Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:30:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Video: good helmet vs very cheap helmet  (Read 4654 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« on: September 21, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »

I've personally never considered buying a $30 helmet off of ebay, nor am I surprised that there is so much difference between the two.  So this video doesn't change anything about my future helmet plans.  Still, it was interesting to see just how badly the "helmet" helmet performed.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 01:22:44 PM »

Also, I assume that was a bb gun and not an actual rifle, right?  I mean, I doubt a Scorpion or any helmet could hold up to 6 rounds from an assault rifle.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 01:37:03 PM »

Correct.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »

Fortnine's "crush test" series are fun to watch.
I like them.

I posted these on another forum.

It is pretty impressive that Nolan N44's chin bar, while it came off, did a good job protecting the watermelon inside.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 04:59:01 PM »

Yeah, protection always seems like such a dark art as most evidence is anecdotal.  Nice to see moto gear being put to some actual abuse.

S21FOLGORE

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 06:59:14 PM »

One thing you can do, to see how much you can trust gear company's claim about safety, is to check if the manufacturers show the test data / result done by third party (not by the manufacturer  themselves.)

Aerostich, Forcefield, Hit-Air, for example, do.

(Of course, that's not the only thing. There are products / companies that offer great protection though no third party test data available.)

On the other hand, there are tons of misleading, misguiding info floating around on the net, so people should be careful what information to pick up, what to discard.

SHARP rating system is such an example.
It's quickly spread out in the online motorcycle community. Somehow, people liked it, believing cheap lower end HIC helmet is safter than Arai or Schuberth that cost 3 times more.
A lot of people still believe SHARP 5-star rated helmet is the safest helmet on the market, some guys buy "5-star" rated helmet that doesn't fit correctly, compress EPS liner by spoon or baseball bat in order to get rid of hot spot.

Don’t blindingly trust things you read online. Including SHARP helmet rating system.

SHARP helmet rating system is NOT a god send. It is flawed, just like any other system we have in this world.
Read the PDF file linked below, before taking SHARP rating as gospel.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documen...ftheSHARPmotorcyclehelmetratingsweb600150.pdf

Flaw #1
They always have the impact on the same place on the outer shell of the helmets they test. This does not take into account that different helmets sit differently on the head, meaning that the SHARP impacts are actually hitting different parts of the head (not the helmet) with different helmets.

Flaw #2
Because they always have the impact on the same place, for the manufacturer that produce cheaper helmet, it is very easy to produce a helmet that would score good in SHARP testing. (They know exactly which part of the helmet is going to be tested.)
Real high end manufacture spend time and money on R&D to develop the helmet that would protect the rider's head in the real world crush, rather than trying to get a good score at overly simplified SHARP test.
For the cheap helmet manufactures, this is a great way to advertise their product.

Flaw #3
You can read it in the PDF file above, but, in short, the SHARP test is fundamentally flawed because it utilizes a faulty model for accident mechanics, leading to an up to 300% higher chance of a deadly injury in the SHARP model compared to reality. Since they then award their stars on the basis of how many riders would die with that helmet if all riders wore it, that makes their star rating somewhat unreliable.

Flaw #4
If you live outside of UK, SHARP rating is pretty much meaningless as the test is done to the store bought helmet (in UK), therefore, the test result does not apply to the other market. (Helmet manufacturers sell different spec helmet from market to market, even if the helmet has the same model name.)

Example
A lot of people in US thought SHOEI RF-1100 was one of the safest helmet because it 5-star rated in SHARP.
The truth is, SHOEI RF-1100 is NOT 5 star rated helmet. It s XR-1100 that is tested in SHARP.
They look identical, but they are internally different. XR-1100 weigh only 1,350g, whereas RF-1100 weigh 1,746g.
RF-1100 is Snell 2010 rated, XR-1100 (both euro-market model and Japanese domestic model) is not.
The significant weight gain comes from making the helmet to pass Snell 2010.

Flaw #5
Remember how Marco Simoncelli died. (If you don't know who he was, do the goggle search.)

He was wearing AGV GP tech, which was rated 5 star in the SHARP rating system. And the helmet came off from his head because the chin strap failed.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:32:36 PM by S21FOLGORE » Logged
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »

~~~SNIP~~~

Flaw #5
Remember how Marco Simoncelli died. (If you don't know who he was, do the goggle search.)

*******VIDEO*********

He was wearing AGV GP tech, which was rated 5 star in the SHARP rating system. And the helmet came off from his head because the chin strap failed.

Using any part of Simoncelli's crash as evidence for the fitness (or lack thereof) of his safety gear is inappropriate.
Simoncelli died because he got squashed between his own bike and Edwards', not because his helmet came off.
There is no raceworthy safety gear that would have saved him.

Yes, his helmet came off, because chinstraps have limited strength, for a reason.
It would be very easy to fit helmets with stronger chinstraps, but if the crash pulls your head off of your body, well, that's too strong.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
S21FOLGORE

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 09:07:08 PM »

Point taken.

He was struck in the body by Edward's bike (He was hanging on the right hand side of his own bike), struck in the head by Rossi's bike, so ... as Moto GP official said, it wan unpreventable, most probably.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: