Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 04:25:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi-Viz vs Stealth : Riding gear color  (Read 13111 times)
lightspd

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 08:15:59 PM »

I actually saw that exact link in another forum that had an "ask a cop" section.   The OP then asked if a blue beacon could be worn on a belt/backpack/helmet and the officer replied that once a rider mounts a motorcycle,  they become a part of it and would be in violation of the law.

Makes me wonder how the law would address a reflector that was blue...

Lol, I just googled illuminated shirt and scrolled through the pics till I saw one that was very bright. California sounds crazy restrictive. While I appreciate no blue and red, I've seen plenty of other colors around here. Mostly neon colors, but blue major no no.
NAKID

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 09:35:10 AM »

In a nutshell, I discovered that my eyes are attracted to blue light and then discovered that it is illegal to emit blue light as a civilian.  Merica.

Same here, can spot a moto cop from behind a mile away.

That being said, studies have been conducted that show blue lights are easier to see at a greater distance than red lights...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's the DOT FMVSS s108 that defines what color lights can be used. But I'm not any kind of Leo soooo...

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »

Black helmet, white helmet

Here’s another video, showing you black helmet / outfit and white helmet / jacket back to back.

Which one is easier to spot ?

Notice how the female passenger who’s wearing white helmet and white jacket stays visible against constantly changing background color?

Next (if possible), I will try to take video / photo of the frontal image of Hi-viz vs Stealth.

oldndumb

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 08:36:58 AM »

No argument here that certain colors are more noticeable than others. However accepting that concept and applying it to roadway safety, it would have to bear on all vehicles on a road. And if that were true, dark colored automobiles would be run into more frequently than others. Not being aware of any such statistic, and the color of my car never being a factor for my insurance rate, I have to believe that this is an interesting observation, but remains a theory until proven with statistics.

One thing that has been proven is that someone can look directly at an object, color not being a factor, and not register that object to the point of not being aware of it. Thus the statements, "I looked and did not see him." There is also Empty Field Myopia, which may come into play on occasion depending on the environment.

Wearing white helmets may increase your chances of not being hit, or maybe not. Keeping up with your situational awareness and always thinking of an "out" definitely increases your odds of surviving. After all, they are out to get you.
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 11:38:46 AM »

[quote author=oldndumb link=topic=70734.msg1309004#msg1309004 date=1430930218

Keeping up with your situational awareness and always thinking of an "out" definitely increases your odds of surviving. After all, they are out to get you.
[/quote]

This^!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 05:35:51 AM »

found what I was looking for.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/olso1784/motorcycle/

-High visibility clothing and white helmets have been shown to reduce risk of crash compared to other methods.

http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857.full?sid=56823197-4b00-48fb-8592-c1a8d225a479

After adjustment for potential confounders, drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.63, 95% confidence interval 0.42 to 0.94) than other drivers. Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.76, 0.57 to 0.99). Self reported light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 09:09:10 PM »

Very useful info, thanks.
Good thread.

2015 Scrambler 800
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 10:07:06 PM »

This is NOT "Easy Rider", this is a motorcycle safety film (1973).
Peter Fonda and Evil Knievel. They mention about "wearing white helmet" in this film.
Certain things haven't changed that much since then, I guess.

d3vi@nt

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 06:47:15 PM »

No argument here that certain colors are more noticeable than others. However accepting that concept and applying it to roadway safety, it would have to bear on all vehicles on a road. And if that were true, dark colored automobiles would be run into more frequently than others. Not being aware of any such statistic, and the color of my car never being a factor for my insurance rate, I have to believe that this is an interesting observation, but remains a theory until proven with statistics.

One thing that has been proven is that someone can look directly at an object, color not being a factor, and not register that object to the point of not being aware of it. Thus the statements, "I looked and did not see him." There is also Empty Field Myopia, which may come into play on occasion depending on the environment.

Wearing white helmets may increase your chances of not being hit, or maybe not. Keeping up with your situational awareness and always thinking of an "out" definitely increases your odds of surviving. After all, they are out to get you.

Good points, particularly regarding situational awareness.

It seems that there are at least a few studies out there that point to increased accident rates in darker colored cars. Here's one: http://www.monash.edu.au/miri/research/reports/muarc263.pdf

I think one of the big differences is that bikes are 1) smaller than cars/trucks and therefore less visible, and 2) a minority in traffic and therefore don't register the same in the brain/perception of drivers (empty field myopia?).

I came across a statistic somewhere (can't remember where) that indicated bigger bikes and bikes with fairings were less prone to getting hit as compared to smaller and/or naked bikes.

And another study that tends to support increased visibility with reduced risk:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC387473/

Of course, they'll probably come out with another study that discounts the previous studies, but I've always liked the 'Be Safe Be Seen' mantra. Along with assuming that everyone is out to kill me. Wife included.  Cheesy

'13 MTS GT
'99 ST2
'07 M695 - Sold
mikefred

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 12:04:05 PM »

In the past, I always kind of color matched my helmet to my bike for the most part.
Usually a grey/silver or black.

When I dumped my Diavel and was hunting for a new bike, I was also in the hunt for a new helmet.

I got this one:

Rear shot:

(Arai Corsair V "Ducati Stripe")

Jokingly I even said in the shop, "They're not gonna miss this helmet!"

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 05:16:04 AM »

From FHE, spotting a white helmet is way easier. Over time I've lead several small group rides. When my sweep rider was in a white helmet it was so much easier/faster to pick him out when in a white helmet.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 04:52:45 PM »

I am reminded of a time when I was sitting outside a stable with a 4 lane road passing by it. A city bus had stopped to make a lefthand turn, and a fellow in a Detroit Landbarge ran into the back of it. He didn't see it.
 I have always had dark colored bikes until I got my first Ducati with never having a car run into me (about 50 years) and now I have about the loudest paint job I can imagine, but I still ride with the same situational awareness!

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: