Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 03, 2024, 12:24:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K&N Breather Oil Pros & Cons  (Read 1744 times)
He Man
Post Whore

« on: July 19, 2008, 02:58:08 PM »

Did some research and spoke with some people. As well as the very informative thread on TOB that i can no longer find, but there seems to  be a con to installing the K&N crank case breather. Aside from the oil issue, is there anything you guys know about how someone would go about properly removing the crank case breather box and replacing it with somethign smaller? I need to do this so i can put a new shock in. I remember there was an issue with the size of the breather box affecting the performance of the bike and the K&N filter would lead to a lack of ready voulme there.

Any comments on the mod?

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 03:53:23 PM »

Did some research and spoke with some people. As well as the very informative thread on TOB that i can no longer find, but there seems to  be a con to installing the K&N crank case breather. Aside from the oil issue, is there anything you guys know about how someone would go about properly removing the crank case breather box and replacing it with somethign smaller? I need to do this so i can put a new shock in. I remember there was an issue with the size of the breather box affecting the performance of the bike and the K&N filter would lead to a lack of ready voulme there.

Any comments on the mod?
There are some advantages to pulling a vacuum in the crankcase, which the stock set-up does to a degree.   I was told at a BCM maintenance seminar that in our motors, the difference in negligible.

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 07:07:01 AM »

Some say that the airflow into the airbox helps pull the dirty air out of the crankcase.

Others say its crap.

My Tube into the airbox cracked off, so I capped it, and removed the tube but still have my reservoirs (cheap) Probably the same as a filter on top at that point and no problems.

I would think that a filter would best be served higher in the frame like some have, compared to right at the breather. IMO

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:01:06 AM »

Do it!

no power difference at all.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=2838.0

How it looks after a little paint:

truckinduc

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:19:21 AM »

nice post count He Man. And that back tire is looking a little rough El Matador. Ive ridden with a blown rear tire, actually kinda fun.

I see no reason a breather filter would hurt, even if intake did draw a little of the blow by gas out, you would never feel the difference.

All racebikes run the breather up and into a catch can, for oil spillage. If there were a gain to be had, the racers would Be doing it.
Hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:43:50 AM »

Do it!

no power difference at all.

How it looks after a little paint:

I tried this on my SS years ago.  Eventually the filter turns black, and blowback oil seepage will start to be a problem.  I finally decided I didn't like the look and put the stock system back.  YMMV (Your Mods May Vary)
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 11:59:12 AM »

nice post count He Man. And that back tire is looking a little rough El Matador. Ive ridden with a blown rear tire, actually kinda fun.

I see no reason a breather filter would hurt, even if intake did draw a little of the blow by gas out, you would never feel the difference.

All racebikes run the breather up and into a catch can, for oil spillage. If there were a gain to be had, the racers would Be doing it.

AHH IM THE DEVIL AHHH! =D

In that case, then im going for that mod. My friend did the crankcase breather mod just like El Matador's setup and his bike has blowby gas spitting out the side of his bike and you can see all this vapor at night time, it looks like a radiator blew up on a car. But he didnt run a tube back to the airbox to suck that gas back in. Im gonna go to home depot tonight to pick up some tubing and rerun mine tonight. Any idea what size/type tubing i should get?

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
scduc

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 03:20:35 PM »

I did the TPO swap, and then rode to work the next day. I have to say that it did run a little funny especially at low speed. She just kept farting. When I got home, I did some searches,and found that alot of the big boys(of knowledge) say that they keep their stock breather and plumbling. I then put all of the tubes back on and have to say that I can definately notice a difference for the better. Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe it's because I have not done the ECU airfilter and pipes. I just know she runs better.

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: