Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:32:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warped rotors?  (Read 7910 times)
Old-Duckman

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 02:45:09 AM »

I agree with LA, the mechanic most likley bent your carriers.

Don't know how handy you are but I have straightened bent carriers with the judicious use of a mallet...You mallet the carrier only...Not the actual rotor.

My ST4 had over 0.050 runout and I got it down to 0.015 with nothing but a mallet and the sense to know where and how hard to use the mallet.

I'd try taking it back to the shop who did the tire change. They will probably deny any guilt but it is worth a try.
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 11:23:53 AM »

Hypurone,

I'm using the iron BrakeTech rotors which can be bought directly from BrakeTech, but I found out Chris sells em and cheaper. They are reputed to be a little better that the stainless steel rotors (coefficient of friction?), but not in any way that could be measured or that you are likely to be able to feel on the street.  If you ask Chris at Ca-cycle Works or the guy at BrakeTech they will probably tell you the same. I've used iron for years (old Ducs and Guzzis) and don't mind the rust thing, which is not really a bother to me.

The carbon ceramic cp211 pads work well with the iron or ss rotors.

So far as the bent carriers are concerned, I think OldDuckMan is correct in that they should be able to straightened with some correctly applied hammer work and time spent with a dial indicator.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 12:18:50 PM »

Hypurone,

I'm using the iron BrakeTech rotors which can be bought directly from BrakeTech, but I found out Chris sells em and cheaper. They are reputed to be a little better that the stainless steel rotors (coefficient of friction?), but not in any way that could be measured or that you are likely to be able to feel on the street.  If you ask Chris at Ca-cycle Works or the guy at BrakeTech they will probably tell you the same. I've used iron for years (old Ducs and Guzzis) and don't mind the rust thing, which is not really a bother to me.

The carbon ceramic cp211 pads work well with the iron or ss rotors.

So far as the bent carriers are concerned, I think OldDuckMan is correct in that they should be able to straightened with some correctly applied hammer work and time spent with a dial indicator.
LA

Thanks man.

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
VisceralReaction

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 04:03:30 PM »

I totally missed the method of how to use the socket and hammer to make your rotors float.

There are squirrels juggling knives in my head
knightrider

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 05:20:47 PM »

i just learned about it yesterday and went and did it, its awesome and free, also, a 19mm was too small for my buttons, i used 3 20mm sockets to support the rotor flat, and whacked away

1994 M900
EvilSteve
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 05:48:48 AM »

Can we have a how to or link or something? Please? Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: