Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 05:16:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1200 R / Rapid Bike  (Read 4125 times)
Capt baz

TITANIUM MEAT PUPPET

« on: December 28, 2016, 05:15:15 AM »

Just purchased the Rapid Bike EVO  for my '16 1200 R from Guido @ Shift-Tech. Is any one running this? Comments??

"It will not go in deepr than it is long"

2016 M 1200 R, Vivid Black, Termignoni, Rapid Bike EVO, EVOTECH Engine/Cooler guards & Tail Tidy, Rizoma Circuit 851 mirrors, Motodemic Adaptive LED Headlight, carbon fiber everywhere........ Kiss French/Ride Italian
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »

Lack of response is probably due to more commonly used tuning devices being the norm. My feeling is that whatever device you use, you will get the best result from tuning it on a dyno by a skilled operator. Canned maps can be close and close enough, but don't always match your individual bike. I use Dynojet Powecommander products due to them being common enough that you can find a reasonably skilled dyno operator that can tune them with a Dynojet dyno that interfaces well with the device. Shop around for a dyno shop that knows Rapidbike devices.

2015 Scrambler 800
Capt baz

TITANIUM MEAT PUPPET

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 05:50:26 PM »

Lack of response is probably due to more commonly used tuning devices being the norm. My feeling is that whatever device you use, you will get the best result from tuning it on a dyno by a skilled operator. Canned maps can be close and close enough, but don't always match your individual bike. I use Dynojet Powecommander products due to them being common enough that you can find a reasonably skilled dyno operator that can tune them with a Dynojet dyno that interfaces well with the device. Shop around for a dyno shop that knows Rapidbike devices.

koko64,   

Thanks for the response........... after, not a lot........ Did a Power Commander on my '05 S2R 800. Worked great with a dyno dial in. Was't much for the '16 1200R out there & did below based on my research.

http://shift-tech-carbon.com/onlineshop/product_info.php?products_id=1991

Thanks Again,

Capt

2016 M 1200 R, Vivid Black, Termignoni, Rapid Bike EVO, EVOTECH Engine/Cooler guards & Tail Tidy, Rizoma Circuit 851 mirrors, Motodemic Adaptive LED Headlight, carbon fiber everywhere........ Kiss French/Ride Italian
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:27:38 AM »

Very interesting, sounds similar to the Powercommander Autotune set up. Please let us know how it goes over time. You could post your impressions in the official closed loop ECU mods section.
Cheers.

2015 Scrambler 800
EEL

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 08:08:02 AM »

The rapid bike EVO from the rapidbike website applies to the 1200 Models. So if shift tech is stating that this is compatible with the 1200R its probably compatible with the 1200S and 1200 models as well. The website doesnt specifically list the 1200R on their compatibility

That said, now you have dynojet and bazazz systems come into play as well.

I followed suit with the dynojet as well because of their local availability of dyno shops but have run the autotune unit for the interim. If local availability isnt a factor, for others who endeavor to do this, I think the bazazz units offer a lot of adjustability as well and are well received.

Capt baz

TITANIUM MEAT PUPPET

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 05:54:51 AM »

The rapid bike EVO from the rapidbike website applies to the 1200 Models. So if shift tech is stating that this is compatible with the 1200R its probably compatible with the 1200S and 1200 models as well. The website doesnt specifically list the 1200R on their compatibility

That said, now you have dynojet and bazazz systems come into play as well.

I followed suit with the dynojet as well because of their local availability of dyno shops but have run the autotune unit for the interim. If local availability isnt a factor, for others who endeavor to do this, I think the bazazz units offer a lot of adjustability as well and are well received.

My RapidBike module is  specifically for the 1200R. Says it on the box & installation instructions. 1200 & 1200S are different.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 12:23:43 PM by Capt baz » Logged

EEL

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »

You're 100% I looked again and saw that they differentiate in the pulldown menu
Capt baz

TITANIUM MEAT PUPPET

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 06:43:40 AM »

After a long drawn out winter I finally made an appointment with my Ducati dealer service department to have the RAPiD BIKE tuner installed the beginning of April. First, it did not fit where it was supposed to. It hit the fuel tank, or if moved down to clear the tank, the wiring was pinched or would be chaffing heavily on adjacent components. I went to the dealership (70 miles one way) to see it. The installation instruction show a pic of it installed with the tank removed. I was shown what was the issue & agreed it would not fit there with out detrimental interference problems. The head Ducati mechanic showed me a spot it would fit which was under the seat, where the 821, 1200 & 1200S shows it. The seat frames are different in that area than the 1200R, but some plastic could be cut to allow it there. I agreed to the minor mod to install it. After it was installed it threw a CEL light that the mechanic could get to go out. but it would reappear. I went to pick up the bike & ride it home. No CEL @ that time. Not even 100 yards down the road the CEL came on. I was reluctant to make the ride home but I did it. What happened over the next couple days was on......off.......on....off with no rhyme or reason. I called the dealership & spoke with the head Ducati guy & he was baffled. At that point I contacted Shift-Tech where I purchased it, & contacted Cycle Pro who is the US rep for RAPiD BIKE. Told them of the fitment issue + the CEL problem. Yaman @ Cycle Pro told me he was aware of the problem that was common on the 821,1200 & 1200S, & especially the 1200R. He said he would send me a download & some connection site that would allow him to get into the module & for sure fix it. This program is not compatible with Mac, which is all I have + this kind of stuff is way over my head. I made arrangements to have it forwarded to the dealership & make another appointment to allow Yaman access to my module through the internet. Bam boom the CEL was out, the mechanic rode it several times no CEL. Went there picked it up & rode it home. Next day I ride it to work & on the way home....CEL. I contacted Yaman immediately. This has been very disappointing, + costly. I was offered to return it with a refund, which would mean another appointment & labor charge to have it removed. I must say what it transformed the engine performance to is remarkable. Not sure I could ever get used to riding  around with the CEL on. On the models mentioned above I would absolutely not recommend buying this. I don't really see anything else out there for the 1200R.

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 01:37:42 PM »

Thanks for the report.
I have seen the same symptoms with devices from two other companies that claim they can completely over ride the closed loop portion of the mapping. That was on my HM1100 Evo and the CEL appeared after an hour of riding. From discussion in the closed loop thread it appears some ECU's can check in on the O2 sensors and detect intrusive devices or at least a change in the operation sensors in the system. Assuming that's the case here it seems the later model ECU in your bike is even more vigilant in detecting devices attempting to overcome the closed loop programme.

Bar a reflash becoming available it may be that the ECU will continue to periodically monitor the system. I dont know what the long term effects may be; limp mode perhaps?
I'm an older carb guy but others more knowledgable about EFI should soon chime in.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:46:05 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: