Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 01, 2024, 03:18:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting M50 calipers off 330mm discs? Tricks? Tips?  (Read 831 times)
nickbee

« on: May 09, 2016, 05:58:02 PM »

I installed HH pads on the Monster 1200S this past weekend. I've seen all the instructions and videos on this.

For example you should...
NOT put pressure on the discs when spreading the pads.
DON'T gouge up your wheels when taking the caliper off.

Saying this is sorta like saying you should not break an egg to make an omelet.

What I ended up doing was cracking the caliper bleeder so when I pushed the pads in with the discs it required less pressure.

Even then the throttle side that has 2 banjo had to be pushed against the wheel when to come off. I put a few layers of painters tape on the wheel, but I still needed to put a good amount of force against the rim to wiggle it off.

Anyway, I got the job done but figured there might be some tricks or tips for this? I'll need to get the calipers off again seen when it's time for new rubber up front.

Thanks!
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 07:52:42 PM »

Pistons need to go all the way back.  If you are going to replace the pads anyway, removing them first gives more clearance.  If you are just changing pads you do not need to remove the calipers.
nickbee

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 02:31:37 AM »

The M50 does not use pins so I think it might be impossible to remove the pads before taking the calipers off. 

Also I keep reading that you should clean your pistons before pushing them in.  How the hell do I do that if I need to fully seat the pistons before wiggling the calipers off? 
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 03:24:01 AM »

Forgot the M50 is bridged. 
nickbee

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 12:48:19 PM »

I was just looking at the marchesini forged aluminum wheels I an thinking of getting eventually.  It looks like they might have some more room inside the rim because of how they are machined.  Anyone have some feedback on that?
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 02:05:22 PM »

Clearance for getting calipers off of 330mm rotors is indeed close.

I don't know if the M50's are bulkier than previous Monobloc Brembos.

In any case, after removing the bolts, I grab the caliper with both hands and give a steady twist, like I'm trying to fold the the rotor outward.
That pushes the pistons back enough to get the calipers off.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: