Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 03, 2024, 06:23:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing ride height rod?  (Read 1438 times)
red baron

« on: July 20, 2008, 08:51:48 AM »

Can the ride height rod on the s2r1000 be easliy removed?

Mine seems to have frozen up and now I've buggered up the bottom "nut" trying to get the adjuster to move.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
OverCaffeinated

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 09:22:40 AM »

FYI the bottom adjusting nut is a left hand thread. You would turn it clockwise to loosen it. I wouldn't say removing the whole rod is easy. You have to figure out a way to support the rear of the bike in the air, to take weight off the suspension. I used a forklift at my job, which worked great cuz I could move the bike up and down to remove the bolts. Good luck.
red baron

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 09:29:18 AM »

The nuts are loose no prob, the rod won't turn.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Hedgehog

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 09:32:09 AM »

You have to figure out a way to support the rear of the bike in the air, to take weight off the suspension.

I don't know how well this works on other models, but here are a couple of pics of a stand I made for my SS to hold the bike while I do rear suspension work.  The rod is a piece of drill rod from a metal dealer.  I believe it's 5/16".

OverCaffeinated

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 09:57:16 AM »

The nuts are loose no prob, the rod won't turn.

I've heard of this happening. Ducati doesn't put any antisieze lube on the threads. So after time and heat those bolt become one with rod. If you haven't already, try sprayin some Nuts Off or PB Penetrant and let it soak a bit. I can understand how it is hard to get enough leverage without messeing stuff up in that tight space.
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:51:05 AM »

I've heard of this happening.

Yeah I've heard of this happening too.  The easiest way to support your bike is to use a car scissor jack with a 2X4 between your tire and your frame.  The bottom bolt for the rod is the same rod that secures the shock just take your rear brake master out of the way, unscrew the bolt, then use a pair of needle nose pliers to retrieve it from inside the swing arm.

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: