Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 05, 2024, 10:18:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frame Sliders...Bad Idea?  (Read 1604 times)
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« on: July 18, 2008, 02:45:57 PM »

I was told by a Duc mechanic that he would not put frame sliders on a motorcycle. He says that at a stand still or slow drop they are good protection, but should you go down while moving they act as a pivot point and the bike ends up worse off than if it just slid on itself. Any thoughts about this?

Is it June yet?
Wanwo

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »

They seem to slide on the slider alright. Here's one of our members going down on his S4Rs. Bike sustained only minor damage!

youtube.com/watch?v=BuMRyZvYFaY

(sorry you'll have to cut and past that url into your address bar, embedding is disabled on that video)

And an earlier video showing the kind of sliders he had.
tangueroHondo

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 04:53:04 PM »

Big ass lic plate.   Embarrassed
Ducnial

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 05:01:03 PM »

Re: thoughts;  not much more can be added beyond whats already been posted and commented here and the "other" forum.  I have em on my S4R.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 05:13:42 PM »

I was told by a Duc mechanic that he would not put frame sliders on a motorcycle. He says that at a stand still or slow drop they are good protection, but should you go down while moving they act as a pivot point and the bike ends up worse off than if it just slid on itself. Any thoughts about this?

Not sure if this is a topic on search yet, but it was at TOB. But your mechanics argument is actually a flip from what most people tend to believe. Believe the facts however you want, i choose to have them on. but.

a) All quality sliders (speedymoto, cycle cats, rizoma etc) are made to snap if there is a sudden force applied to it greater than what it was designed to do. This is to prevent the bike from, just for example, snagging something and getting fliped.

b) in a slow speed drop, or parking lot drop, all of the impact is placed on that one slider. That energy is transfered to your frame and engine. There have been many reported incidences of broken engine blocks an frames from multiple slow speed drops. But i dont see this as an issue unless something delibertly kicks your bike over or you drop at parking lot speeds multiple times without trying to keep it up or lay it down softly. It takes a lot to break the frame and engine.

So its really up you as the end user to decide how you want to protect your bike. Cycle cats are probably the beefiest you can get, Speedy motos are a bit softer than the sliders cycle cat makes, but i believe they also have larger sliders (diameter wise) Rizomas are in a Tetris double L shape. Like one leg of the nazi symbol i suppose

edit. typed this out and got a phone call.

what happened to the guy in that vid? looked like the rear just broke loose and came out. I saw some sparts in the front when it went down too. I assume too much throttle opening her up out of a corner?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:18:13 PM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 05:51:13 PM »

Remember there are only TWO bolts that attach the frame to the engine itself.  It isn't good having one that the installer didn't tighten properly.  (I've seen this too many times now as well as 10mm used in 12mm location)  I sometimes wonder if the frame/engine breakage attributed to frame sliders is partly due to improperly tightened bolts.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: