Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 07:01:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone thinking of Track days,,,,,,,just my thoughts.  (Read 5029 times)
gm2

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 10:39:30 AM »

Very true and knowing myself thats exactly what i would want to find out:-X

there are also less ego-or-adrenalin driven issues like are your tires at the right pressure, is your suspension set-up for you, are your tires squared off from lots of street riding, depending on the track and weather are the tires you have way too hard or soft/will they reliably support real lean angles, etc..  it's real easy to go from cruising around a corner 5-or-10% more leaned over than you've ever been on the street to suddenly on your ass in a split second.  doesn't mean you even did anything wrong.

i posted this somewhere around here: two weeks ago i saw a guy bin his very new looking 1098 at a track day.  checkered flag had already been waved, he was 2 turns before the last corner (the antepenultimate corner, for you english majors.. Wink), should have pretty much been cooling off by then.  who knows what he did but the bike was more than a little effed.  thousands of dollars in bodywork for sure.

Like this is the racing, no?
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 10:49:22 AM »

(the antepenultimate corner, for you english majors.. Wink)

Much appreciated.
GLantern

08 Red 1098, 07 DRZ400S

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 11:03:53 AM »

there are also less ego-or-adrenalin driven issues like are your tires at the right pressure, is your suspension set-up for you, are your tires squared off from lots of street riding, depending on the track and weather are the tires you have way too hard or soft/will they reliably support real lean angles, etc..  it's real easy to go from cruising around a corner 5-or-10% more leaned over than you've ever been on the street to suddenly on your ass in a split second.  doesn't mean you even did anything wrong.

i posted this somewhere around here: two weeks ago i saw a guy bin his very new looking 1098 at a track day.  checkered flag had already been waved, he was 2 turns before the last corner (the antepenultimate corner, for you english majors.. Wink), should have pretty much been cooling off by then.  who knows what he did but the bike was more than a little effed.  thousands of dollars in bodywork for sure.

Excellent point i always said i would need new tires if i did track but with that in mind i would want dedicated track tires and bodywork, and really for that price i'm probably halfway to a track ready SV650!

"Just ride and never ever look back"

www.suspectsunlimited.com
DanTheMan

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 10:19:55 PM »

Any idea if insurance covers a wreck on the track? That would be a big concern for me in case a mistake does occur.

I've heard quite a few cases where insurance does cover damages. I think the policy is "as long as it is not a timed event". but check with your insurance to be sure.

2008 KTM 690 SMC
2006 749 Dark- Sold
2003 M630ie Dark - Sold
2003 CRF175F
1999 Minsk 125 2T - Bought in Hanoi sold in Bangkok
1994 Ninja EX250 - Sold- AFM #692 - Retired
1996 Honda CR125R - Sold
JDS 07 S4Rs

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 07:32:53 AM »

Hmmm. "IF" I had colilsion INS on my bike,,, & I wiped it out on the track. That would be the last place I told them that I was riding it  Lips Sealed

2007 S4RS
2007 1098S Salvage Title (that's it. NO MORE BIKES)
02 GSXR 750 Trackbike - Ins Write/off
06 ZX636R Trackbike  - Ins Write-off (I couldnt help it, the price was right)
2003 BMW 1150R
2004 450 YZ
&,,, a few others :-)
tufty

Where did my money go?

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 08:05:24 AM »

I've heard quite a few cases where insurance does cover damages. I think the policy is "as long as it is not a timed event". but check with your insurance to be sure.

That is the sole reason many track day companies emphasize the rider improvement aspect of the clubs, to keep the insurance companies happy. Some will pay up if you wreck at the track (only do it once though!), State Farm for one will... Don't ask how I know Wink
EvilSteve
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 05:25:18 AM »

I'm going to track my Rs at some point, it's got to be done. I tracked my previous bike but it was a gix750 so I was really just taking it home. Wink

You can bin your bike on the street just as much as on the track if you're unable to exert some self control.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: