Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 01, 2024, 01:19:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 01 M750 fuel sensor  (Read 1325 times)
scaudill

« on: May 02, 2016, 06:52:13 AM »

My fuel sensor is not working.  I wasn't going to replace it but now it seems to be seeping gas around the wiring.  I see that Ducati Omaha has them for $177.00 with free shipping.  Are there any better deals around?
Sterling
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:32:12 AM »

Yes.  The square-cross-section 'O-ring' is available separately and you should get a new one.  Also, look at California-Cycleworks.  They have an aluminum replacement nut for about $20.

You'll need to disassemble the 4-wire connector on your stock fuel sender unit so you can slide the nut off (take a photo of the wires first).  You'll likely see that the plastic stock nut has cracked.  Use grease on the new 'O-ring' and slide the new aluminum nut onto the wiring (paying attention to the direction it's facing (don't ask me why I mention this...)).  Re-assemble the 4-wire connector in the SAME ORDER as it was before and you'll be good for about 2 hours and $30.

The plastic nut is shit.  It cracks.  For about 100% of the people, that is the actual culprit.

Good luck.  We're here for you.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
scaudill

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 10:48:37 AM »

DuckStew
Thanks for the advice.
I removed the sensor and found where the wires enter the sensor the insulation was pulled away about 1/4"  Several strands on each wire were broken and probably touching each other.
The plastic nut was OK.  ( I have a lathe so I'm going to make an AL replacement).
I removed the connector and covered the wires with shrink tubing.
Hope to get back together in the next couple of days, hope it works.
Will a regular O ring work or do I need to get the square cross section?
Sterling
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 12:37:30 PM »

You need the square one.

But, here's an additional hint:  You can turn the existing one around and get a fresh new contact side.   Evil

I guess if you're bored and want to save the $20 for a new nut and lathe up your own, then god-speed man.  Me?  My times' worth more than that.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
scaudill

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »

I need to justify having a machine shop.  Not really, but enjoy learning how to use the lathe and milling machine. 
There was no gasket or O ring when I removed the sensor.
Thanks,  Sterling
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 02:58:23 PM »

Definitely get one then. Great you got skills. Think about custom rear sets, bar risers and light flywheels if you want to save serious coin. waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
scaudill

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 05:30:41 AM »

I have been thinking about the flywheel and rear sets.  Flywheel I'll do this coming winter.  I'd like to make up new supports for the pegs, up and back some.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: