Something about the drive features between the hub and the rim, they can be not lined up right, and the rim will still install but slowly loosen on the hub.

good luck.

mitt

clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »

I set up new ducat's at a dealership for over 10 years.
Never, never, NEVER   trust that anything marked as tightened or checked and marked by the factory is tight.

The bikes are built by humans and if you look around you at your own job would you trust those people to have not missed any bolts?
tricolore

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 01:53:26 AM »

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
Just figured out the problem
After closer inspection I have realised that there must have been a stick or branch stuch in the back, I actually pulled the rear wheel off and found nothing untoward. When I took the rim under a flouro light I found traces of timber shaving on the caliper.  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
Somehow it must have became lodged in between the calliper and the wheel and the rub marks on the outside are from the carbon.
Conclusion..... Don't freak out and post on the forum unless you properly investigate.

mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 04:29:29 PM »

Just figured out the problem
After closer inspection I have realised that there must have been a stick or branch stuch in the back, I actually pulled the rear wheel off and found nothing untoward. When I took the rim under a flouro light I found traces of timber shaving on the caliper.  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
Somehow it must have became lodged in between the calliper and the wheel and the rub marks on the outside are from the carbon.
Conclusion..... Don't freak out and post on the forum unless you properly investigate.

Good news that nothing major was wrong, but still sucks you have scratched parts now on such a pretty bike.

mitt

DrDesmo

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 05:06:06 AM »

Don't freak out and post on the forum unless you properly investigate.

Whoa, whoa - let's not get carried away here!  laughingdp  Vino!

Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 07:37:15 PM »

Sounds like you were getting the best of Rossi in a race and he pulled the "Stick in the Spokes" trick!   cheeky

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

tricolore

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 03:25:37 AM »

Spent the majority of the weekend cutting and polishing the rear wheel, not too bad now. You can only see it if you really look for it. Fortunately the gold is quite light in colour so where the paint is totally removed it is not so obvious.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: