Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 03, 2024, 04:16:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning DP Filters from Open Airbox Kit  (Read 1734 times)
Crazy Canadian

« on: July 18, 2008, 08:15:01 PM »

Okay.  Bought one of these kits used off a member of this board.  Payment is on its way and it should ship soon.  In the meantime, the fellow told me I needed to clean it.  Question is, what with?  I've never used a K&N before but I'm assuming it's the same??  I bought a K&N cleaning kit today from PartSource.  Just follow the same directions?? Although the DP doesn't say K&N I'm assuming it either is one or is made the same and cleaned the same. Correct? Thanks guys. 

2007 S2R 800, 14T Front Sprocket, Simple Tail Chop, SpeedyMoto Sliders, Arrow Steering Damper, Rizoma Reverse Retro Bar End Mirrors, Arrow Full Exhaust, Crazy Ass Driver.
Hedgehog

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:37:08 PM »

Okay.  Bought one of these kits used off a member of this board.  Payment is on its way and it should ship soon.  In the meantime, the fellow told me I needed to clean it.  Question is, what with?  I've never used a K&N before but I'm assuming it's the same??  I bought a K&N cleaning kit today from PartSource.  Just follow the same directions?? Although the DP doesn't say K&N I'm assuming it either is one or is made the same and cleaned the same. Correct? Thanks guys. 

I just cleaned my K&N with Dawn (dishwashing detergent) and water.  YMMV 
Crazy Canadian

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:06:34 PM »

okay but is the DP filter the same as a K&N?

2007 S2R 800, 14T Front Sprocket, Simple Tail Chop, SpeedyMoto Sliders, Arrow Steering Damper, Rizoma Reverse Retro Bar End Mirrors, Arrow Full Exhaust, Crazy Ass Driver.
printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 06:43:18 AM »

okay but is the DP filter the same as a K&N?

Most performance filters are in the same design as K&N, it might actually be one not sure. It should be a gauze style filter, not paper. But wash it with mild dish soap, and re oil it with air filter oil. If you don't have it, you can usually find it at a local auto store.

Do not over oil it, or it will affect its performance

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
Crazy Canadian

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 08:57:05 AM »

Most performance filters are in the same design as K&N, it might actually be one not sure. It should be a gauze style filter, not paper. But wash it with mild dish soap, and re oil it with air filter oil. If you don't have it, you can usually find it at a local auto store.

Cool.  I bought a recharger kit for like $12 which includes spray oil and Air Filter Cleaner.  Sound like I could have skipped the kit and just bought the oil.  The disk soap and a sink are probably easier to use also than the spritzer type bottle of cleaner they gave in the kit.  Anyway, I'll treat it like a K&N as I know it can be cleaned, so it must be the same.

clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 05:32:28 PM »

K&N cleaner works great on dp gauze type filters.
wash with water to get all the cleaner out and then dry it with low air pressure (think fan not compressor).
re-oil the filter just enough to leave it lightly coated, any excess will run out. Over oiling will use the bike to run rich for a while.

With gauze type filters be careful not to overclean them as they intend for the large dirt particles to help with the filtration. even then they let silty sand through pretty easily.
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 07:23:20 AM »

I have the DP filter, it is a dry element not oiled

Capo de tuti capi
Crazy Canadian

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 10:41:46 AM »

I have the DP filter, it is a dry element not oiled

Is this the same filter that comes with the open airbox kit?  If so, then how often do you replace it?  Did I just pay $70 bucks for a dirty filter and a a top lid and now have to go out and buy a K&N?  That seems weird.  You'd think they'd sell the open box lid with something that offers more protection through oil than just a dry element filter. Can anyone confirm what type of filter comes with the DP open airbox kit?

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 11:16:40 AM »

If it is a gauze or foam filter it needs to be oiled unless you like the idea of your engine swallowing grit.
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 07:16:58 PM »

+1 to oiling filters
dlearl476

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 10:30:30 AM »

You'd think they'd sell the open box lid with something that offers more protection through oil than just a dry element filter.

A paper filter actually does offer more protection.  The trade off is that they are a) disposable and b) easily clogged by dirt.

The advantages of a foam or a gauze filter is that can be cleaned and reused.

But wash it with mild dish soap, and re oil it with air filter oil. If you don't have it, you can usually find it at a local auto store.

fwiw, K&N oil is about the consistency of ATF, foam filter oil about like 75W-90 gear lube.  The pores on a foam filter are larger than pores in a gauze filter.  As Hedgehog will more than likely point out, I'm a Motul and UNI dealer, so take my advice fwiw, but in my personal vehicles I use K&N oil in my K&N and BMC filters and Motul foam filter oil in my UNI filters, like the pods I run on the M900.
YMMV
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 01:26:52 AM »

If it is a gauze or foam filter it needs to be oiled unless you like the idea of your engine swallowing grit.

The DP filtrer is niether gauze nor foam it is a dry element

Capo de tuti capi
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: