Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 11:25:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warped rotors?  (Read 8256 times)
vwboomer

« on: May 07, 2008, 12:07:53 PM »

I took my tires to a shop to get them mounted. The guy did the rear ok, but couldn't do the front because of the rotor size. it's more of an older bike shop.
So I went to Yamaha to get the rear balanced, and the front mounted. I picked em up today and put the front on, but it turned hard! Loosened up the axle again, still hard. Took the calipers back off and it spun easy. I looked at it turning and there must be at least 1/8" runout on each side, but at different spots in the rotor - about 90degrees off.

There was always pulsing under 5mph or so, but I havent' even squeezed the lever and it's grabbing at those spots.
I'm guessing I'm pretty well screwed here and have to get new rotors and carriers?

2005 S4R - Sato, PM, CC, Sargeant
2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
Alex

2000 M900ie

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:13:14 PM »

Are you suggesting that somehow the tire change process caused your rotors to warp? It seems more likely they were installed improperly somehow (if they were removed, that is). Maybe you should check to make sure they are on straight and everything.

Just take them off. It's easy to see if they're warped, just lay them flat on a glass surface.

Also, major "warp-like" effects can be caused by frozen buttons on your rotors. Clean them out thoroughly, and check to make sure they move freely. If you spray them with lubricant *very carefully*, you may notice the problem disappear immediately.

Aftermarket: RoadRacing modified under-engine exhaust, revalved 996 forks, ProCutting half-open clutch, CC triple and pressure plate, 999 clipons, BMC filter, CRG-LS mirrors, PC3, Rizoma rearsets, heated grips, +2 teeth in rear gearing, Veypor VR2 computer, MBP collets, Yoyodyne slave, Galfer waves front and rear, misc CF (mostly faded), CRG clutch/brake levers.
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »

Rotors can be warped during tire change. Ass me how I know.

Happened to me. Really the carriers are what warped.

That's why I went to the full floaters with carbon ceramic cp211 pads from BrakeTech.  wt: Great brakes, but Spensive though.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
vwboomer

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 02:40:29 PM »

The rotors weren't removed from what I can tell. No tool marks on the Torx bolts. I pulled the rotors off, and did the socket/hammer thing to make em float. it's much better, but still doesn't spin quite freely.
I imagine they could be bent by not using the right tool for the job. i.e. using some cheapo changer that works fine on old wheels with small discs. or using spoons and prying against the rotor.

Can't prove anyone did anything wrong, since it was at 2 shops. I wont get to ride it for almost 2 weeks cuz I'm going on vacation this weekend (to AZ!). When I get back I'll test drive it and see how it is.  If it's unacceptable I'll have to try to find some used rotors. I don't have the money for even new stockers after buying the GasGas and going on vacation  :wine

2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
Alex

2000 M900ie

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 04:08:35 PM »

I have a set of used rotors from my 2000 m900. They aren't worth much, since I removed them because I thought they were warped...

The do work fine though, and probably would benefit from a good button cleaning. Realistically it may not be worth their value to ship them since rotors are heavy.

You should just get new ones. New rotors are fun! I bought some Galfer waves, and in addition to looking cool, I immediately noticed an increase in maneuverability due to the lower weight. Lighter rotors are a huge upgrade in general.

Aftermarket: RoadRacing modified under-engine exhaust, revalved 996 forks, ProCutting half-open clutch, CC triple and pressure plate, 999 clipons, BMC filter, CRG-LS mirrors, PC3, Rizoma rearsets, heated grips, +2 teeth in rear gearing, Veypor VR2 computer, MBP collets, Yoyodyne slave, Galfer waves front and rear, misc CF (mostly faded), CRG clutch/brake levers.
jagstang

Ramming speed...

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 12:46:39 AM »

What about switching to full-floating buttons?  Can you just replace the OEM ones?

'09 1100
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 05:32:15 AM »

I think the last time I saw those buttons it took something like $220 for two rotors.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 06:46:48 AM »

Rotors can be warped during tire change. Ass me how I know.
Happened to me. Really the carriers are what warped.
That's why I went to the full floaters with carbon ceramic cp211 pads from BrakeTech.  wt: Great brakes, but Spensive though.
LA

Gald to see you made it here man. I had some full floaters on a few of my other bikes. They were always very noisy at low speeds and over bumps. Are yours like this? You got the rotors from Braketech too? What is the dusting like on the ceramics?

Sorry for the threadjack. Kind of.... But inquiring minds need to know (mine are warping from blitzkreig stops, man I just have to stay off 253! NOT!)

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
vwboomer

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 12:25:31 PM »

I think motowheels sells the full floating buttons for $7 each. Way too much money considering I did the same thing with a hammer and socket for free Smiley Rattles just spinning the wheel. Cool! I'm sure I'll be able to hear that over my clutch  cheeky

Ideally I'd get new rotors, but like I said, I can't keep throwing money at the bike. I might be able to get em later in the year, but still need to ride til then. Unless someone can point me in a different direction, the cheapest I'm seeing is about 200 each?

Alex if those rotors are straight, are they the same as on my S4R? Shipping wouldn't be too bad I'm sure. Like 15lbs including packing. I'm gonna ask to see if others have some too.

2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 01:53:45 PM »

I've got a set of the BrakeTech rotors, and they do make a bit of noise over bumps, and occasionally rattle a bit when backing up.
Doesn't bother me.

I wish I could tell you how the dusting is with the Carbon-Ceramic rotors.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
hypurone

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 06:32:03 AM »

I've got a set of the BrakeTech rotors, and they do make a bit of noise over bumps, and occasionally rattle a bit when backing up.
Doesn't bother me.
I wish I could tell you how the dusting is with the Carbon-Ceramic rotors.

Thanks for the rotor info. I doubt he has Carbon-Ceramic rotors, I have never seen those that are DOT legal. I'm pretty sure from the way he stated it, he is only running Carbon-Ceramic pads. I have some of these in my truck for the performance and they were supposed to be low dusting but I can't tell a diff at all!

LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 06:42:15 AM »

I haven't noticed any dusting from the pads at all.  The brakes are the absolute cat's ass though. Just don't put the bike away wet and leave it for more than overnight. Even in that period of time the rotors will "rust" to the pads. After a three day layup I had to drag the bike out of the garage and use the engine to get the front wheel free.

Best damn brakes ever though. wt:

LA

hypurone

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 07:09:42 AM »

You got part numbers, pics and linky?  Grin

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 08:57:05 AM »

You got part numbers, pics and linky?  Grin

If you mean iron rotors or Carbon-Ceramic, braketech.com.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
hypurone

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 09:56:53 AM »

I wanted to know which rotors Larry is running. There are 3 listed.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: