Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 03, 2024, 12:22:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 999 SSS Conversion ?  (Read 2835 times)
Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« on: July 21, 2008, 12:25:41 AM »

Hi, A friend of mine has a 2006 999 S and want to fit Monster S4RS Single Sided swingarm.

Is this possible and if what are the things that need to change i.e.

Swingarm length, top shock mount, pivot etc.

Any advice would be helpfull .

As far as I know the engine casings are the same for the 2 models.

Thanx

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:23:09 AM »

999 has the narrow engine case ala SBK's. A SBK SSS can be made to work easily but requires shims/machining.  I haven't looked to see if a 1098 swingarm would be easier instead.

fyi: Installing a 999 swingarm onto a Monster is almost identical as per the SBK SSS installation.

El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:37:39 AM »

999 has the narrow engine case ala SBK's. A SBK SSS can be made to work easily but requires shims/machining.  I haven't looked to see if a 1098 swingarm would be easier instead.

fyi: Installing a 999 swingarm onto a Monster is almost identical as per the SBK SSS installation.

I've seen it done before with an SBK swingarm. It looked sick

TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 05:24:57 PM »

Pretty darn sure the 916+ style swingarms will bolt up, however you will need to have the shock modified because it's a different length.

Also, going to a 916 style swingarm will net you a fat negative gain in everything but looks.

It's much much heavier = Bad

Even worse, it's shorter = Very bad

1098 are will work, with (again) a custom shock.  How much you will "gain" is up to you, but the later model 999 arm that he already has is pretty darn good.

Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:25 PM »

I understand he already has the Monster S4 R SSS swingarm and shock. apart from dismantling the 999 and measuring have no idea if casings are the same width.
S4R does have same engine as 999 as far as I know, so that should be straight swop for swingarm.

I would like to know if shock are the same length?

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 03:51:26 AM »

I understand he already has the Monster S4 R SSS swingarm and shock. apart from dismantling the 999 and measuring have no idea if casings are the same width.
S4R does have same engine as 999 as far as I know, so that should be straight swop for swingarm.

I would like to know if shock are the same length?

That's actually not true, the superbike cases are machined narrower at the swingarm pivot, so if he wanted to run the s*r swingarm, he'd have to be using the pivot axle from the monster, and have some custom spacers machined, additionally as already mentioned, he'd have to have the shock changed in some way. I believe that the superbike and monster shocks are at different locations transversely in the frame, so you'd actually have to modify the shock linkage pivot in the frame, as well as compensating for the different shock length.

Short answer is: it can be done, but you really have to want to do it, and it's definitely not bolt on.

That said, it's really not worth doing for the monster SSS, unless you were really going for the trellis look.
The older superbike swingarm, as mentioned earlier would be much easier, but is a worse swingarm than the s*r style, which is much worse than the 749/999 style swingers.

If you really wanted a SSS on a 999 the best thing would be trying to fit a 1098 swingarm.

Justin

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: