Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 02, 2024, 04:14:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M695 switchgear and turning radius  (Read 2814 times)
cencalal

« on: May 18, 2016, 04:17:12 PM »

A recent change to a Renthal road medium handlebar got me a bit more steering, lock to lock, than the stock steel bar.  With more rise, backsweep and upsweep, I've got a more comfortable position.  But I could have an even smaller, almost "normal" turning radius if the lower edge of the handlebar switches didn't contact the tank at full lock.  I notice that the latest Ducatis, Panigale, Scrambler, etc, use smaller switch housings that are round and don't have the protruding square bottom that the earlier switches do, and should have more clearance to the tank. Just looking at photos on ebay, it seems that  both types of right hand switches have the same number of pins (4) in their connectors, and that the left ones have 8 pins.  The M695 has the nice metri-pack type sealed connectors, but the later switches have smaller white plastic ones, so some cutting and splicing would be required to adapt.  Can anyone tell me why this wouldn't work?

Thanks
NAKID

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »

Seems like a big hassle to get a tiny bit more steering if that's your only intended benefit...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
cencalal

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:08:49 PM »

As it's set up now, although better than stock, the monster is still harder to maneuver than I'd like.  Stock, it was ridiculous.  Now I can at least make a u-turn on a narrow two lane country road.  And the later switch housings are nicer looking...
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 06:26:22 PM »

AFAIK, the new switchgear is designed for providing only a 'signal' voltage to the ECU/dash, and the actual electrical power is then controlled by relays, etc.

So you would need some additional electrickery to use them.

There may be some folks here that are fluent in Sparky and can outline how big a job that would be.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
cencalal

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:51:08 PM »

Thanks Speedog - that would explain the tiny pin contacts in the connectors...
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 04:43:39 PM »

It's doable.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
cencalal

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 06:19:54 PM »

Thanks for the photos, Kopf - they confirm what I meant by "nicer looking".  Would you elaborate on the installation?  Are these on an earlier model like my 695?  Other modifications required?  I was hoping to just plug 'n play...

Thanks
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 06:39:10 PM »

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=59940.msg1106474#msg1106474

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
cencalal

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 07:10:23 PM »

I see - maybe in my next life, if I come back as an electrician...  Undecided
cencalal

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 07:39:26 AM »

...but while waiting to see how that turns out, I'm gonna wander over to Ebuy and see if there's something from the land of the rising sun.  Wink
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 08:06:24 AM »

...but while waiting to see how that turns out, I'm gonna wander over to Ebuy and see if there's something from the land of the rising sun.  Wink

I imagine there might be several options out there, none of which are gonna be plug & play.

cencalal

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 02:46:33 PM »

Suzuki GSXR1300R switches look like a possibility.  Smaller rounded shape, better black plastic housings, same functions, not fine gauge wires...might give them a try.
The right side housing has right angle throttle cables included, would need to adapt the one that pulls since the M695 has a single.
The left side comes with a choke/fast idle lever which the M695 also has - I've never used mine.  (In fact, since I added the FatDuc oxygen sensor manipulator, the bike warms up faster and runs much better when cold.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: