Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 18, 2024, 12:30:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another no-Monster build thread  (Read 63724 times)
MonsterHPD

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2017, 11:39:22 AM »

popcorn
How's it going?

Well, not too well at the moment, still waiting for the crank to come back from the balancer, and waiting for some response from the company that could supply oil cooler hoses. And I´ve realized that ever so slowly the winter is coming to an end, and if I want to have the bike rideable in time I should concentrate on that for now.

One item is I´d like to have is some kind of a half fairing, and so far the top half of a 1098 fairing seems like the best bet:

20170212_190654 by torbjörn bergström, on Flickr

It does not fit perfectly, so in the end I might use this fairing as a starting point for a bespoke fairing. For instance, this one has air outlets from the rad where I´d like to have air inlets for the rear cylinder, but that will have to wait until next winter.

I´m also thinking about making a crankcase ventilation catch tank in the seat unit, lets see.

Right now, the shock is in pieces for re-shimming. Seems I´ll have to improve on my de-aeration tecniques ....

20170214_201719 by torbjörn bergström, on Flickr     

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »

Perhaps try something besides beer?  Grin

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
MonsterHPD

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »

Perhaps try something besides beer?  Grin

I´ll think about it ... chug

Monster 900-2002 (sold, alive and well in the UK), 749R / 1100 HYM combo for track days, wifes / my Monster Dark 800-2003 (not entirely "Dark" anymore and a personal favourite) , 50% of 900SSie -2000 track bike for rainy days-now with tuned ST2 motor and Microtec ECU. Also parked due to having been T-boned on track.
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2017, 09:53:52 AM »

It's taking shape waytogo

2015 Scrambler 800
MonsterHPD

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »

It's taking shape waytogo

Well, yeah ... I´m not entirely convinced about the shape it´taking, but it´ll have to do for now After all, it´s a rolling project  Smiley

MonsterHPD

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »

Well, summer is drawing close, ad I have to concentrate on stuff necessary to have the bike running; the fairing project hs been shelved for the time beeing.

Right now I´m working on a cranckcase ventilation catch tank. Im moving the reed valve to after the tank, on the assumption that more volume is better:

20170402_201438 by torbjörn bergström, on Flickr

As mentioned before, on a special like this, everythng takes time since everything has to be fabricated. The air hose nipple for the idle stepper motor interefered with the frame cross-member, so a little bracket to solve that needed fabricating:

20170331_173812 by torbjörn bergström, on Flickr

Other than that, not much progress lately. Lots of work, and other stuff needing doing.     

MonsterHPD

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2017, 11:16:51 AM »

Well,
this started out as a standard 749 / 999 rear sub frame. I think, now it´s mostly TIG weld. Or attempted TIG weld, just as the exhaust last winter was my learning project for thin-wall stainless TIG welding, this has been my project for learning alu TIG welding. Tacky welding apart, it has been getting (slightly) better, at least I´m pretty sure the metal will fuse (as opposed to just melting), and again I´ve learned how important weld preparation is. Any irregularity in the seam pre-weld will show up in the weld.

20170411_195100 by torbjörn bergström, on Flickr

When I bought the alu sheet, I thought the white surface was protetctive foil, but it turned out to be very stubborn paint, renants of which contaminated the weld area, and maybe using sanding wheels also use for other metals does not help.

Anyway, it´s in place now, oil cooler hoses next, I ordered hoses and connectors yesterday.      

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2017, 01:03:47 PM »

For TIG welding aluminum, clean weld area with a degreaser, specifically non-chlorinated product.

Scary story:
http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html

I scrub the weld zone with a stainless steel wire brush, which is used only for that task.

Gas lens to promote better Argon coverage.

Practice, practice, practice.
And do a bit of welding on similar size scraps beforehand to warm up and get the welder setting correct.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
MonsterHPD

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »

For TIG welding aluminum, clean weld area with a degreaser, specifically non-chlorinated product.

Scary story:
http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html

I scrub the weld zone with a stainless steel wire brush, which is used only for that task.

Gas lens to promote better Argon coverage.

Practice, practice, practice.
And do a bit of welding on similar size scraps beforehand to warm up and get the welder setting correct.

After almost torching off my bike, probably due to brake cleaner igniting on the exhaust, I´ve gotten even more cautios about chemicals than I was. Over here, thrichlorethylene was a common degreaser before it got banned on carcinogenic suspicions. It was preferred over hydrocarbon-based fluids due to beeing non-flammable, but on hot surfaces it would de-compose into chlorine gas .... nasty stuff of WW1 (in)fame.

My welding deteriorates seriously when my patience drops off, especially since preparation effort also drops off .... with alu and TIG, it´s fascinating what can be covered up with a bit more filler ... but it shows.

It´s also hard to weld bigger pieces without a gas pedal, it´s a pretty huge difference at the start and the end of the weld due to the initially cold work piece getting warmer and warmer. Beeing gifted would help ... but at least I can get more careful with preparations.

But I think TIG (and oxy-acethylene) welding is fun, so I practice when I can. 

And Speeddog, thanks for the tips  waytogo          
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:38:09 PM by MonsterHPD » Logged

MonsterHPD

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2017, 01:19:20 AM »

Well,

it´s off for the first track day of the year tomorrow. The bike still has the old motor, but the new crankcase ventilation, rebuilt and re-valved shock, hopefully functioning slipper clutch, and, just barely, the new oil cooler arrangement:

20170513_181419 by torbjörn bergström, on Flickr

20170513_224944 by torbjörn bergström, on Flickr

Not that I need it, the way the weather is looking today ... but hopefully it will be a summer eventually this year as well.

I was trying get hoses done with press fittings as that makes for smaller parts, but in the end I had to revert t good ol´Goodridge. Quite good kit, actually, but it is not easy t get teh angled couplings angle the right way.

I also think I will try a 90 degree bend for the motor block inlet, the 45 degree did not come out as I had expected.     

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2017, 08:07:32 AM »

popcorn

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

MonsterHPD

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2017, 07:33:19 AM »

The hopefully functioning slipper clutch turned ot to slip as happily as ever, so I just did a few trundle stints to get the feel of the bike. Apart from the clutch, everything seemed to work, at least at no-slip-provoking low revs and trundle tempo.

I really don´t see what´s wrong with the clutch. I have now compared it really closely with the old STM I had on the Monster 900. Even though quite a few of the part numbers are different, it seems that the actual parts are identical to the old one, so now the new clutch is assebled exactly as I used to have the old one on the M900. I also have the old main spring to swap with, and as a last resort, a complete standard clutch with everything needed to change; in an hour that should be possible, even in the pits.

Next track day is Wednesday next week, let´s see if I can get the STM to work or if it will be the standard clutch ...           

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »

Is it a coil spring or diaphragm type?

My vote would be to run the standard clutch next week and thus be able to see how the rest of the bike works at speed...

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

MonsterHPD

« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2017, 09:43:32 AM »

Is it a coil spring or diaphragm type?

My vote would be to run the standard clutch next week and thus be able to see how the rest of the bike works at speed...

It´s a diaphragm type.

I´ll run it first stint, if it does not work I´ll swap it for a standard clutch.   

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »

Good luck. waytogo
Will be watching how she goes. popcorn

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: