Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 04, 2024, 12:14:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S4 in pieces :(  (Read 1210 times)
tfmktm

« on: July 19, 2008, 06:23:13 PM »

Hi All,

I just picked up an '02 S4 a couple of weeks ago, with just under 10k miles on the odo. That was on a Thursday. That next Monday I took it to the track for a NESBA track day as my usual track steed (Triumph Daytona 600) had a broken exhaust. All went well at the track - no drama. I rode it to work and back the next day. Coming home with about 5 miles to go, there's a lot more noise than the dry clutch and CF exhaust. I pull into the back yard and turn it off immediately. Tell my mechanic hubby that we have a genuine Italian Mistress(tm).

We take it apart and find the cam shaft circlip has broken and is sitting the the valve cover of the horizontal head. Cry

Luckily, it didn't move into the motor. The bike is now dissected into two major parts. The rear end and the engine sit on the work bench. The front end and the frame sit on a stand behind it. We covered the headlight so she wouldn't have to watch her innards being operated on.

My husband can work on all things Japanese, but we've called in a very knowledgeable Ducati Doctor for this operation. While we have her apart, we'll be replacing belts, inspecting valves and clearances...I have a bag of keepers sitting next to me. The cam shaft end cap is on order from Eastside Motorsports in Bellevue, Wa as that did get a bit mangled.

We have the shop manual and the maintenance and modifications book from Desmo Times - thanks for the tip on that!

Any and all advice is welcome on this topic. The only other Ducati in the stable is a '66 Diana. The last Monster was '95 M900 in 2003,  so we're noobies again. Pics to follow if you're interested.

Wish us luck!

tfmk(tm)
'04 D6
'03 DRZ
'02 S4
'85 VF1KR
'66 Diana M3
Magnus

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 06:43:22 AM »

yikes..  not much help i can offer, but just condolences from a fellow s4 owner. 

the desmo times book has helped me out quite a bit as well, good luck on the surgery.

post some pics if you have a chance...

'02 MS4 Black Fog
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 08:59:49 AM »

Fortunately in the Northwest there are some great resources to utilize to keep your Ducati alive.

Given it was "salvage" at one time, I'd highly recommend a good nut/bolt check on every fastener on the bike to be safe.  If you don't know the maintenance history for the engine, I'd change the belts as they could be old.

As for upgrades?  I'd resprocket the S4 to make it more useable -- easy to do. Upgrade the brake pads for track use. If money allows -- I'd revalve the front fork with the Ohlins internals (Magnus above just did his) and Penske rear shock upgrade.

Then just ride it on the track and at home and have fun. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: